Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Pilot that I bought new and planned to trade in this year so I ignored the timing belt maintenance.

Changed jobs and lost my company truck and was forced to keep it.

Changed it out over Labor Day- original look like new.

Just wanted others to know that one should not get too excited about passing the recommended mileage for change out.

By the way, I am a mediocre parts changer mechanic and it took me 12 hours total.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
2013 Pilot that I bought new and planned to trade in this year so I ignored the timing belt maintenance.

Changed jobs and lost my company truck and was forced to keep it.

Changed it out over Labor Day- original look like new.

Just wanted others to know that one should not get too excited about passing the recommended mileage for change out.

By the way, I am a mediocre parts changer mechanic and it took me 12 hours total.
I have that same damn feeling ..I swapped mine out at 110 k and the damn thing looked just as new as the day I installed it 110 k miles ago . Only issue I did notice on mine was the tension er leaking in the TB area

Changing jobs is never a good thing but it does happen hope you were able to get back on your feet fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have that same damn feeling ..I swapped mine out at 110 k and the damn thing looked just as new as the day I installed it 110 k miles ago . Only issue I did notice on mine was the tension er leaking in the TB area

Changing jobs is never a good thing but it does happen hope you were able to get back on your feet fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get lifetime PA safety inspections from the dealer, whom claimed the tensioner was leaking oil and I should have them do the timing belt for $1100.

Tensioner was not leaking, but change it out also.

·
Registered
603 Posts
How a timing belt looks does not tell a full story on the internal structural integrity of the belt. You can assume any belt with a 105k mile maintenance interval is likely to be "worn out" at double that mileage, or 210k. having a service interval at the half life vastly reduces the chance of any failures, which if happened would result in catastrophic engine damage. Just because one "looks good" at 150k, doesnt mean others might not look good (for instance if there was a seal leak seeping oil into the compartment and degrading the belt). The chance of making it to 210k without a belt breakage, bearing failure, water pump failure, or belt tensioner leak, are probably very low.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It's not all about the belt. The associated parts are what wears faster than the belts, i.e. tensioner, pulley, water pump, coolant life. So 105K is a good measure for all the moving parts/fluids associated with the TB.

More important than the TB, the plugs need to be changed at, if not before, 105K. Did you do that?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Just had 105k service on 2012 at dealer - timing belt, tensioner, water pump, spark plugs, and a bunch of other stuff that was due (and a few things overdue thanks to my wife). We are gifting the car to our daughter next month so I wanted to make sure everything was taken care of ahead of time.

Odometer was just a little over 105k exactly.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
It's not all about the belt. The associated parts are what wears faster than the belts, i.e. tensioner, pulley, water pump, coolant life. So 105K is a good measure for all the moving parts/fluids associated with the TB.

More important than the TB, the plugs need to be changed at, if not before, 105K. Did you do that?
wow you came back to Honda ? ………….. Why would you do that ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts