Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,266 Posts
Do you already have rails or are you needing from the roof skin up?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Any of the usual suspects (Yakima, Thule...) will solve the problem of moving a kayak from here to there. In my area, you can buy that stuff for 50% off on Craigslist all the time.

The real problem with roof racks on a Pilot is the height, and the challenges that creates for loading / unloading / securing the load. Finding a good way to manage lifting / lowering the boat and securing / releasing tie-downs up there is what will determine how well you like the rack, especially if you want to be able to do it solo. I use Yakima racks for bikes, but I have to run the trays out at the edge of the vehicle to be able to load and unload. If I was still boating, I would want the Yakima roller racks to enable loading / unloading from the rear. For me, side-loading would only be reliably safe with a ladder.

I suggest standing on the running board vs. rear wheel vs. a step-stool to see which feels best for getting your hands where you need them. Once you know how you want to work comfortably above the roof, you can look for a rack system to make that easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm using OEM Honda crossbars with a pair of Thule J-racks, and a gorilla step ladder with wide steps. I load a Vision 130 13' (40lbs) and a vision 140 14' (43lbs) on them. Pictured is the 140.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts