Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to drop a note that I'm amazed that I actually hit 75k without any major mechanical issues other than the usual damn thing eats tires and rotors like candy. I built my own VCM mod back when I purchased her and had not much oil consumption ....

Hopefully I can get a couple more years out of her :)

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,971 Posts
Glad to hear yours is running smoothly thus far. My wife’s Pilot is also a tire chewing machine. 35-40k miles per a set of name brand tires is crazy, especially when they are 60-70k mile rated tires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Glad to hear yours is running smoothly thus far. My wife’s Pilot is also a tire chewing machine. 35-40k miles per a set of name brand tires is crazy, especially when they are 60-70k mile rated tires.
I consider her lucky. I get about 19 to 24k miles per set. I’m on my 4th set at 72k miles. All with even wear. Ridiculous!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yeah mine ate tires too. No rhyme or reason as the alignment was always in spec. Thankfully Michellin stepped in twice and pro rated them on new ones.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nice! I just crossed 60k and besides fluids & filters, the truck's needed tires and front pads & rotors. I also see rear brakes coming up soon, as the rotors are starting to get scored up.

I seem to be one of the few people that had good luck with the factory Michelins. They lasted nearly 60k and wore evenly down to the wear bars.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,971 Posts
Well then I do feel lucky that I’m not replacing rubber every 20k miles.
I went through warranty claim on a set of BFG tires. Got Michelins which didn’t last any longer. Said screw dealing with the warranty the second time around and went with cheaper tires from Yokohama. I figured it was a wash for cost difference and didn’t keep me married to BFG/Michelin.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went through 1 set of Geolanders 43K on them and my second set on now have about 32k and they are OK for now since there is no snow BUT since i do off road up in the Catskills I need to swap them out soon.
Thought I saw something like a wrangler with kevlar or something like that for a tire..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought mine with 80k........took it to Florida from Ohio the next week........thing ran like a top! When I’m due I think I’m gonna try Cooper SRX tires, they were great on my Sequoia!!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought mine with 80k........took it to Florida from Ohio the next week........thing ran like a top! When I’m due I think I’m gonna try Cooper SRX tires, they were great on my Sequoia!!
Cooper SRX tires for what I have heard those are great but how are they in heavy snow ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
are the 235s too narrow for this vehicle?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are the 235s too narrow for this vehicle?
Never had any issues .. Just the Pilot eating Tires like candy ..nothing I have found so far like others here have been able to make it the rated manufacture tires life ..Some have come close

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I put on the XL rated Pirellis, hopefully the higher rating results in a longer lifespan... The factory Michelins were shot by 40k on ours, 10k on the Pirellis so far.

It will be interesting to compare vehicles, the Traverse I drive is 400-500 lbs heavier but uses a 255 tire... I do plan on getting the Pirellis for the Traverse when the Goodyears on it are done (Fortera HL's, great in the snow, noisy when dry and feel a little greasy in the rain).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts