Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE; 2015 Pilot LX
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, searched it some. Using 2 different sites- sorry- didn't copy/paste the sources.

Here's what I found.

-That it closes the cylinders- valves closed, no injection, no spark on 3 cylinders.
It states it uses a sliding pin to take away the rocker arm opening the valve, etc.

Here:

Honda deactivates cylinders using a sliding pin that decouples the rocker arm. The intake and exhaust valves are decoupled and the cylinders are effectively sealed. The compression stroke has no intake and no exhaust; any air compressed is decompressed on the “power” stroke and pumping losses on the deactivated cylinders are eliminated.

and:

The ‘Variable Cylinder Management’ system analyzes throttle opening, vehicle speed, engine speed, and gearing to determine that the car is cruising, and then idles the intake and exhaust valves of the three cylinders in the rear cylinder bank. With zero valve lift, the cylinders are sealed, and no fuel is injected. Pumping losses are thus reduced by as much as 65% and low fuel consumption is realized.

When operating in 3-cylinder mode, engine vibration is reduced by extrapolating vibration from the change in crankshaft rotation speed and sending the information to the ‘active control’ engine mount, which compresses/extends an actuator in same-phase, same-period motion to dampen the engine mount. Similarly, a speaker creates an opposite phase sound or ‘active noise control’, to provide a canceling effect, for a quieter interior which leaves the driver unaware of changes in cylinder activation.

It's kind of what I figured, but didn't realize that from what this says, it has an electronic engine mount too? And a speaker? In the cab?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE; 2015 Pilot LX
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I believe your info is for 3rd Gen. Older model v6 valves open.
I haven't read that yet.

Here is a copy of the Honda news regarding the new J35 Earthdreams V6 with a good explanation of the VCM system operation. The VCM in the 2nd gen is different and is a two stage system as far as I know.
J35 Earthdreams V6
This one also states:

'The spark plugs continue to fire in inactive cylinders to minimize plug temperature loss and prevent fouling induced from incomplete combustion during cylinder re-activation. '

So it's NOT shutting the ignition on those cylinders after all.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I haven't read that yet.

This one also states:

'The spark plugs continue to fire in inactive cylinders to minimize plug temperature loss and prevent fouling induced from incomplete combustion during cylinder re-activation. '

So it's NOT shutting the ignition on those cylinders after all.
Is this some later improvement they implemented based on "popular demand"? :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts