Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Just Curious...

3923 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Rudedog
Are the Honda Pilots you have in europe using e-code spec headlights or are they still DOT (US spec) headlights? If e-code, how/where could I order those lights and have them shipped here. I would prefer to use e-code spec lights in US, even though they are not legal, for the better lighting output and design.

Thanks in Advance,

Laurence
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
6,635 Posts
mrquattro said:
Are the Honda Pilots you have in europe using e-code spec headlights or are they still DOT (US spec) headlights? If e-code, how/where could I order those lights and have them shipped here. I would prefer to use e-code spec lights in US, even though they are not legal, for the better lighting output and design.

Thanks in Advance,

Laurence
I doubt they are legal here - and if you are talking about ones that are designed for driving on the left side of the road - probably not real practical here either.

:)

· Registered
429 Posts
Re: Re: Just Curious...

colorider said:

I doubt they are legal here - and if you are talking about ones that are designed for driving on the left side of the road - probably not real practical here either.

:)
Most of Europe drives on the right side, with the exception of Britain and any former British empire state. (ie: Ireland, Australia, etc..)
So only cars destined for those markets would have any different aiming principles. Otherwise most Euro lights are a bit brighter which is not legal but is always your choice to install. From what I have seen of a Euro Pilot the lights appeared the same.

Matt

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are not legal, but the light quality is much better as less light bleeds out from the headlights. DOT lights allow some bleeding to light up signs ahead. E-Code lights for left hand drive have a sharper cut off and allow more focused light on the road where you need it, but bleed light at an angle to the right to light up shoulder signs.

I have installed e-code lights on my Audi A4 and have much better lighting than DOT. Though not legal, only a trained eye will notice that fact.
As for practicality, the lights do not blind anyone as I don't get high beamed from oncoming cars and I could see much farther on the road.

Most of Europe drives on the right side, with the exception of Britain and any former British empire state. (ie: Ireland, Australia, etc..)
So only cars destined for those markets would have any different aiming principles. Otherwise most Euro lights are a bit brighter which is not legal but is always your choice to install. From what I have seen of a Euro Pilot the lights appeared the same.
The Euro light would look the same from the outside, but the reflector would be designed differently to direct light to meet EEC standards.

My question was 1) Are Honda Pilots' lights in Europe US (DOT) spec or E-code (EEC)? Usually, this is specified on the headlight housing or on the base of the lens.

· Registered
3,327 Posts
[snipped]
mrquattro said:

As for practicality, the lights do not blind anyone as I don't get high beamed from oncoming cars and I could see much farther on the road.

I was actually high beamed while in my Pilot twice in the last few days.......:confused:

· Registered
2,369 Posts
mrquattro, I've been following this thread with quite an interest. I didn't know that about the e-code spec headlights used in Europe.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but if I may ask you one and that is, is the different reflector design is the only difference between an e-code and a DOT rated headlight or are there more differences, such as consuming more wattage, using different bulbs and etc? Thanks for your time and courtesy.

I'll pose your question in a couple of Honda newsgroups I frequent and see what kind of answers I get.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is the different reflector design is the only difference between an e-code and a DOT rated headlight or are there more differences, such as consuming more wattage, using different bulbs and etc? Thanks for your time and courtesy.
In the instance of my Audi A4, both DOT and eec use projectors to distribute light. The difference is in the projector itself. The lens and the cutoffs are different. The lens diffuse the light more so in the DOT while the ECC is smooth. The cutoffs allow for more light to spread also in the DOT. In the ECC projectors, the cutoffs are sharp and the light is distributed where it is needed, on the road farther and at the shoulder of the road to light up signs at the distance.

IMO, the only differences a dot and ecc rated headlight would have would be in the reflector. Normally, bulbs and wattage would remain the same.

Another example would be our VW Jetta. In the Dot spec, it uses H4 bulbs at 55w/65w ( i think ). The same is true with the Ecc spec headlight. Only difference is the reflector. The light is distributed better in the Ecc headlight as opposed to the dot both visually from the drivers seat and looking at the headlamp from outside. I honestly have not tested any distances so I cannot give you exact figures. But, my wife always chose the ecc light as better in a blind test. ( I switched the headlamps on two consecutive nights. )

If by chance the Honda uses different headlamps in the NA continent as opposed to everywhere else, then I would be willing to get the other headlamps (ECC) on the premise that the ECC lighting will be better by design.

Check out these urls for more info.

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/headlamp-faq.htm
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

· Registered
2,369 Posts
mrquattro, thanks for your detailed explanation. Really appreciate it. I'll get back to you if I get any replies in the honda newsgroups.

[Addendum: A reply I received in a Honda newsgroup. I'll post more if i get them.]
===========
> Are the Honda's, more specifically, Honda Pilots in europe using
> e-code spec headlights or are they still DOT (US spec) headlights?

DOT headlights are not permitted in Europe, so they would be e-code.

> If e-code, how/where could I order those lights and have them shipped
> here? Any online retailers?

Don't know, just don't order from England or other countries where they
drive on the left. Another problem is that the Pilot may not be
available in Europe. I did not find it on the Honda web sites in
Germany, Italy, Switzerland, France, Norway, Spain or Holland.
============

· Registered
797 Posts
The only Honda Pilot's being sold in Europe are in Germany and are to only Americans here as part of the military. http://www.mcs-autoexchange.com/ The Pilot is typlically too big for the Europeans although they still buy things like the Mercedes ML270 for example. Therefore, the lights are DOT and exempt from European rules under the Status of Forces Agreement. By the way, if you move to the UK and have a vehicle with Xenon lights - it is a complete replacement since you can not aim them left-right as easily as halogen.

· Registered
11 Posts
Heidelberg

Autobahn,

How is everything in my favorite city? I lived in H-ber in the 80's in MTV & PHV and actually graduated from HAHS. I would be interested in talking to you more about it if possible.

Rudedog
2003 Havasau Blue EXL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.