Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of today, picked up an old commuter which has already had quite a life. It's an '04 EX with over 300k miles.

Few odd electrical bugs, a small whine from the transmission (or something), couple spots where paint chips have led to surface rust, but whoever drove it before took good care of this vehicle overall. Engine revs strong, doors shut crisply, and I swear I could eat off the engine block, that bay is so clean and tidy.

Even if I went out right away and had a shop rebuild the tranny, for what I paid I'd still be ahead of the game with how nice everything else is on the vehicle.

As to "why", given the age and high mileage and whatnot, I've also got an '86 Chevy K10 I am restoring, rebuilt the 700r4 transmission myself, and if the head gaskets are actually blowing out I'll end up building a "new" 353 for it as well. Not afraid to wrench and tinker and ask dumb questions so that I can learn more about servicing vehicles in my "fleet".

All that to say that I'm invested in the platform, the 3.5L Honda V6, and their 5-speed automatics, and will definitely be tapping maintenance and DIY information to keep this fun little SUV going and see if I can get it past a half mil, all while having some fun along the way.

Hope you are all doing well this evening! :)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)

a small whine from the transmission (or something),
If it matches RPMs, it's probably the alternator warning you it's about to croak.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
Welcome to the group.

Most vehicles run better when they are driven often, 300k is a lot but probably better than if it sat for a year or two.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
All that to say that I'm invested in the platform, the 3.5L Honda V6, and their 5-speed automatics, and will definitely be tapping maintenance and DIY information to keep this fun little SUV going and see if I can get it past a half mil, all while having some fun along the way.
Welcome @chronoblip ...check out this Piloteer exclusive first gen list

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes!

If it matches RPMs, it's probably the alternator warning you it's about to croak.
When sitting in park and I rev the engine, the whine isn't there, which was what made me lean towards something in the drivetrain. I'll put it up on stands though and let it free wheel and give it a walk-around. No service records, so there's stuff like belts and water pump which are often a good set of things to replace anyway, and so hitting some other known problem parts just to be starting off in a better place is no biggie.

Most vehicles run better when they are driven often, 300k is a lot but probably better than if it sat for a year or two.
I hear you on this, and I've always wanted a car that had done some crazy amount of miles. This Pilot will definitely get use, my wife is already telling me how she might take it over her '09 Odyssey depending on the errands she's going to be running. 😅

Welcome @chronoblip ...check out this Piloteer exclusive first gen list
Thank you for that list! Going through it, there were no red flags on this one, apart from perhaps what ends up being the source of that whine, and the rest of what was written there made me smile big and got me excited to get to work. As above, my wife's got an '09 Odyssey, so everything I learn on the one will have at least some degree of overlap on hers as well.

Already got a digital copy of Honda service manuals on order, am collecting youtube videos on the 5-speed transmission rebuilding process, and have located at least a dozen transmissions in varying condition which aren't too far away through www.car-part.com, so if it does end up being drivetrain I can have a spare to work on the bench and then swap in, and then rebuild the original one too.

Anyway, will try and upload some pictures and whatnot after church. Thanks again for the welcomes, and for all the information being shared. 😁

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Welcome to the Site!

The Piloteer lifestyle, oh brother, you don't know what you've done LOL. J/K

These engine rely on a belt driven SOHC. The belts should be replaced every 105K miles or so- religiously. It's an interference engine- so if the belt breaks while it's running- uh Oh.
If you can, check on when the belt was last done. It obviously been done 2 times since knew I'm sure. You may be up for a third. Many shops, even independents- use Car Fax- check the Car fax for what's been done to it repair wise too.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,836 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have fun wrenching on your Pilot. You’ll find lots of useful information and helpful folks in this site.

If you’re in need of OEM parts this is the place I get mine from since they sell at ~30% below list.

Reactions: chronoblip

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took a rather long nap and had to rush out and snap some quick pictures before it got too dark out. Tons of miles but impeccably clean, albeit not perfect. Was traded in at a Honda dealership for another Honda, so whoever had it before certainly stayed with the brand.

Am already searching for the new wheels/tires for when these "acceptable" HT tires wear out. Found one "dream wheel" series from Japan, where large and wide rims aren't all the rage, but dang are they expensive, and that would be prior to trying to deal with international shipping.

Anyway, now is the time to read, learn, and wrench. Maintenance before mods, right? 😁

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
This is the biggest reason why I got a great deal on the Pilot, because most folks are wary of
...finally running out of gas? Your light is on. :D

Found one "dream wheel" series from Japan, where large and wide rims aren't all the rage, but dang are they expensive, and that would be prior to trying to deal with international shipping.

Woah, you're not kidding. They're not giving those away.

Take good care of it and it'll take good care of you. Congrats! (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts