Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Looks really nice. Where are you getting your Honda-color-specific touch up paint?

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I'm actually geographically closer, but... :(

Shipping:

Does not ship to Canada | See details

Item location:
Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
I'm actually geographically closer, but... :(
Damn, that's interesting. As a side note, I went to see how much it might be to ship something to Montreal from here, and it's $12.95, only catch is those paint pens are considered flammable, so I don't think I can technically ship it. Maybe see if it's something the local dealership can order for you?

EDIT: Maybe try Bernardi Honda: https://www.bernardiparts.com/, they supposedly ship to Canada, but can't give a price online and say to contact the store.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Damn, that's interesting. As a side note, I went to see how much it might be to ship something to Montreal from here, and it's $12.95, only catch is those paint pens are considered flammable, so I don't think I can technically ship it. Maybe see if it's something the local dealership can order for you?

EDIT: Maybe try Bernardi Honda: Shop Genuine Honda OEM Parts & Accessories Online - Bernardi Parts Honda, they supposedly ship to Canada, but can't give a price online and say to contact the store.
Thanks, will look into it. IIRC at least one of those go-to online dealerships (Majestic, Bernardi, College Hills) does ship to Canada, and it's reasonable but not cheap.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
So was looking at the Pilot earlier, and noticed an abnormal gap on the Door Molding (Exterior Door Panel), that upon closer inspection appears to have been "addressed" (improperly) by someone in the past (note the dried adhesive that has weathered and cracked).

Upon searching the Service Manual (Section 20-154 or 1669/2569), looks to be a simple fix, but requires taking the interior door panel off to be able to pop the clips out of it.

Good news is, was planning on redoing the stereo soon, and that includes new front speakers, so I guess I'll address that door molding when I do that.

Anyone know the part number for those molding clips?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
Woke up early today in an effort to track down a spare rim, drove to 4 different junkyards, and each one that had a rim, were in pretty poor shape, so didn't pick up any, and burned through 250 miles or so of gas in my Fit for no reward other than the spirited driving down the 17, and just getting out of the house. Gonna reach out to one more junkyard when they open up on Monday, as may be able to get a clean rim + tire (with 70% tread left) for $90ish, though still a good 100+ miles away. So that quest continues.

As that was a bust, and given my work schedule, took the Pilot to America's Tire anyways, and got some Michelin Defender's put on the Front. Then when I got home dressed them in Meguair's NXT, and wiped the brake dust off the wheels. Also, I never realized the main 5 spokes are textured, and reminds me of holographic cups, meaning once their scratched you can't polish to correct.

Tomorrow is also a "big" day, going to be replacing the LCA's, and possibly the rear sway bar links with Mevotech's Supreme line, then heading over to Firestone and signing up for their Lifetime alignment service. Pays for itself second time it's used, and with an aging vehicle, will probably need several more alignments during ownership as I progressively service different suspension components.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Excellent tire choice (Michelin Defender LTX M/S). (y)

How long does that MEGUIAR'S NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire Coating – Aerosol Spray for Insane Gloss -- last? I put some tire shine product on once a couple of years ago, and my tires looked all sheened like they were ready for a bodybuilding pageant, but it only lasted like 2½ days, and that was in good weather.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
Excellent tire choice (Michelin Defender LTX M/S). (y)
Thanks buddy, the way I look at tires is to buy the best ones you can afford, as (with the help of gravity) is all that keeps you attached to the road surface, and is the biggest factor for stopping distance (that could help you avoid an accident).

How long does that MEGUIAR'S NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire Coating – Aerosol Spray for Insane Gloss -- last? I put some tire shine product on once a couple of years ago, and my tires looked all sheened like they were ready for a bodybuilding pageant, but it only lasted like 2½ days, and that was in good weather.
I really only use tire dressing on special occasions. So the can I have has lasted me many years, and I never really payed that much attention to how long it actually stays sheened. Will keep tabs on how it looks and report back in a couple days. It is by far the most glossiest tire shine I've tried over the years, but I think their Endurance line keeps it looking that darker black for longer, though if I remember correctly it does pick-up dust/dirt which ruins the look after a week, and you'll need to wash the wheels by then anyways.

As for my plans for today... I messed up, and didn't remember (to do it correctly and by the book) I need new bolts for the LCA's, and of course I waited until Sunday when all the Honda Parts counters are closed 🤦‍♂️

I don't believe in half-assing things, and I'm not that tight on money to pinch that $20 at the cost of safety/integrity, however if I were to re-use those bolts (which should be in superb shape as this vehicle never really saw much water exposure in it's life to facilitate rusting issues), would probably add some blue threadlocker (that doesn't need heat to release) to help fill any imperfections in the threads from the original torqueing, and keep them from backing out due to vibrations. (A phenomenon I've encountered more times than I can count on my drones, and why I double-check all my bolts are tight as part of "pre-flight checks", especially with that monster swinging four 13" propellers in my avatar).

Good news is, the new Mevotech Supreme Rear Swaybar Links came with new Flange Nuts, so I guess I can at least tackle that today.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
274 Posts
OP I was looking at some of your pictures. Where do you put the snow, because it seems their is no room in your driveway without putting it on your neighbours property. Are they okay with you putting your snow on their lawnÉ

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
OP I was looking at some of your pictures. Where do you put the snow, because it seems their is no room in your driveway without putting it on your neighbours property. Are they okay with you putting your snow on their lawnÉ
I am not sure I understand your question. :unsure:

I live in California about a mile away from the ocean, and in the 7 years I've lived here, have never seen a wink of snow. Are you referring to the pictures where Ash covered the vehicle? That simply was rinsed/washed off with the pressure washer.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Well managed to do the passenger side lower control arm today. Removal was pretty easy, the day prior I sprayed penetrating lubricant on all the bolts, which made removal a breeze. I also rented a Ball Joint Separator from Autozone. Which made that job easy as well.

Install on the other hand would have anyone in earshot thinking I'm a sailor.

Prior to install, I packed the ball joint with Lucas Red "N" Tacky and got my first experience using a Grease Gun and the Zerks fittings on the Mevotech Ball Joint, which of course made more of a mess than I'd have liked as a result, but better too much grease (that I can wipe away), than not enough.

As for the reason for the Sailors mouth, was not realizing the proper order to install the bolts in. First you want to install the bolt on the rear compliance bushing, where the bolt goes in through the bottom. Second you want to do to the ball joint, and then put the castle nut on loosely. Third you want to do the front compliance bushing. Do it any other order and you won't be able to get the rear compliance bushing bolt to thread from the bottom.

After my "learning experience" and the pains of which order to do them in, I then tightened everything up, put the wheel back on, and took it for a test drive around the block. Noticed while the car tracked straight, the steering wheel had a slight bank to the passenger side in order to drive straight. When I got back, had about 2 hours of daylight left, but then couldn't for the life of me find the damn wheel lock key. After practically going crazy searching for the damn thing, and it wasn't until after the sun had set, that I had the thought "I didn't leave the key in the wheel by accident before my test drive did I?", and decided to walk up my street scanning the road with a flashlight looking for the wheel lock key. About 20ft away from the stop-sign at the end of the street, I found it almost in the middle of the road. Yep, I'm the smartest dumb person I know, and will never be so nonchalant with that wheel key again. (First time owning a vehicle with them).

As additional punishment for not getting the work done on both sides (and to error on the side of caution), I'm driving the wife to work to her graveyard shift here shortly, and will be picking her up at 6am, and will be doing the driver side lower control arm (with the wisdom gained today) tomorrow when I get off at work, which will give me about 2.5 hours to do it before the sun sets.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Kudos on a good job. (y)

Except.. are you working under a vehicle with open toe sandals? Anybody got the OSHA anonymous whistleblower hotline number handy? :D

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Great job on the control arms! Besides the toe show the HF jack stands caught my attention. There is an active recall for those jack stands so check out the thread.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Kudos on a good job. (y)

Except.. are you working under a vehicle with open toe sandals? Anybody got the OSHA anonymous whistleblower hotline number handy? :D
Thank you. Never really thought about footwear, considering I was sitting on the ground Indian style while working, my feet/legs really weren't under the vehicle all that much. As I work in IT, I don't really have any work boots, and my other shoes wouldn't offer much more protection than the slippers. If I was working under the hood, or where tools could potentially fall on my feet, would consider better shoes, but for the task at hand the risk/requirement factor is extremely low IMO. Will consider getting myself a set of steel toed shoes next time I go shoe shopping.

Great job on the control arms! Besides the toe show the HF jack stands caught my attention. There is an active recall for those jack stands so check out the thread.
One down, one to go. As for the jack stands (good looking out (y)), one of my former roommates left the recalled ones behind, so took them to Harbor Freight, and paid the extra $10 or whatever for each set to get them replaced with new ones under the recall. As they are the 6 ton replacements, they are exempt from the 2nd recall which only affected the 3 ton replacements, so good on that front. You'll also notice I put the wheel I removed under the side-rail of the vehicle, so if there was an issue with the jack-stand, would fall on that first. I also had wheel chocks under the rear tires too in case the parking brake failed.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #137 (Edited)
So after work today, tackled the driver side lower control arm, removal wasn't as easy this time around, as the rear compliance bushing was in pretty poor shape, and I got the joyful sound of metal on metal screeching taking the bolt out (probably could have hit it with more penetrating lubricant).

Cotter Pin & Castle Nut Loosened:

Below is the tool I rented from AutoZone, made separating the ball joint from the knuckle easy, and took more effort given the sag from the bad compliance bushing. Didn't have a 22mm wrench, so the good old adjustable wrench did the trick.

Lower Control Arm Removed:

Freshly packed ball joint:

I also noticed on both sides doing this job, that the lower boot for the front sway bar links are torn, so guess I'll be back under there in the future to replace those with some Mevotech Supreme's as well.

After completing both sides, took it for a test drive, and steering wheel was much more straight than before, but when centered wants to drift left very slightly, so will be taking it in for an alignment tomorrow. Overall the smoothness/comfort of the vehicle has increased dramatically, and it seems that the shudder during medium braking has gone away. Now I can tell there may be some warping with the rotors, but nothing terrible and suspect that shudder I felt was a resonance frequency being amplified by the play in side to side forces due to those bad rear compliance bushings, which then feeds back into the brake rotors and be partly to blame for the warping of the rotors. Not sure what the shop hours would be for this job, but it took me about 5 hours for both using only hand tools (for the want of an electric ratchet... maybe Black Friday will be the day of spoils).

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Realized that I didn't snap any photo's of the new Mevotech Supreme LCA's installed, here's a picture of them from this morning after the first 30 miles of driving.

Driver Side LCA

Passenger Side LCA

All that's left is to clean/wipe up some excess grease, and bring the vehicle to Firestone this afternoon to get the alignment squared away.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Just got done taking the vehicle in for an alignment at Firestone, and the Toe was way out.

However even after the alignment, the steering wheel still has a slight bank to the right in order to drive straight, so I don't think they properly aligned the steering wheel when they did the alignment. I think this is because they didn't turn on the vehicle to pressurize the power steering system, and properly center it with it on. I've also had a similar experience with my Fit, and had to have them redo it a second time. So this weekend will be visiting a different Firestone nearby, and see if they will let me ensure the wheel is perfectly centered and then check/fix the alignment.

As for Caster, not sure as to the variance. I know on the CarFax there was damage reported (but not necessarily an accident) on the Passenger Side front, but that was when it only had about 60k miles on it.

Could the Struts/Springs be getting old/worn and cause the variance? Before I replaced the LCA's the wheel was perfectly centered, and tracked true although the driver side tire had uneven wear, primarily on the inside edge (like a camber issue).

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
121 - 140 of 167 Posts