Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

Installed a Yakima Load Warrior (purchased from www.Galls.com) gear basket the other day. It comes with a removable wind deflector. With the air deflector attached (and without any cargo), I experienced additional wind noise on the freeway that started around 70 mph, increased with additional speed, and became substantially loud above 90 mph. Sometime this week, I'm going to remove the deflector and see how much a difference it makes.

Besides that, I am liking the basket.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Once it's full of gear, it's a little quieter. I suspect because the air is traveling around everything rather than through all the open bars. It's quieter than when we've got four bikes on the roof.

We used ours on a 4,000 mile roadtrip this summer, and loved it! :cool:

Pics are in my gallery. HERE!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A2, thanks for the info! Pics look good!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quiet filled to overflowing

I got ours at Galls,and we also got the 18" extension.It seemed very quiet,no louder than stock,on a 3700 mile trip.It was full to overflowing,so a2Pilot must be right.We used flat bins stacked 2 high(6 of them),and carried all our luggage up top.It left a lot of room in the vehicle.Luck,Charlie

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol you guys with the 18" extensions make my load warrior look short and stubby. I'm feeling kind of inadequate now... :(

:p

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have also noticed some additional noise with the Load Warrier and also experienced a slight reduction in noise when loaded. I also noticed it gets louder when removed and only the cross bars are in place.

I can live with all that...the thing that bugs me most is the hit in gas mileage with all that gear on the roof. I seem to see 3-5 mpg loss. Anybody else tracked gas mileage?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Kills mileage

Wolfman,I track my mileage closely,and noticed the same reduction you did-about 3+mpg.I got as low as 12mpg on one I-40 stretch outside Flagstaff AZ.Of course we were doing 80mph and it was hilly.We usually got about 17mph on the highway with the basket overfilled about 4 inches over the top-doing about 75mph.Luck,Charlie PS With nothing in the basket we got about 20mpg at 65-70 in a hilly area.With the basket Lightly loaded I got 22 mpg at 60 mph.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
We noticed a slight reduction in milage with the basket loaded. It was really bad in New Mexico when we were driving into a strong head wind in a hilly area. I didn't track my exact mileage, but could almost watch the gas gauge drop!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I first installed the Load Warrior I centered it in the factory rack, took it for a test drive and the wind noise was noticeable.

I decided to move it farther back..what a difference. The noise was almost nonexistent. Try this if you are having some road noise. :4:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ST, Thanks. Right now, mine IS centered (when viewed from the side). Maybe I'll have time to tweak it this weekend.

PS cool avatar!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts