141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Told ya so. :p

Good one 🤣

How long does that MEGUIAR'S NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire Coating – Aerosol Spray for Insane Gloss -- last? I put some tire shine product on once a couple of years ago, and my tires looked all sheened like they were ready for a bodybuilding pageant, but it only lasted like 2½ days, and that was in good weather.
After a couple different applications, the extreme glossiness lasts for anywhere between 12-24 hours, after that it's still a nice rich black and still remains glossy for another 3-4 days, then it just looks like a deep black for a few more days. So I'd say it lasts for a week or so, assuming around 35 miles or so a day.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
When I first bought one of those tire sprays, I was under the illusion that the effect would last weeks or months. It didn't. Haven't bothered since.

I have since noticed this product has a successful following on used car lots.

·
Registered
20 Posts
one of the first things I did on my Pilot (used 07) was replacing the front strut assemblies AND complete pad & rotor job up front. after an alignment it rode great but nothing lasts forever right because the original steering rack and PS pump and tie rod ends are still there and will create some noise and slop eventually. I will definitely have to do my LCA, maybe next year. I had the passenger side cv shaft boot split and slung grease out everywhere underneath... that was a fun job, watch out for those boots keep your eye on them and catch the cracking early. also save up for some new o2 sensors as they will likely start failing over the next couple years. looking forward to the audio install.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
watch out for those boots keep your eye on them and catch the cracking early
You can keep them soft and supple to prolong their life by treating them to an occasional special spritz.

[Trigger Warning: The following video contains both Scotty Kilmer and AT-205! 🤪 ]

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
You can keep them soft and supple to prolong their life by treating them to an occasional special spritz.

[Trigger Warning: The following video contains both Scotty Kilmer and AT-205! 🤪 ]

Agreed, I already picked up a bottle of the stuff from Amazon, just gotta get a cheap spray bottle from the dollar store to put it in. Anyone tried brushing the stuff on?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
I think the wife is trying to tell me something... :rolleyes:

Is she saying I need to cut the bush, or that she wants a backup camera? 😅

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I think the wife is trying to tell me something... :rolleyes:

Is she saying I need to cut the bush, or that she wants a backup camera? 😅
Or she got dinged in the rear and is a bit embarrassed. :D

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
She wants those Cooper tires replaced with a set of high-performance Sumitomo tires.
They came with the vehicle and are pretty much "new" (that's how Firestone stated their condition on them when I visited for an alignment). Front's were also Coopers, but only had a few thousand miles of tread left on them when I bought the vehicle, and were replaced with Michelin Defender's. So now there are pretty much 4 new tires on the vehicle, so maybe when the vehicle reaches around 200k I'll look at those Sumitomo's.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
They came with the vehicle and are pretty much "new" (that's how Firestone stated their condition on them when I visited for an alignment). Front's were also Coopers, but only had a few thousand miles of tread left on them when I bought the vehicle, and were replaced with Michelin Defender's. So now there are pretty much 4 new tires on the vehicle, so maybe when the vehicle reaches around 200k I'll look at those Sumitomo's.
@plplplpl @plplplpl @plplplpl !!!
Here's an opportunity for another poll.

If you need only two new tires:
A) Should you buy two premium-priced Michelin touring tires?
- OR -
B) Should you buy four bargain-priced Sumitomo high performance tires?

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
@plplplpl @plplplpl @plplplpl !!!
Here's an opportunity for another poll.

If you need only two new tires:
A) Should you buy two premium-priced Michelin touring tires?
- OR -
B) Should you buy four bargain-priced Sumitomo high performance tires?

Verbatim, in fact, so I'm not the one to flame for being a [NSFW]
disturber on @xGS' behalf. :p

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
So decided to pull the trigger on upgrading the stereo in the Pilot. Today was mainly reconnaissance for the front doors, where I will be mounting the crossover, and figuring out what modifications will be required to replace the front speakers and add tweeters to the sail panels. Figured while I have the door panels off, should take the time to add some sound deadening material (which I've never done on any of my vehicles). So today, that's exactly what I did.

First step was removing the door panel..

Peeled back the vapor barrier, and this is what I was greeted with... As noticed previously, the plastic exterior side panel for the door doesn't haven't a great seal, and now can see where water has gotten through the clip holes due to washing the vehicle.

Here is after applying the Kilmat Sound Deadening to the inside of exterior door panel, which took about an hour to do:

Here is where I plan on mounting the Crossover that came with my Infinity Reference 6530cx, already confirmed the panel goes on perfectly with it in that location.

I've also confirmed my tweeter location/mount in the sail panel doesn't conflict with anything, just need to swing by Home-Depot and find a 1-9/16" (40mm) drill bit to tap the sail panels.

Tomorrow will be tackling the sound insulation on the driver side door, and preparing the wiring harness to replace the factory radio with a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. Speaker install won't be completed until Monday, as I am waiting on a Speaker Harness Kit to arrive since I noticed there isn't much slack with the stock wires, am not a fan of traditional "butt connectors", so this should provide a much more elegant way of extending those wires to the crossover than hacking off the factory plugs.

Stay tuned, there is still more to come, such as...
1. Installing the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX using a Crux SWRHN-62D to retain the steering wheel controls, using the Metra 95-7861 Dash Kit
1. Replacing Factory 10" Woofer with an Infinity Reference 1000S (and adding more Kilmat Sound Deadening)
2. Wiring an Alpine MRV-M500 to power the sub (I actually ordered an MRV-M250, but there was an MRV-M500 in the box, so free upgrade). Just gonna have to dial the power back to not blow the sub.
3. Adding a License Plate Backup Camera
4. Replacing the factory XM antenna with a SiriusXM SXV300v1 in the stock location. (This means dropping the headliner)
5. Running a set of Composite Cables from the back of the Pioneer to the Inputs on the aftermarket Rear Entertainment System (which also means dropping the headliner, that while dropped plan on adding some Siless 157 mil Closed Foam Insulation to help keep the vehicle cooler on sunny days, and improve the effectiveness of the HVAC system, whether cooling or heating).
6. Thinking about getting a Pi4 and hiding it somewhere and using the HDMI input on the Pioneer as the screen, that can then be controlled with a Portable Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse combo.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Ambitious and well thought out. (y)

I remember having great fun building a monster 8-speaker sound system in my "camping" van (see my signature). When I drove it up to an uninhabited lakeside camping spot, I'd open the side doors facing the lake, canoe out to the middle, and the classic rock I blasted from it made the whole lake a mega party zone.

Later, when parked near some homeless shelters downtown (also literally one block from police headquarters), it got broken into and stripped of its audio and camping equipment. After that, my zeal dampened for investing time and money into a top end sound system for a vehicle.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts

I remember having great fun building a monster 8-speaker sound system in my "camping" van (see my signature). When I drove it up to an uninhabited lakeside camping spot, I'd open the side doors facing the lake, canoe out to the middle, and the classic rock I blasted from it made the whole lake a mega party zone.

Later, when parked near some homeless shelters downtown (also literally one block from police headquarters), it got broken into and stripped of its audio and camping equipment. After that, my zeal dampened for investing time and money into a top end sound system for a vehicle.
Very intrested in the sound deadening material you used (Kill Mat). I never got around to doing. But now since seeing your install of this product, a buytal backed rubberized membrane, it confirms my suspicions that it is the same product as window seal tape that you can buy at a building supply house.

This may be a little less expensive than what you bought. It comes in 2 different widths.
Thanks for the great photos!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #155 (Edited)

Thank you, this would be my most ambitious car audio install, though it's nothing too crazy, as it's meant to be a stealth setup (sans the tweeters that will be in the sail panels). In regards to security, I can't even jack up the front end without setting off the alarm, instantly thwarting would be tire thieves, and sure to go off if the window breaks, or the doors open.

Presently I'm torn on where I want to mount the amp. Debating either the headrest storage area in the trunk, or under the passenger front seat where the Honda hides the factory NAV unit in models equipped, which mine thankfully doesn't have and was an bonus point for this vehicle when I was shopping around. (For security purposes, I'm leaning more to under the Passenger Seat, as to remove it would require removal of the seat, vs lifting up a flap in the trunk, which under the passenger seat I think might get better airflow as well).

Very intrested in the sound deadening material you used (Kill Mat). I never got around to doing. But now since seeing your install of this product, a buytal backed rubberized membrane, it confirms my suspicions that it is the same product as window seal tape that you can buy at a building supply house.
View attachment 141875
This may be a little less expensive than what you bought. It comes in 2 different widths.
Thanks for the great photos!
Butyl is butyl, all that matters is thickness, coverage area, and backing material of preference. I went on the cheaper side of things and got only the 50 mil thick stuff (and not the 80), which I got 50 sqft for $60 USD. For that one door I don't think I used much more than 4 sqft (or about $5 worth of material). There are also diminishing results when using the stuff, so 100% application is completely overkill. Something like 30% coverage can increase audio quality 90%. The door now does have a little more weight to it, and makes a much nicer thud when closing.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Yep, this would be my most ambitious car audio install, though it's nothing too crazy, as it's meant to be a stealth setup (sans the tweeters that will be in the sail panels). In regards to security, I can't even jack up the front end without setting off the alarm, instantly thwarting would be tire thieves, and sure to go off if the window breaks, or the doors open.

Presently I'm torn on where I want to mount the amp. Debating either the headrest storage area in the trunk, or under the passenger front seat where the Honda hides the factory NAV unit in models equipped, which mine thankfully doesn't have and was an bonus point for this vehicle when I was shopping around. (For security purposes, I'm leaning more to under the Passenger Seat, as to remove it would require removal of the seat, vs lifting up a flap in the trunk, which under the passenger seat I think might get better airflow as well).

Butyl is butyl, all that matters is thickness, coverage area, and backing material of preference. I went on the cheaper side of things and got only the 50 mil thick stuff (and not the 80), which I got 50 sqft for $60 USD. For that one door I don't think I used much more than 4 sqft (or about $5 worth of material). There are also diminishing results when using the stuff, so 100% application is completely overkill. Something like 30% coverage can increase audio quality 90%. The door now does have a little more weight to it, and makes a much nicer thud when closing.
From what I read, just a strip between body panel supports can make a huge difference. It prevents amplification of road noise.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
The door now does have a little more weight to it, and makes a much nicer thud when closing.
I wouldn't need a high-end audio system when just that sound would be music to my ears. :)

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #158 (Edited)
Just finished adding the Kilmat Sound Deadening to the Driver's door. Took about an hour or so as well. Managed to fit in a bit more material than the passenger side. Here is the driver side with the panel off:

Backside of panel:

The factory Alpine 4ohm Speaker, and Basket:

Here is after application:

Now the driver's door make a nice solid thud sound when I close it as well.

In regards to audio quality, when I test drove the vehicle last night on my way to Home Depot and back, noticed the passenger side seemed louder, and the mids definitely were more pronounced. The tone of the lower mid-bass stuff is also different, less "boomy" I'd say. Will need to go for a test drive here in a little bit, and see how things seem with both sides balanced.

Unfortunately, the drill bit selection for home-depot didn't have a proper drill bit size so best I was able to get was 1.5", which is a tad over a mm too small, so will need to chase that with a sanding attachment on my dremel to enlarge the hole slightly to mount them.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
122 Posts
Upgrading the stereo in the wife’s EXL is on my to do list... so you’ve maintained the factory sub by adding its own amp? There is an option to keep steering wheel controls.. all very interesting.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts