Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy howdy,

If you saw my last post about the creampuff, the mother-in-law didn't want to make a deal, so continued the prowl for a used, and well loved Honda Pilot. After finding out the 03-05's don't have the side curtain airbags to the 2nd & 3rd row, narrowed my search down to the 06-08's. After not finding anything up to my standards via AutoTempest, decided to try the craigslist side of things, and probably after about 5 minutes of looking, stumbled across a 08 EX-L, with Steel Blue Metallic Paint, non-Navigation with under 129k on it. After going through the Popular Mechanics 101 used car checklist on it, everything checked out, and looked in order. Only red flag was an unknown timing belt, with second fault being the front tires probably have 30% tread left, but rears are new. Asking price was $6995, I offered $6500, and then met in the middle at $6750, at a place called Car Connections in Modesto. I then drove it the 2.5 hours home (112ish miles) no issues. Thing is "loaded" with options/accessories too. Has an after-market RES system for the back seat (will be great for my 8 year old if he isn't distracted by a different screen in his face). It has the auto-dimming compass mirror installed, Door edge guards, Floor Mats, Steering Wheel Cover (and even came with a two sets of headphones in the backseat, and the previous owner left their sunglesses in the roof holder). It apparently also has a KARR system in addition to the factory immobilizer, and lojacked to boot. To top things off, I just went through the CarFax and called all the places it was serviced, and found out at the one entry that listed "Motor mount(s)", that they had also done the Timing Belt and Water Pump along with the Front & Rear Mounts only 1200ish miles previously! (Yes, I did a major happy dance, hahaha) The wife is ecstatic at the price (since she will be paying for it), and is more than happy with everything (especially now). Thing pulls nicely, rides straight, and drives smooth.

Only thing is, it looks like it had the running boards / side-steps that I suspect got stolen off it (since the crime in that area is exceptionally high, and further backed up by the second alarm & lojack), so will probably grab a used set from a junkyard or something, and slap them on.

Any other flaws are either things that are things that I can easily resolve with a little elbow grease here and there.

The only other things I noticed, and figured you would be the perfect people to ask, is that on medium-heavy braking there is a sensation through the brake pedal I can feel, back of my head is thinking possibly slightly warped rotors, but then I realized I've never really driven a vehicle with VSA / Traction Control, and am wondering if that feedback I'm getting in my foot might be attributed to them activating? (This car did live in an area that could be considered "desert", so increased temperatures on everything vs here in Monterey could cause some extra stress on the rotors if the previous owner didn't keep good following distance / ride the brakes).

Also, for the Heater Control System, it seems like the blower doesn't ramp up to max speed (where it feels like you are in a wind tunnel), I suspect that's due to the blower motor resistor failing? (Easy and cheap fix, and technically works and is able to ramp up/down per "stepping").

Here's some pictures of our newest edition to our Honda family.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
That is very interesting that you could track down work done at an independent shop. Were all the components replaced? Including the TB Tensioner, TB Idler Pulley?
When pressing the brakes, if your getting a shimmy/shake along with the pulsing sensation in the pedal, ya, you could have a wrapped rotor. If it's not that bad, you could ride on it a while, but definitely check to see how much brake pad life you have.
Nice Find!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As a follow up to my OP, I poked my head under the pilot again, and actually it just looks like the it is just the passenger side skirt is missing for some reason. (Someone oops with a jackstand/lift? Oh well, doesn't change the fact I want to put running boards on it).

Also, upon checking under the passenger dash, the plastic piece in the foot-well over the metal bar that blocks the air filter replacement is still there, meaning the original owner never changed the cabin air filter. Considering it lived in the desert, I bet it is fouled up with dirt, and the reason why the fan doesn't seem to get up to full speed anymore. Gonna switch it out with a K&N (in the mail).

In regards to the maintenance history, everyone I've contacted that was on the CarFax was very helpful, and were willing to Fax me over the service history. From calling the local Honda dealership from that area (Window Regulator, Serpentine replacement - under warranty from what I can tell since they got it as "certified pre-owned"), a couple oil-change locations (that all they did was change the oil), to an "Affordable Automotive Repair" place, which is what did the Motor Mounts, and Timing Belt Job (which lists a part number that is the Import Direct Timing Kit you can buy from O'Reilly's), and I misheard them over the phone, the T-Belt was serviced at 120.7k miles, not 127k (Cost $700, 200ish parts, 400ish labor + tax). Either way, one less thing I have to deal with for 6+ years, or another 90k miles. The front and rear motor mounts were done on a different trip to that same mechanic at around 124k (3k miles later). So yeah, most places are happy to provide you service information about a vehicle if you know it was serviced there (simply gave them the license plate number and what type of vehicle) - though they should do a better job of redacting previous owner information before sending it over. (I didn't want to know that information, and now I do..., and couldn't help but use my google-fu :whistle:)

Since the T-Belt was done less than a year ago, I don't have to worry about swapping out coolant, but I don't see any record of the thermostat being replaced on it (something I'd do at the same time as a T-Belt as cheap insurance). Close inspection of the Brake Pads, the front's say "SELECT Ceramic", which leads me also to O'Reilly's, and the BrakeBest Select Premium Ceramic. Then upon inspecting the rear brakes, looks to be the same things there too (just sans the writing on them).

To me it looks like the previous owner (mostly) followed the maintenance minder, and weren't excessively cheap about servicing it either. I ordered a new PCV Valve, K&N Intake Air Filter (already have the cleaner + oil due to my other cars that have them). Gonna stick some Royal Purple 5-20W Oil in it (same stuff I use in my 09 Fit), with K&N Oil Filter, and then do a drain & fill with Honda ATF on the Trans at the same time. Need to pull one of the spark plugs, and see if they look original, or if they were also replaced recently as well. I also requested test kits from Blackstone Laboratories, and plan on having the first drain samples analyzed to get a baseline, and see how things check out.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,025 Posts
Nice find, and great that you were able to confirm its service history.
If the rear blower airflow feels weak, there is a mesh screen which gets clogged up. My guess it’s covered in lint. To access the screen push the driver seat all the way back. Then pull the panel (to right of driver’s right foot) off. You should see a circular lint pattern about five inches in diameter. Just vacuum it; no filter replacement required.

Reactions: cloudasc

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice find, and great that you were able to confirm its service history.
If the rear blower airflow feels weak, there is a mesh screen which gets clogged up. My guess it’s covered in lint. To access the screen push the driver seat all the way back. Then pull the panel (to right of driver’s right foot) off. You should see a circular lint pattern about five inches in diameter. Just vacuum it; no filter replacement required.
Yeah, definitely pleased with my purchase so far, and happy I found out via digging the t-belt was already done. The rear blower works just fine, and I appreciate the info about the filter, will check/clean it out in a bit, but it's the front vents that are blowing weaker than they should when on max. Should have the new cabin filter in on Thursday, and then it's dremel time :p. Will find out what 12 years, and 129k miles in the desert do to a cabin filter shortly, :LOL:

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honda advises against the use of an oiled type air filter.
Of course they do, they want to charge you for a new paper filter each time. Otherwise I believe the main concern/mention comes from potential to over-oil the filters / not give the filter time to dry / absorb the oil and thus clog the MAF/MAP sensor with the excess. Been using a K&N on my 09 Fit for the last 80k miles without issue.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Of course they do, they want to charge you for a new paper filter each time. Otherwise I believe the main concern/mention comes from potential to over-oil the filters / not give the filter time to dry / absorb the oil and thus clog the MAF/MAP sensor with the excess. Been using a K&N on my 09 Fit for the last 80k miles without issue.
Compare the price of the plain paper filters with the cost of the K&N filter plus the re-oiling kits.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Compare the price of the plain paper filters with the cost of the K&N filter plus the re-oiling kits.
Yep, not an issue on my end, as I have two other cars that use the same type of filter / re-oiling kit, and after 3 "filter changes" for each car, have paid for themselves. Not to mention the eco-friendly benefits of re-using vs replacing, and I prefer a more aggressive maintenance regimen for them (every 15k miles vs 30k replacement).

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Nice find, and welcome to the club. (y)
Gonna switch it out with a K&N (in the mail).
K&N Intake Air Filter
Honda advises against the use of an oiled type air filter.
Gotta agree with the advice to avoid k&N filters on a Pilot.

Did someone say, "Pictures?" Let's call these "after." Post the "before."

Import Direct Timing Kit you can buy from O'Reilly's
I'd really be curious to know who makes that for them. Hope it's Aisin, not Gates. Can't find further info on their site.

Will find out what 12 years, and 129k miles in the desert do to a cabin filter shortly, :LOL:
Now those are some pics I also really want to see. :p

Welcome again. :)

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Yep, not an issue on my end, as I have two other cars that use the same type of filter / re-oiling kit, and after 3 "filter changes" for each car, have paid for themselves. Not to mention the eco-friendly benefits of re-using vs replacing, and I prefer a more aggressive maintenance regimen for them (every 15k miles vs 30k replacement).
How much did you pay for the K&N filter and the re-oiling kit?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotta agree with the advice to avoid k&N filters on a Pilot.
I appreciate the advise, I had the same concern with my Fit when I first got it, but I've only seen benefits on every engine I've put them on (knocks on wood), and it falls inline with my existing maintenance on my 91 Accord as well.

After oiling the filter, I don't reinstall it back in the car for 24 hours. I work from home, so I have no dependency on my Fit during the week, and the wife works the weekends, so not much use for the Pilot during the week (or can go a day without driving) and consider that my "extra precaution" on the matter. I've already learned plenty of life lessons about "rushing" things, just sets yourself up for problems later that you eventually regret.

I'd really be curious to know who makes that for them. Hope it's Aisin, not Gates. Can't find further info on their site.
Me too, I've read about the Gates WP debacle (lurking on this site) :)

Now those are some pics I also really want to see. :p
Will make sure to definitely take pictures, and report back whether that fixes the front blowers.

Welcome again. :)
Thank you!

How much did you pay for the K&N filter and the re-oiling kit?
Got them both on sale, one was 15% off, and I think the other was 10% off a bit ago, so like $60-65 for both. A WIX Paper filter is $21+Tax from O'rielly, OEM is $20 through Bernardi Honda (if you can take advantage of the free shipping). Hence the "after 3 filter changes" reference.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Got them both on sale, one was 15% off, and I think the other was 10% off a bit ago, so like $60-65 for both. A WIX Paper filter is $21+Tax from O'rielly, OEM is $20 through Bernardi Honda (if you can take advantage of the free shipping). Hence the "after 3 filter changes" reference.
The K&N 33-2200 filter is $62, so $52 with a 15% discount.
The WIX 46802 paper filter is $10.50 at Rock Auto.
Excluding the cost of the re-oiling kit, and using the paper filters for 30K miles each as Honda recommends, the break-even point for the cost of the K&N filter would be no earlier than 150K miles.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The WIX 46802 paper filter is $10.50 at Rock Auto.
Excluding the cost of the re-oiling kit, and using the paper filters for 30K miles each as Honda recommends, the break-even point for the cost of the K&N filter would be no earlier than 150K miles.
I generally don't order from Rock Auto unless I need something I can't get OEM new, via junkyard, or aftermarket (depending upon what it is). Gotta factor shipping into the equation ($6.99 min just for that filter, so at $17.11 before tax). Not to mention I prefer to replace/clean the filters twice as often as recommended to help maximize gas mileage since I have the privilege of paying the California gas tax ($3.23 for regular right now, but put Plus in mine), so for me I recoup my investment much quicker. While a paper filter and the recommended service interval might make sense to you, it doesn't for me (we can agree to disagree), so I recommend you continue and buy your paper filters, and I'll be happy cleaning/re-oiling my K&N. 🍻😎

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,930 Posts
Prefer replacement OEM quality air filters over re-cleaning and re-oiling. Respectfully, to each his own.
Agreed, just because they are a PIA. I spent a life time cleaning filters as every piece of farm machinery we owned had them. Grandad would at least spring for the cost of a second filter so one was always clean and ready to go at a moments notice. Waiting for an air filter to dry during harvest is not only a no no, it's down right dumb. During harvest I would be cleaning the air filter and greasing the combine on a nightly basis. Well if you want to call 3 a.m. nightly. We were back up at 5 a.m. to start the day again. You would be surprised how well you could sleep in a grain truck cab.

Kids these days don't know the fun and joy of lubbing their vehicles. Getting that grease hose into some of the places they put the zerks was fun to say the least.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,025 Posts
I miss zerks.
You’re more than welcome to grease the one on my Tacoma’s front drive shaft closest to the transfer case. That one is a PITA to get to. I can do the other four in the same amount of it takes to get to that one.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 20 of 169 Posts