Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 2011 touring with 96,000 on Sat 12/1. This is my first Honda and first non Ford in 18 years.
Sunday we noticed it making a noise on cold start, Monday we brought it to Honda dealer and it needed timing tensioner, belt and water pump. The dealer we purchased from is paying the bill. I have noticed the whole vehicle has a vibration on the highway (almost feels like the pavement isn't smooth), its constant. I also feel this weird pop/bump/slight jerk or shift, I don't know how to explain it. I thought the trans was shifting at first but I kept it at 70 mph and was feeling it every few minutes. I am beginning to not like driving it, feels like crap to me. My prior vehicle was a 2003 Ford Explorer which I drove for 12 years and aside from the trans slipping I liked driving that much better, it didn't vibrate and was felt much smoother.
We know someone at the Honda dealer and they emailed us the entire service history and it was meticulously maintained. The power steering was replaced less than 10k ago, trans fluid changed regularly, compliance bushings replaced, tires have about 8,000 on them. What can be causing this vibration and the other weird thing?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Since you are right about a week in, just look to take it back. There's nothing worse than buying a used vehicle at what seems like a good price and chasing down a bunch of issues and hating it. Most states have laws about this, some dealers are even forthright about wanting their customers to be totally satisfied.

I hate to recommend getting rid of a Pilot but I'd strongly consider that at this point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Since you are right about a week in, just look to take it back. There's nothing worse than buying a used vehicle at what seems like a good price and chasing down a bunch of issues and hating it. Most states have laws about this, some dealers are even forthright about wanting their customers to be totally satisfied.

I hate to recommend getting rid of a Pilot but I'd strongly consider that at this point.

Unfortunately we drove 2 1/2 hours away to get it. We were smart enough to make the dealer throw in a 6 month 6,000 mile warranty that is able to be used at the local Honda dealer or any garage that takes it.
I want to be happy with it, if I can figure out what this issue is and get it to go away I will drive it for a couple years. I got it for $13,200 which is quite a bit less than they go for here in NJ.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So driving it more today I am noticing a vibration between 20 and 30 mph when accelerating, could that be the torque converter? I had that go on my Explorer but we felt it when it shifted into overdrive. The other vibration I was talking about that is constant on the highway seems to be starting around 45 mph and feels sorta like driving on rough (not bumpy) pavement.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
So driving it more today I am noticing a vibration between 20 and 30 mph when accelerating, could that be the torque converter? I had that go on my Explorer but we felt it when it shifted into overdrive. The other vibration I was talking about that is constant on the highway seems to be starting around 45 mph and feels sorta like driving on rough (not bumpy) pavement.
Keep in mind the pilots have variable cylinder management which will shut down cylinders while driving and activate them when more horse power is needed to maintain your speed. As for the vibration, have you checked the motor mounts? Lastly, are the tires road force balanced? Will

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same vibration. It sounded like a small rumble strip that you will find on the sides of roads. At first I said that there was no way that an engine could make that kind of vibration but then I tried it. The cure was getting the muzzler. Try it, for a hundred bucks it is worth the try. It takes 1 min for you to install yourself.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Unfortunately we drove 2 1/2 hours away to get it. We were smart enough to make the dealer throw in a 6 month 6,000 mile warranty that is able to be used at the local Honda dealer or any garage that takes it.
I want to be happy with it, if I can figure out what this issue is and get it to go away I will drive it for a couple years. I got it for $13,200 which is quite a bit less than they go for here in NJ.
Fair enough, good luck and persevere! My concern is that by the time you spend all of this time and effort even if it's fixed you will never like it and always be worried about it breaking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts