Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2016 to be a tow vehicle. The brake controller that was installed seems to intermittently blow the 10A Brake Light fuse. When this happens the vehicle will not start. The remote start won't even work. So I am curious as to why Honda would disable the vehicle when the brake lights are not working?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Who installed the brake controller? What fuse #, what fuse box?

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who installed the brake controller? What fuse #, what fuse box?
The RV dealer installed the brake controller. it is the fuse box in the engine compartment on the passenger side closest to the windshiel. It is fuse # 6, 10A.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
If it is blowing a fuse there is one of two things I can think of. Either there is a short somewhere or the controller is bad.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is blowing a fuse there is one of two things I can think of. Either there is a short somewhere or the controller is bad.
I agree that the problem exists with the brake controller. My question is why did Honda think that the vehicle should be disabled when this fuse blows?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don’t have access to wiring diagrams but it’s possible the brake light fuse powers the brake pedal depressed switch circuit. Maybe the PCM doesn’t get the brake pedal depressed signal when the fuse is blown. Does the car start normally when the blown fuse is replaced? Also probable that this is not a feature of the Honda design but is a result of incorrect installation. Who installed the trailer wiring harness?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts