Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
When you say "The gas gauge is incredibly non-linear" Do you mean that it appears that from half full to full is actually less gallons than from half full to empty even though it should be equal? I've been measuring my mileage from full to half. I can't find if there is a on dash mpg display.
Yes, the gauge is non-linear. The tank shape is not a perfect cylinder (or cube). And, the sensors age over time, so they don't read perfectly. You absolutely cannot measure from "half full" to "full". In fact, you should ignore the fuel tank reading. Fill the tank. Run it to down to the redline. Fill to completely full. Note the mileage. Run another full tank of gas. Divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons filled. Do this every time you fill your tank. You will find mileage varies significantly based on driving habits.

· Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 204,000 miles
395 Posts
Upstream O2 sensors are perishable and should be changed on a regular basis. Just wish ours didn't cost so much.
Downstream are just cat-checks so unless there's an issue or code, they don't really need to be messed with.
Ok I’ll order some tonight then. My 05 has 197k on the odometer and I’m 99% sure the factory o2 sensors are still in it lol I had no idea they went bad without codes. Here I come rockauto! Any brand that you’ve had good luck with, or stick with OEM?

· Registered
70 Posts
Ok I’ll order some tonight then. My 05 has 197k on the odometer and I’m 99% sure the factory o2 sensors are still in it lol I had no idea they went bad without codes. Here I come rockauto! Any brand that you’ve had good luck with, or stick with OEM?
My gut feeling is to go with Denso or NTK but at $90 a pop that's a tough pill to swallow so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has has luck with cheaper aftermarket sensors.

· Registered
395 Posts
My gut feeling is to go with Denso or NTK but at $90 a pop that's a tough pill to swallow so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has has luck with cheaper aftermarket sensors.
Honestly if its gonna help my mpg I don’t care how much they cost cause I’ll get it back eventually lol

· Registered
395 Posts
Just ordered all 4 from rock auto. Spendy, but I’ve been getting about 220 miles from a full tank consistently for the last 6 months and I’m sick of it. Hopefully this solves my problem! Thanks for the help. Will update once they are installed.

· Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
Just ordered all 4 from rock auto. Spendy, but I’ve been getting about 220 miles from a full tank consistently for the last 6 months and I’m sick of it. Hopefully this solves my problem! Thanks for the help. Will update once they are installed.
If the O2 sensor is difficult to remove don’t hesitate to cut the wire to make the task simpler.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’ve got an o2 sensor socket so hopefully it makes it easier. But ya if it’s difficult that b**** is getting rallied off lol
You may want to hit the sensor with free all, or pb blaster for an hour or two prior to removing. Also I've had those 02 sensor sockets spread and strip when trying to "remove" a very frozen 02. They usually work well at installing the sensor. Try cutting off the wires of the sensor and using a 22mm deep well socket and I bet it comes right off.

· Registered
395 Posts
You may want to hit the sensor with free all, or pb blaster for an hour or two prior to removing. Also I've had those 02 sensor sockets spread and strip when trying to "remove" a very frozen 02. They usually work well at installing the sensor. Try cutting off the wires of the sensor and using a 22mm deep well socket and I bet it comes right off.
Will do. Thanks for the help! Hopefully parts get here Saturday, that is if they don’t get shipped outside the country this time 😐

· Registered
395 Posts
That's 3 more things to replace. not sure if that was a good idea on Honda's part to add so many without any gain in performance or mpg.
Well the pilot has the Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle rating, which benefits emissions and gives you an insurance break. It doesn’t do a lot for performance, but it keeps it very controlled and running properly for consistency and longevity. Not a bad thing at all.

· Registered
12 Posts
I'm getting horrible mpg and probably never noticed as I hadn't been on a trip very far until a few days ago. Looks like 12 mpg hwy. Scanned with a good scanner to see if anything popped up but nada. I have 02 sensors coming today and picked up some Denso plugs listed in the owners manual but this is really terrible mileage. I also read somewhere about idle reset maybe being needed as I had the battery unplugged, but haven't done that yet. Has anyone had this kind of mileage and solved the issue?
I drive it like a granny. Tires 38 psi. Seems to run fine, no shifting problems etc. Changed the oil about 100 miles ago.
Have you tried running some Seafoam fuel system cleaner through it? It really helped my 99' F150 when it was about 20 years old

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.