Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted here in about 5 years but I still owned my '03 Pilot until last week. Man, I loved that car. 182,500 miles and CRAZY reliable. Wow, has this place changed and not for the better. I guess we can thank Vertical Scope for that. They ruin every forum they touch. I bought a 2019 RDX Advance in February, so I'm hanging out over at Acurazine now. I hope they keep their Canadian paws off that forum.

The only major repair in 16 years was the AC compressor. It seized up about a year ago and melted the serpentine belt. That cost me about $1600 but I was shocked to discover that I was still grandfathered in to GEICO's "breakdown insurance" that I didn't even know I still had. They covered all but the $250 deductible. A few months later, the harmonic damper came off, which I'll assume was partly caused by the seized belt.

That's about it. Other than that, all I can think of was a few minor things. I replaced the rear AC blower myself pretty early on. Common problem in Gen 1. The lights on the HVAC panel were all gone. The solenoid in the passenger door power lock crapped out. And that's about it. I sold the car to a woman I work with, I was straight with her and she's just fine with it.

I thought about giving the car another life. A new set of tires, rear diff fluid and a tranny flush and I could easily have gotten another 3-5 years out of it at reduced usage. But I probably would not do the timing belt again. I sold it for $2600 and I think it was a steal. But I didn't really need it with Acura's loaner policy.

I was very active on this forum for the first 6-7 years I owned the car and I had a great time here. Originally, it was hondapilot.org. It was better then. Too bad it sucks so much now.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I haven't posted here in about 5 years but I still owned my '03 Pilot until last week. Man, I loved that car. 182,500 miles and CRAZY reliable.
I bought a 2019 RDX Advance in February, so I'm hanging out over at Acurazine now.
How is the RDX working out for you, so far?

I've owned a couple of Acuras in the past, so I've been considering the RDX.
The problems with fuel dilution of the oil in the 1.5L turbo motor in the CR-V concern me.
I've been waiting to see if the 2.0L turbo motor in the RDX begins to exhibit any similar issues.
Trying to decide if I should have the timing belt replaced another time on my 2003 and keep it a while longer or make the leap to something new.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far, I love it. I was leaning toward a 2019 Pilot until I test drove the RDX. Three times!! :D I just couldn't pull myself away from the way it handles. None of the other cars I test drove came close. And the new Pilot probably wouldn't fit in my garage. More car than I need now but the RDX is just right. The third row in all these SUVs/CUVs is a joke and I don't think I used it more than 3 times in 16 years. Just a waste of cargo space.

My thinking changed during the process. Originally, I wanted no part of a four-banger or a turbo. But I came to realize they've improved them quite a bit over the years.

A lot of people complain about the touch pad and the infotainment system (as opposed to a touch screen interface). I never had any problems using it and I've come to prefer it. I'd say the only down side is the additional console space it occupies. But it's a nice UI design, IMO.

I'm disappointed it doesn't come with power folding mirrors, but I knew that before I bought the car. Still not available on the 2020 in the US but they are available in Canada. Doesn't make sense but for me, none of the shortcomings were deal-breakers.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I was leaning toward a 2019 Pilot until I test drove the RDX. Three times!! :D I just couldn't pull myself away from the way it handles. None of the other cars I test drove came close.
What other vehicles did you test drive?
Did you try the Passport?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What other vehicles did you test drive?
Did you try the Passport?
The memorble ones were the Pilot, Highlander, Murano and RX350. The Lexus was nice but way overpriced, IMO.

No, I never drove the Passport because when I was shopping in Jan/Feb, they hadn't shown up at dealers yet. They started to show up about 2 weeks before I pulled the trigger at the end of February. I thought about going back and trying one but I was already in negotiation with two dealers on the RDX and I had pretty much decided on it. If the Passport had been available earlier in the process I know I would have given it serious consideration. After the RDX, the Pilot was second on my list, even over the Lexus. A few weeks after I got my Acura, A coworker started leasing a Passport and he really likes it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts