Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm new on here. Just had my 1st kid and bought a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring at a Copart Auction (my cousin has a dewler license).
It has 101k miles. Is there anything I need to be on the lookout for?

What needs changing? What is a common issue on these?
Probably ahouldve asked this before i bought it...but here I am $8,000 later.

Any and all guidance is much appreciated

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Replacement of the timing belt (and accessory drive belt, tensioners, water pump, coolant and spark plugs) will be due very soon - typically after 7 years or at 105K miles.
Budget $1-1.5K for than work, unless you do it yourself.

·
Registered
712 Posts
As xGS said, the timing belt is the big ticket item.

Other warranty/TSB based items would be the front compliance bushings and Takata airbag recall. Pull the plugs and see if you are having any oil burning issues with the VCM, I installed the VCMuzzler on ours to make sure it never becomes an issue.

Also, being right at 100k I'd be looking to replace every fluid in the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Welcome to the Pilot world just as XGS and cintocrunch stated awesome advice as always winter months coming ahead of us if your in the snow belt a good snow tire or a good all season will perform great.
Also for some reason the baby carrier fits better in the center seat we discovered that when our 1st came along that was about 5 little ones ago now :)

Congrats on the ride !

·
Registered
882 Posts
Congrats on the family addition(s). +1 to the timing belt service, airbags and compliance bushings. A few miles shy of 180K on my 2011 and it still runs great. I would also look at a complete fluid change for peace of mind ( if AWD, rear diff and front transfer case, transmission drain /fill, power steering fluid flush and fill, engine oil/filter, brake fluid) If you have documentation that states these have been changed regularly you could omit till the maintenance minder says it is time. Also look at air/cabin filter to see if they need changed. May want to check the dates on the battery as well and see how old it is. Doing the above tasks yourself should be around 100 bucks or so for materials. My dealership charges 68 to drain/fill the tranny and another 75 to do the rear diff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got my maintenance minder reminder for TB service shortly after 100K miles, so you can expect to see it soon. Simple job if you're familiar with timing belt replacements.

Service code also recommends valve adjustment at this mileage. I did it as a separate project and replaced plugs and valve cover gaskets at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Always wondered...how necessary is the valve adjustment at the 105k reminder? What are the potential problems you could run into if you skip this?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I did not do the valve adjustment check at 105K. Honda did check it (at least it is on the service order) when they did the rings for me on the VCM extended warranty repair around 160K since they were pulling both front and rear heads. I plan on checking it along with a bunch of other maintenance at 200K. 180K on my 2011 and still going strong.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Always wondered...how necessary is the valve adjustment at the 105k reminder? What are the potential problems you could run into if you skip this?
Most new cars (all Hondas) are not like older vehicles that had large tolerances that would change over a year of driving. I got all of the tools and got ready to do it on my '06 Accord are 100,000 miles only to find all were within spec. I personally won't be checking it on any of my "mainstream" vehicles (I'd suppose something like a Ferrari or AMG Benz may need valve adjustments still, not that I have any of those) unless the forum for that vehicle has a lot of posts about the valves being out of adjustment.

As with many services on a vehicle, all it takes is one burnt up exhaust valve to make you regret not doing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts