Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is that and why is it recommended or is almost always mentioned when using Mobil Syn 5W-30?

Also, would using Mobil Syn 5W-30 along with the K&N filter be worth the extra cost for the sake of the engine?

If not using the Mobil/K&N combination with every oil change, would using those 2 say every second or third oil change be better than not using them ever and just sticking with Honda's recommended oil and filter for the Pilot?

Any other input or suggestions about the oil changes for my car would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
408 Posts
RipRocK said:
What is that and why is it recommended or is almost always mentioned when using Mobil Syn 5W-30?

Also, would using Mobil Syn 5W-30 along with the K&N filter be worth the extra cost for the sake of the engine?

If not using the Mobil/K&N combination with every oil change, would using those 2 say every second or third oil change be better than not using them ever and just sticking with Honda's recommended oil and filter for the Pilot?

Any other input or suggestions about the oil changes for my car would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
K & N are air filters, this particular filters allow more air in to the cambers so the combustion will be more powerful with more force for the truck and lest gas, if is good for our truck? I do not know?

Syn mobil oil 5W 30W good for Honda engines also the Sync composition made metal parts more resistance to friction and stick longer on shaft also the interval for and oil change is almost double of a regular oil.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Air filter...

A Revolution In Air Filter Technology

High Air Flow with Excellent Filtration
Designed to Increase Horsepower and Acceleration
Washable and Reusable
Will NOT Void Vehicle Warranty
Lasts up to 50,000 miles before cleaning is required depending on driving conditions
10 Year / Million Mile Limited Warranty
Emissions Legal in all 50 US States.
Economical, a K&N Air Filter Will Last the Life of Your Vehicle
Works with Original Equipment Manufacturer Vehicle Electronics
Environmentally Friendly, K&N Reusable Air Filters Reduce the Volume of Disposable Air Filters that end up in the Nation's Landfills

Oil filter...

What makes K&N oil filters better?

The K&N Performance Gold® Oil Filter has been constructed from the ground up to satisfy the high performance needs of race car owners and drivers, as well as the average vehicle owner who wants the very best oil filter available. Our oil filter's efficiency rating meets or exceeds the requirements of high performance automotive engine builders. The heavy duty construction provides over 550 PSI hydrostatic burst*, and helps reduce the risk of rock and stone damage.

The real quality isn't just on the outside... the inner filter element traps contaminant as small as 10 to 20 microns in size. We use metal top end caps instead of paper to ensure that no unfiltered oil can get back into the system. The solid construction allows for oil flow rates between 12-16 gpm (depending on filter size), and is unaffected by racing fuels. All K&N Performance Gold® Oil Filters are manufactured to exacting engineering standards. They are covered by a limited warranty to be free from defects in materials and workmanship when installed and replaced using engine and equipment manufacturers recommended service interval.

...A note on synthetic oil...

If you want to use syn oil...awesome!!! But, don't switch back and forth b/t syn and petro because you happen to be light on cash one particular month. That reason that many of us do our own oil changes is so that we can get a syn oil change with a quality filter for the price of a conventional oil change. For example, I use K&N oil filters with Mobile1 5W-30 oil in my Pilot. Total cost for 5 qts of oil plus filter=$26.25...not bad for one of the best combos one can get. For <$30 every 7500 miles, you get peace of mind knowing that your car had max protection against wear and tear. Just my thoughts...:cool:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Air Filter Logic

"this particular filters allow more air in to the cambers so the combustion will be more powerful with more force for the truck and lest gas,"

1. The single biggest restriction to air flow at all throttle settings other than FULL, is the throttle plate.

2. More air means more fuel to make more power.

Except for Race and High Performance applications, I would not expect more power and/or more economy from changing air filters.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: Air Filter Logic

N_Jay said:
Except for Race and High Performance applications, I would not expect more power and/or more economy from changing air filters.
N_Jay,

I would beg to differ. I have used K&N air filters in my Accord and now my Pilot and HAVE noticed a difference in both fuel economy and acceleration.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Not saying they are bad, just a logic problem with the explanation given.
My OPINION (take it for what it is worth) is;
1. you are getting a very small increase in power at full throtttle and near full throttle.
Not sure how often you floor your Pilot?
2. you are getting a relitively large increase in perceived power due to the added intake noise.
3. any increase in gas mialge is statistically insignificant or due to break-in.

