Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess where the now most precious metal Palladium is used? Catalytic Converters. Peaking now at over $2250/oz, thieves are now stealing cats right off parked cars with increasing frequency. So keep an eye on your cats, and if you think you might need new ones anytime soon, better buy them before they become unaffordable. Wish I had bought some in 2016,

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They use sawzalls. In and out in a minute. Hybrid cats seem to be the most popular.
I guess the good news is at least the copper in our air conditioners is probably safe now. Based on what limited experience I've had with exhaust parts disassembly, I would have guessed they used acetylene torches, but sawzalls would work. I guess they work so fast the noise the saw makes doesn't concern them, but now I know what to listen for. What makes the hybrids so popular? More Palladium in them, or more demand?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
How much palladium is in a cat? Maybe I should sell mine and buy a 4Runner!!

also is there any way to protectyour cats?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yep, they use cordless sawzalls, faster than you think. At my last job, a colleague came out to the parking lot after work, started up his brand-new Jeep, and found his exhaust was very loud. Seems the brazen thieves came down the driveway during business hours, in broad daylight, came to the parking lot behind our building and it was gone. Cops reported they hit several businesses and vehicles that day.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much palladium is in a cat? Maybe I should sell mine and buy a 4Runner!!

also is there any way to protectyour cats?
Not much but the older cars had larger cats with more rare metals. Some even used Rhodium which is now in the $16,000/oz range. It's not used now due to price. So if you're selling an older car factor that in the price. That old cat might be worth more than you're asking for the rest of the car!

I don't know how you'd protect your cats short of parking in a locked garage. (indoor cats)

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Not much but the older cars had larger cats with more rare metals. Some even used Rhodium which is now in the $16,000/oz range. It's not used now due to price. So if you're selling an older car factor that in the price. That old cat might be worth more than you're asking for the rest of the car!

I don't know how you'd protect your cats short of parking in a locked garage. (indoor cats)
My cat don't need protection.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I'm guessing I live in an OK neighborhood, AND park 2 or the 3 vehicles in a locked garage at night.
My 01 V8 truck still has it's pre carts, I had the 3rd cat re located to the dumpster at a muffler shop in San Antonio years ago!

Those dern cats

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Like wheel locks for wheels the intent is the thief will look for an easier target. OEM CAT prices are high and then there is the installation and repair for any damages from the sawzall. For example these bastards don’t typically unscrew the O2 sensors etc

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like wheel locks for wheels the intent is the thief will look for an easier target. OEM CAT prices are high and then there is the installation and repair for any damages from the sawzall. For example these bastards don’t typically unscrew the O2 sensors etc
Geesh! You'd think they'd be a little more considerate and carefully unscrew the O2 sensors and knock on your door and hand them to you so they don't get damaged or lost.

I like the CatClamp design ... looks like a chastity belt for that tube in the middle.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
jimmaki realized too late you can't edit a thread title when he said:
Keep and eye on your Cats!!

There's an app for that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts