Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a vehicle of this size, I thought that rear splash guards would be important to protect the paint and all. They should be in my hands sometime next week and I'll be sure to post some pics of the installation process, which I'm sure will be easy!;) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
I would agree, air. Generally speaking, I am quite happy with the value of our MSRP Pilot purchase, but this is one of those little things that makes me wonder if Honda isn't unnecessarily squeezing us just a bit. Regardless, I, too, have my order in for the rear guards.

pjl56

airgate said:
For a vehicle of this size, I thought that rear splash guards would be important to protect the paint and all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Maybe,But?

I remember my 1983 Honda Civic did not come with front guards.
I had to pay about $30 for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Re: Maybe,But?

N_Jay said:
I remember my 1983 Honda Civic did not come with front guards.
I had to pay about $30 for them.
And that was wrong of Honda, just plain wrong! :14:

With tongue in cheek and billfold out to buy more Pilot accessories, I am...

pjl56
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Question for

all of you ordering rear splash guards. I had similar types of splash guards on previous vehicles. While they did a "fair" job of protecting the rear quarter panels, they did, on occasion, cause other problems. I once ripped one off (to the detriment of the rest of the area where it was attached) while driving on the sand at Kittyhawk. Another time the area between the guard and the rear tire got so packed full of ice and slush while driving on the Interstate during a Michigan winter that, when I stopped for gas, it froze up and the tire didn't want to move. I had to chip it away because I was afraid I would shred the tire. The front doesn't seem to cause a problem because of the constant turning of the wheels while steering. Just wanted to know if anyone else had similar problems or any concerns about installing these rear splash guards?:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Installed in less than 15 minutes

My rear mud guards arrived Wednesday, and I installed them in less than 15 minutes. One of the screws that needed to be removed from the bumper was stripped, but I was able to get it out by pushing on it from the back while I turned it. :29:

There is a risk of damaging them while off-roading through loose ground, but I've never actually hurt them on other vehicles. I have experienced the build up of ice while driving through heavy Michigan snow, but never had it freeze to the tire. I usually just kick off the accumulation, or use the handle of my ice scrapper to remove it more gently. :27: It doesn't seem to happen that often, but then again, "it just doesn't snow like it used to when I was a kid!!"

Funny story about my wife's Civic she had years ago. It had front & rear mud guards. I noticed they were becomming abraded on the bottoms, but couldn't figure out why. Then one day I rode home from work with her. The street outside her parking structure is a rather steep downhill, one-way run. The intersection at the bottom has a noticable hump in it. She goes flying down the hill to make it through the green light and whoa! Up and over that hump at about 35 MPH, and on the down side GRIND! The tips of her mud guards become one with the road. And she laughs. She loves that intersection!

:5:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Re: Question for

co- I've had similar "problems" with the snow/ice buildup between the wheel and rear splash guards, but no real ill effect from that other than the labor component of hacking the build-up out. My rear guards should be arriving any day, completing the symmetry of having all four in place. I still don't understand the logic of Honda providing just the front ones, other than a profit motive.

copilot said:
all of you ordering rear splash guards. I had similar types of splash guards on previous vehicles. While they did a "fair" job of protecting the rear quarter panels, they did, on occasion, cause other problems. I once ripped one off (to the detriment of the rest of the area where it was attached) while driving on the sand at Kittyhawk. Another time the area between the guard and the rear tire got so packed full of ice and slush while driving on the Interstate during a Michigan winter that, when I stopped for gas, it froze up and the tire didn't want to move. I had to chip it away because I was afraid I would shred the tire. The front doesn't seem to cause a problem because of the constant turning of the wheels while steering. Just wanted to know if anyone else had similar problems or any concerns about installing these rear splash guards?:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Re: Installed in less than 15 minutes

a2- I like your wife's style! :22:

a2Pilot said:
Funny story about my wife's Civic she had years ago. It had front & rear mud guards. I noticed they were becomming abraded on the bottoms, but couldn't figure out why. Then one day I rode home from work with her. The street outside her parking structure is a rather steep downhill, one-way run. The intersection at the bottom has a noticable hump in it. She goes flying down the hill to make it through the green light and whoa! Up and over that hump at about 35 MPH, and on the down side GRIND! The tips of her mud guards become one with the road. And she laughs. She loves that intersection!

:5:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Got my guards yesterday

Of course the Pilot does not show up for 2 more weeks.
I did notice to my dismay that they are a relitivly hard plastic vs the softer rubber like of the CR-V front guards.
Yes the Pilot shipd missing th eback,an dthe CR-V ships missing the front. Go Figure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Re: Got My Guards

You own the guards but not the car, N_Jay? You've got PD (Pilot Disease, but its a good thing :D) baaaaaad, dontcha??? :4:

N_Jay said:
Of course the Pilot does not show up for 2 more weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just received my rear splash guards today. I ordered them from www.handaaccessories.com

I've ordered numerous accessories from HandA for my S2000 in the past and have always received great service.

Looking forward to installing them later today and I'll take some pics to share.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Couldn't pass up Tim's 10% offer

Besides, I told my dealer to get me a Pilot when I picked up my CR-V in December. It just took him a while to get the one I wanted.
HB EX-L
soon to have;
Running Boards
Air Deflector
Mug Flaps
Trailer Hitch Package
All Weather Mats
Fog Lights
Cross Bars

Or Should I say, all these parts, soon to have an EX-L :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Couldn't pass up Tim's 10% offer

I was thinking that they were used on the rim to keep the beer from sloshing out when you clinked glasses together.

Mug flap users --> :7:.

See? No spillage!

Len said:


You use them to keep your beer clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Mug Flaps :) Sorry

I only type with 2 to 4 fingers and The thums get in the way sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As promised. . .

Here are some installation pics for the rear splash guards. The installation came with NO instructions, but who needs those.:p I'm a guy and I would have only set the directions to the side!;)

At any rate, installation only required a Phillips screwdriver.

The first thing I did, was jack the rear tire up.


Now, with the tire off, I have plenty of room to work.


That was EASY!


And the finished product.


Removing the tires may not be necessary if you have some bent screwdrivers.:p The installation was less than 30 minutes and was very easy, even without instructions!:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Re: As promised. . .

air, I love you, man :D. Rear flaps came yesterday, you just made my install job easier today :)!

airgate said:
Here are some installation pics for the rear splash guards. The installation came with NO instructions, but who needs those.:p I'm a guy and I would have only set the directions to the side!;)

At any rate, installation only required a Phillips screwdriver.

The first thing I did, was jack the rear tire up.


Now, with the tire off, I have plenty of room to work.


That was EASY!


And the finished product.


Removing the tires may not be necessary if you have some bent screwdrivers.:p The installation was less than 30 minutes and was very easy, even without instructions!:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Re: As promised. . .

air: great pics. I am going to order my rear splash guards from Tim tomorrow. But is it really a pain to install it without removing the tire ?

airgate said:
Here are some installation pics for the rear splash guards. The installation came with NO instructions, but who needs those.:p I'm a guy and I would have only set the directions to the side!;)

At any rate, installation only required a Phillips screwdriver.

The first thing I did, was jack the rear tire up.


Now, with the tire off, I have plenty of room to work.


That was EASY!


And the finished product.


Removing the tires may not be necessary if you have some bent screwdrivers.:p The installation was less than 30 minutes and was very easy, even without instructions!:p
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top