P.S. I love K&Ns, on my 914 (it spends much of its running life at or near full throttle!! :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Going back to the original post and question. Mobile1 and K&N oil filters are considered highest quality by many. If you read other forums you will find debates about which is the best oil (Mobile1, Amsoil, etc) or filter (Mobil1, K&N, PureOne, etc). All of these are excellent but Mobil1 oil and Purolater PureOne are probably the easiest to find. Amsoil will tell you that you can extend your oil change interval while Mobil1 does not. Be aware that extending your oil change beyond the recommended interval will void your warranty.

I have not heard of people using syn oil every 2nd or 3rd oil change, most people either always use it or not at all. If you follow the severe schedule and change your oil every 3750 miles I don't think it will make a difference which oil and filter you use.

·
Registered
920 Posts
pjb3 said:
Going back to the original post and question. Mobile1 and K&N oil filters are considered highest quality by many. If you read other forums you will find debates about which is the best oil (Mobile1, Amsoil, etc) or filter (Mobil1, K&N, PureOne, etc). All of these are excellent but Mobil1 oil and Purolater PureOne are probably the easiest to find. Amsoil will tell you that you can extend your oil change interval while Mobil1 does not. Be aware that extending your oil change beyond the recommended interval will void your warranty.

I have not heard of people using syn oil every 2nd or 3rd oil change, most people either always use it or not at all. If you follow the severe schedule and change your oil every 3750 miles I don't think it will make a difference which oil and filter you use.
If you are planning to change your oil every 3750 miles, save your money and use petro-based oil. I use Mobil1 and K&N for two reasons...

1. Oil changes at 7500 miles
2. Superior protection for the 7500 miles

BTW...going longer than the 3750 will not void your warranty. Mercedes regularily go 15,000 miles b/t oil changes on Mobil1...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I did not say going longer than 3750 would void the warranty I said extending beyond the recommended interval would. In Honda's case that is 7,500 miles.

There is no comparison between Honda and Mercedes service intervals. I haven't looked at a MB service manual recently but I believe they are similar to BMW and use a sensor to measure the oil quality or life. This life is influenced by the oil, the way the vehicle is driven, the engine itself, and the capacity of the oil pan.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Another thing to point out is that you do not replace K&N Filters at all. So when you do an oil change, that's all you do. The K&N you take out wash with soap and water then use the spray on filtercharger and put back in the vehicle. So in time the other added benefit is the money you save on air filters.

PrG

·
Registered
920 Posts
PrG said:
Another thing to point out is that you do not replace K&N Filters at all. So when you do an oil change, that's all you do. The K&N you take out wash with soap and water then use the spray on filtercharger and put back in the vehicle. So in time the other added benefit is the money you save on air filters.

PrG
You make it sound like you don't need to replace the oil filter. Not so. You still need to replace the oil filter every time. The air filter is the one that you clean and re-install. Just so that people don't think that once you buy a $10 oil filter, you have it for life...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
That's what we're talking about right ... K&N Air Filters ...

That's what I'm talking about ...

·
Registered
920 Posts
PrG said:
That's what we're talking about right ... K&N Air Filters ...

That's what I'm talking about ...
We were actually discussing both...I just wanted to clarify the distinction b/t the air vs. the oil filter so that people don't think that the oil filter can be cleaned as well-

·
Registered
29 Posts
OIL CHANGES

PLEASE USE HONDA'S RECOMMENDED OIL GRADE 5W20. IF YOU GET IT CHANGED AT A GARAGE THEY WILL PROBABLY PUT IN 5W30 OR 10W30. THOSE BY NO MEANS WILL DISTROY YOUR ENGINE. BUT HONDA HAS FOUND SOME REASON TO USE 5W20. A LOT OF THE NEWER VEHICLES HAVE SWITCH TO THAT GRADE(5W20). I KNOW FORD HAS BUT YOU MUST ASK FOR 5W20 GRADE OIL IF YOU GO TO A GARAGE. EVEN THOUGH IT IS LABELED ON YOU OIL FILL CAP. THEY BUY THE OTHER GRADES 10W30 AND 5W30 BUY BULK SO THAT IS WHAT THEY WILL PUT IN IF YOU DONT TELL THEM OTHERWISE..

·
Registered
919 Posts
Romad,

The 5W20 is recommended now simply to improve fuel economy. Ford and Honda have both done this for 2003. Most 2002 engines from these manufacturers are the same as the new engines, but they recommend 5W30 for 2002. Do a search and you'll find lots of great information on this site as well as the Acura site on this topic.

Also, try not to type your messages in all CAPS. This is interpreted as shouting on Internet forums.

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts