Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

My girlfriend and I just bought and 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD with only 110,000 miles on it. The previous owner replaced the battery, timing belt, front right and front middle motor mount (not sure what this means), power steering pump, A/C hose, and water pump.

So it seems like a lot of maintenance was done prior to us buying the vehicle which influenced our decision to purchase it. Now that we're the new owners, we want to use this vehicle as a road trip car for camping primarily.

Does anyone recommend any maintenance we should do to the vehicle as new owners and since the mileage is up there at over 100,000 miles. Should we replace the transmission fluid? I read somewhere we should replace the differential fluid (not sure what that is)?

Also, we want to get the Pilot lifted at least 2.5 inches in the front and 2 inches in the rear, can anyone recommend a good quality lift kit for that?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2007 EX-L 219K
16 Posts
Congrats on the new/old Pilot. Finding one with less than 150k can be hard. I followed the "First-Gen Pilot Buyer's Guide" advice which includes great info on maintenance. This forum is a great source of knowledge. My comments represent a personal opinion. Get to know your Pilot by reading the Owners Manual.

Make sure you are relying on verified information regarding replacement of timing belt, water pump and other items mentioned (receipts etc.). Most initial timing belt replacements (by dealership) end with the tech placing a service sticker under the hood that indicates the date of TB service.

Use the Honda maintenance minder as guide but not gospel for routine maintenance. I consider mileage or time to be more important than relying only on the maintenance minder. Example: Member recommended maintenance schedule. Use the Forum's advance search function for many other examples.

Use the Oil change indicator for next oil change but consider new fluid drain and fill (D&F) for transmission, power steering, brake and rear differential, essentially creating a new baseline reference for the future. Do not "flush" any fluids, meaning shop lingo for hooking up to a machine or service that "flushes" a fluid. Take some time on this forum to understand the D&F process.

Use only Honda fluids for transmission, power steering and VTM-4. Transmission fluid choice has been widely debated on this forum and my conclusion is that Valvoline MaxLife ATF is a better choice for 1st Gen Pilots than OEM. That said, please check other comments regarding ATF fluid and specific Pilot generations. Example:
MaxLife ATF, Why?
Aftermarket vs. Honda ATF

Lift Kit choice is limited but use the Advance Search for more info. Example: Lift Kit

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,178 Posts
You did say lift kit ? LOL

Reactions: LandORust

·
Registered
2007 EX-L 219K
16 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,259 Posts
Should we replace the transmission fluid? I read somewhere we should replace the differential fluid (not sure what that is)?

A little further down on the Buyer's Guide sticky thread thoughtfully linked to above is a post about which fluids to use, and I’m going to unabashedly link to it. :)

·
Registered
2007 EX-L 219K
16 Posts
A little further down on the Buyer's Guide sticky thread thoughtfully linked to above is a post about which fluids to use, and I’m going to unabashedly link to it. :)

(y)

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 6 of 6 Posts