12,000 everything warranty
100,000 powertrain.

What should I pay attention to?

Should I ever use ECO mode?

Be Well

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, this post, like your previous posts, is awfully brief and more information is needed. The things you should pay attention to should have been considered prior to the decision to purchase. Are you saying that there are currently 100000 miles? And there is another 12000 mile warranty? Has the timing belt been changed? Maintenance history? Trans fluid changes?

You can read to your hearts content about that ECO mode....but no...don't use it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
1. Change the transmission fluid. (It probably needs it.)
2. Buy a SVCM or VCM Tuner II to disable the cylinder deactivation system.
3. Enjoy your new CPO Honda Pilot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, this post, like your previous posts, is awfully brief and more information is needed. The things you should pay attention to should have been considered prior to the decision to purchase. Are you saying that there are currently 100000 miles? And there is another 12000 mile warranty? Has the timing belt been changed? Maintenance history? Trans fluid changes?

You can read to your hearts content about that ECO mode....but no...don't use it.
Sorry for the confusion.
42,000 on the odometer. Comes with a Honda Certified Warranty "12,000 everything 100,000 on the drive train"
Will the warranty cover a timing belt?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Change the transmission fluid. (It probably needs it.)
2. Buy a SVCM or VCM Tuner II to disable the cylinder deactivation system.
3. Enjoy your new CPO Honda Pilot.
Will those SVCM & VCM thingys void the warranty?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I don't think that warranties cover timing belts unless it is a premature failure that destroys an engine before it needs to be replaced under normal maintenance. A VCM disabler is good insurance and would be the first update that I would install.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Timing belt replacement isn't needed until about the 7-year or 105K-mile mark.
If you haven't owned a Honda made in the past 15 years, or so, read the owner's manual to familiarize yourself with the operation of the Maintenance Minder.
Is this a 2WD or 4WD model?

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I own a 2017 with the 6-speed transmission. These transmissions can be problematic. There was a TSB for a Torque Converter Clutch Lock issue. This condition was caused by the VCM shutting down the back 3 cylinders causing extreme vibrations that could affect this function. Since you are installing a VCM disabling device you should have no issues. I use S-VCM and it solved my problem. I would extract a sample of my transmission fluid and examine it for any evidence of a past issue. While you wait for your VCM disabling device, check for a erratic rpm gauge while your vehicle is in cruise.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
238 Posts
Will those SVCM & VCM thingys void the warranty?
Depends ... probably. I don't know about the '17 model year, but my '16 warranty specifically states that any failure caused by modifying your vehicle not authorized by Honda is not covered by the warranty. That is pretty narrowly defined as a failure caused by the modification. So if the VCM "thingys" could be traced to the failure, Honda will certainly give you a hard time. While I've not seen any reports of breakdowns caused by VCM disablers, there are others who express concerns about coolant temperature and coolant fans. Honda Care service contracts however are more explicit, specifically denying coverage due to any thing done to improve engine compression or reduce oil consumption when a breakdown has not occurred, in addition to denying coverage for non-authorized accessories that cause mechanical breakdowns. My suggestion would be to take the time to read in detail your entire Honda Certified Warranty for your own personal comfort, if you haven't already. That's the document your CPO Honda dealer will quote when you try to make a claim.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I own a 2017 with the 6-speed transmission. These transmissions can be problematic. There was a TSB for a Torque Converter Clutch Lock issue. This condition was caused by the VCM shutting down the back 3 cylinders causing extreme vibrations that could affect this function. Since you are installing a VCM disabling device you should have no issues. I use S-VCM and it solved my problem. I would extract a sample of my transmission fluid and examine it for any evidence of a past issue. While you wait for your VCM disabling device, check for a erratic rpm gauge while your vehicle is in cruise.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Timing belt replacement isn't needed until about the 7-year or 105K-mile mark.
If you haven't owned a Honda made in the past 15 years, or so, read the owner's manual to familiarize yourself with the operation of the Maintenance Minder.
Is this a 2WD or 4WD model?
4wd. My new Squatch Assault Vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally installed VCM Tuner II. Easy installation. You can tell it is working because the engine heat only registers at a little above 3/8 instead of half. A little more power. Thank you all for the great advice!

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Finally installed VCM Tuner II. Easy installation. You can tell it is working because the engine heat only registers at a little above 3/8 instead of half. A little more power. Thank you all for the great advice!
Glad we could help!
Please check your cooling system periodically, making sure the fans are coming on with both the AC or temp sensor and the coolant is maintained.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts