Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery died and I tried to use the wife's new Pilot to jump it... Whoever at Honda that placed the battery should be tarred and feathered. It is placed under the air intake. You have to take the front engine cover off (pop rivets) and the air intake off (plastic screws) just to get to the negative terminal. What a pain in the ass... Could never ask my wife to handle this if she got stranded. Honda should have put a remote post like I had in my BMW with the battery buried in the trunk.

Be forewarned any of you that if your battery is dead or you are a good Samaritan want to help someone with a jump start you will need some tools and an engineering degree to get to the negative post. I guess if the Pilot was getting the jump, you could just find a good engine ground, but if you are doing the jumping and need the terminal be prepared.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Being a DIYer I definitely feel your pain, but the only thing I can really say is get used to it. The overwhelming majority of people today would never even consider jump starting their own car much less carry jumper cables to do it with. They call roadside assistance or AAA. Combine that with the abundance of portable battery jump starters and I doubt that making the Pilot a useful jumpstart vehicle was high on Honda's priority list.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Last night my wife's car battery died and I thought about trying to jump using Pilot but remembered reading here how difficult it is to do that - got new battery and explained the Pilot battery access and the guy at the auto parts store said "you think that's bad, on Dodge Intrepid you have to remove the front wheel!"

·
Registered
774 Posts
Not just that, to jump start your own Pilot would need tools around. :-(
No you don't. There is a remote positive terminal and there are several other places places to use as a ground. You don't need any tools to jump start a dead pilot...this was covered exhaustively in a thread back in summer/fall of 2015.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No you don't. There is a remote positive terminal and there are several other places places to use as a ground. You don't need any tools to jump start a dead pilot...this was covered exhaustively in a thread back in summer/fall of 2015.
Absolutely right... back in the old days, when I was taught, the negative cable should be attached to a good ground on the car being jumped... I think it was an attempt to avoid sparks next to a off-gassing battery, which isn't the case anymore. Using the Pilot to jump my Lexus, I never even tried using the engine ground on the good vehicle/battery. I wonder if that would work as good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not just that, to jump start your own Pilot would need tools around. :-(
You have to take the front engine cover off (pop rivets) and the air intake off (plastic screws) just to get to the negative terminal. Honda should have put a remote post like I had in my BMW with the battery buried in the trunk.

Be forewarned any of you that if your battery is dead or you are a good Samaritan want to help someone with a jump start you will need some tools and an engineering degree to get to the negative post. I guess if the Pilot was getting the jump, you could just find a good engine ground, but if you are doing the jumping and need the terminal be prepared.
They did provide a Neg post - any body / frame bold, screw etc???

Anyone that can't figure this out should not be jumping vehicles IMO :1pat:

·
Registered
31 Posts

The Neg post in the manual that recommended by Honda needs to remove the engine cover to expose (pg. 622). I am not sure how long those plastic pin can last.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Have you used your Pilot to jump start someone else's dead battery by attaching your negative cable to an engine ground. Please confirm that this works. I fully agree that if the Pilot's battery is dead any ground will do, but what about the other way, as I had to do this morning?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Have you used your Pilot to jump start someone else's dead battery by attaching your negative cable to an engine ground. Please confirm that this works. I fully agree that if the Pilot's battery is dead any ground will do, but what about the other way, as I had to do this morning?
It's entirely possible that Honda doesn't want you to use the Pilot for jumping another vehicle. My BMW specifically warns in the owners manual not to use it to jump other vehicles as it could damage vehicle electronics and that car has far fewer electronics than the Pilot....

·
Registered
179 Posts
The Neg post in the manual that recommended by Honda needs to remove the engine cover to expose (pg. 622). I am not sure how long those plastic pin can last.
Agree -

Haven't done it yet - have checked various points w/ digital VOM - will give it a try when I have some time. Any reason you can think of it won't work both ways??? I know the recommended connection points & sequence are the ideal but others can work - if you shouldn't connect to Neg on one vehicle and you use a ground pt why wouldn't it work in reverse - a good connection is a good connection no mater which way the electrons are flowing

Think about it - Pilot (not any other vehicle) starter doesn't have 2 wires - Neg ground is via engine / body & batt'y Neg is connected w/ a ground strap - Starting Amps are high and need to avoid wires & other electronics, etc

It's entirely possible that Honda doesn't want you to use the Pilot for jumping another vehicle. My BMW specifically warns in the owners manual not to use it to jump other vehicles as it could damage vehicle electronics and that car has far fewer electronics than the Pilot....
Bingo - My guess Honda guidelines are a CYA - if anyone connects backwards frying sensitive electronics likely

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Neg post in the manual that recommended by Honda needs to remove the engine cover to expose (pg. 622). I am not sure how long those plastic pin can last.[/QUOTE]

They don't last long when they fall into the engine bay (I found out) and Honda wants too much money for them IMO.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It will work fine. The negative terminal on the battery attaches to the car body, so if you are attaching to the car body you are attaching to the battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The more I think about it I think you guys are right. Those high school electronics classes way back when may have paid off. Any ground will serve as the negative battery post, so that is why is hidden... in the manual they just want you to get tot he post because that is really the right way to do it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Personally, I've had a very difficult time finding a suitable negative grounding point and pretty much gave up on that a while ago. I usually use the negative battery terminal. However, if there is a location on the Pilot to use for this, I'd be interested to hear of it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree, I noticed this but didn't worry me as you should always make contact to the negative to the frame. I had battery explode on me once many years ago on my Camaro when I had some sparks connecting to both battery terminals. Always make the last connection to the frame so any sparks are not at the battery!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would never jump a car I learned my lesson I had a 1984 Buick Grand National it was new at the time. I jumped a friends car which had a short in his electrical system, after trying to jump it I noticed my volt gauge was on 12 volts. I carry a jump pack with me ever since then it also has a pump on it well worth the money.

2016 Pilot EX-L AWD Obsidian Blue, WeatherTech floor liners , mud guards ,hitch ,Bully step, 35 percent tint

1 - 20 of 26 Posts