Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Jumpstarter packs

1696 Views 44 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  tinyrig
I was thinking for the new Pilot to buy one of those jumpstarter battery packs instead of just getting another set of jumper cables to throw in the trunk.

Anyone have a favorite that has high capacity and seems to work well yet doesn't break the bank? ProjectFarm has done some interesting YouTube showdown reviews that I need to look at more closely.

Also I am thinking maybe could utilize the 12V outlet in the trunk on these Pilots to actually just keep one of these plugged in at all times so it wouldn't be forgotten about and then dead when you need it? Thoughts on that?
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
05 EX-L
637 Posts
The Lithium packs don't need nor want to be charged 24/7 like lead acid batteries do. Don't keep it on the charger. Just charge it and put it in a safe spot. I think it is a great idea to have. Especially in the colder months when batteries are less likely to have enough CCA to start the vehicle. You can also be a hero for anyone stranded on the side of the road. These lithium batteries aren't fans of freezing temps. So if you can help it, try to keep them above freezing. Never charge them below 32 degrees. You can, but below freezing they don't like it. You will reduce their life span. In addition to a jumper pack, get a kit. This includes first aid, water, blankets, jacket, gloves, socks, snacks, lights, flares, tire patch kit, sun glasses, extra phone charger, etc... I went with Audew. Has been working great. I got it on sale for about $25 bucks a year ago directly from Audew.

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The Lithium packs don't need nor want to be charged 24/7 like lead acid batteries do. Don't keep it on the charger. Just charge it and put it in a safe spot. I think it is a great idea to have. Especially in the colder months when batteries are less likely to have enough CCA to start the vehicle. You can also be a hero for anyone stranded on the side of the road. These lithium batteries aren't fans of freezing temps. So if you can help it, try to keep them above freezing. Never charge them below 32 degrees. You can, but below freezing they don't like it. You will reduce their life span. In addition to a jumper pack, get a kit. This includes first aid, water, blankets, jacket, gloves, socks, snacks, lights, flares, tire patch kit, sun glasses, extra phone charger, etc... I went with Audew. Has been working great. I got it on sale for about $25 bucks a year ago directly from Audew.
Wow that is a really great price! I like the Noco chargers I have, and I have no doubt that the beefier ones as mentioned in earlier posts here would be great, but those beefier ones are quite expensive vs these other Amazon brands. And when I saw the GB40 unable to turn the larger engines at all in that Project Farm test it steered me away since some other of the cheaper ones still worked. I know a more typical i4 or V6 isn't the same as that guy trying to turn over a completely dead 6 liter truck engine or whatever it was but still had be worried the GB40 just didn't develop enough current

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Also I don't think practically speaking I will be able to keep this above freezing temps in my use case. I was planning to just leave it in the car and bring it in every few months to charge. (Yes would have to let it warm up before charging). If it's not in the vehicle then it doesn't do me much good and I'm not going to realistically bring it in and out of the car every time I am driving somewhere I don't think

· Registered
05 EX-L
637 Posts
Also I don't think practically speaking I will be able to keep this above freezing temps in my use case. I was planning to just leave it in the car and bring it in every few months to charge. (Yes would have to let it warm up before charging). If it's not in the vehicle then it doesn't do me much good and I'm not going to realistically bring it in and out of the car every time I am driving somewhere I don't think
I'm with you there. I just keep mine in the Pilot. Freezing or not. I keep it under the center armrest.

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Is there any easy way to test these to make sure they work? I got 2 coming from Amazon and want to make sure it works within the return window and also potentially pick whichever one seems to crank stronger. But don't I need to have a discharged battery on a car to do that? I don't think it's as simple as just removing the wires from both sides of the battery and attaching the starter pak directly to the car right? I would think we still need the big car battery involved, but since my batteries are working fine then when I go to start the car I won't be seeing anything about the jumper pak

· Registered
851 Posts
Personally I think the jumper packs are a waste of money. With the high cost of batteries today I would start putting 2 dollar a month into a jar and by the time your battery is nearing replacement you'll have enough to cover the cost!
Most modern vehicles auto shut off the headlights after awhile to prevent battery drain and even most headlights are now LED so I really don't know what could possibly drain a battery down except old age or just letting it sit and never driving the vehicle. Here's a thought, sign up for roadside assistance, better use of money and they can do more than just provide a jumpstart but also fuel and a tow if needed in addition to fixing a flat tire or replacing the spare. If you want to be fully prepared for anything that could possibly go wrong you would also want to keep a tire repair kit, a proper jack, a small air compressor and a decent lug nut wrench. Most people don't wait until their car runs out of gas and dies on the side of the road so why should starter battery replacement be any different. Have it proactively tested once a year for free at any auto parts store then replace it when it gets weak.

· Registered
05 EX-L
637 Posts
You don't need a battery, but you run the risk of damage to both the jump starter and your vehicles computer. Not that it will, but that it can. Especially depending on the design of the jumper pack. Can you do it? yes, should you do it? no. Benefit you and another. Post an ad that you want to test out your jumper pack on local classifieds and get a couple people that need/want a free jump, and test it that way. May take a few days or week, but someone out there will be happy to get a free jump start on an old car that has been sitting for a long time, or unfortunate enough to come out and need to get back on the road in a hurry.

· Registered
05 EX-L
637 Posts
Personally I think the jumper packs are a waste of money. With the high cost of batteries today I would start putting 2 dollar a month into a jar and by the time your battery is nearing replacement you'll have enough to cover the cost!
Most modern vehicles auto shut off the headlights after awhile to prevent battery drain and even most headlights are now LED so I really don't know what could possibly drain a battery down except old age or just letting it sit and never driving the vehicle. Here's a thought, sign up for roadside assistance, better use of money and they can do more than just provide a jumpstart but also fuel and a tow if needed in addition to fixing a flat tire or replacing the spare. If you want to be fully prepared for anything that could possibly go wrong you would also want to keep a tire repair kit, a proper jack, a small air compressor and a decent lug nut wrench. Most people don't wait until their car runs out of gas and dies on the side of the road so why should starter battery replacement be any different. Have it proactively tested once a year for free at any auto parts store then replace it when it gets weak.
They are great to have if you have a parasitic draw, which only time will tell. All the previous models suffered in one way or another from it. Especially if you went aftermarket parts and poorly installed. Assuming you have no aftermarket parts and don't suffer from parasitic draws, it is still good to carry around for others, and just incase. Not knowing what quarks these vehicles suffer from just yet. Only time will tell. Being prepared is a smart thing. Being prepared for someone else makes you a hero. I keep a tow strap in my car incase I need to help someone else out. Living in a place that gets snow. I doubt I will ever need it for myself, but nice to know it is there. Peace of Mind.

· Registered
236 Posts
Totally agree.

My original response to the OP was along the lines of getting a jumper pack for a new car made the same sense as lining up a divorce attorney right after the wedding. Look, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. If that's an accessory you want for your car/garage etc by all means buy one.

· Registered
851 Posts
I used to carry a tow strap in my Jeep too but only when I was hitting the trails on the weekend. Forgot to mention I got my wife a battery booster pack a long time ago so keep in her trunk just in case. This was before all the new lithium packs, think it was a nicad. one day she went to use it and it was dead, it had sat for so many years unused and when she finally needed it, it couldn't even help. all having the booster pack with you is giving you one more thing to worry about. testing it out weekly just to make sure it still works, if that's even possible? I know they all have health gauges but how reliable is that gauge.

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I mean if you can fully predict the future then sure. I have always carried a set of jumper cables in my vehicles and I have actually used them from time to time, either for myself or for others. Curious do you carry jumper cables or do you just pay for roadside assistance should you ever need it? AAA is fine if you are happy to sit with your car for 1.5 hours or sometimes more. When I have needed to use jumper cables you can be done in 5 mins. I have never had these battery packs in the past but as they seem to work pretty well and I just got 2 different ones for 50-60 bucks each I figure it could be an upgrade. But time will tell on that. It could also turn out that they lose ability to charge after just a few years and then I just wasted 50 bucks and have to buy another, while I have had the same set of jumper cables in my car now for 30 years.
Our Odyssey has that lovely ability to just leave the overhead light on forever if you let it. I hope the 23 Pilots are smarter than that and will shut off the light after a period of time. We also had 2 different times where just sitting in the Odyssey and letting the kids watch the DVD player etc for 30 mins then the battery was a bit too weak to start the car. And the battery was just 3 yrs old. So unforeseen things do happen. Just a question of how much it's worth paying to prepare for these sorts of things vs dealing with a longer or more inconvenient solution in the moment. (I'm not being sarcastic with that statement either...my brain thinks that way too, like if these things last 3 years then that is effectively 20 bucks a year to carry one around etc....who knows.....)

· Registered
851 Posts
roadside assistance provided as a $5 add on through progressive... a lot cheaper than a jumper box which can only do one thing. I've gone out to jump start a friend's car in the grocery store parking lot one night. guess what happened. his battery was fine and needed to get a tow truck because his starter motor failed. some things you just can't prepare for.
I've never carrier jumper cables in any vehicle I've ever owned. I have no interest in risking damaging my vehicle just to help someone out. are they going to pay to fix my vehicle after they drive off ?

· Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
roadside assistance provided as a $5 add on through progressive... a lot cheaper than a jumper box which can only do one thing. I've gone out to jump start a friend's car in the grocery store parking lot one night. guess what happened. his battery was fine and needed to get a tow truck because his starter motor failed. some things you just can't prepare for.
I've never carrier jumper cables in any vehicle I've ever owned. I have no interest in risking damaging my vehicle just to help someone out. are they going to pay to fix my vehicle after they drive off ?
Hmm well we have different approaches. I've helped other people in a few situations and happy to do so. I'm not worried that it is going to "hurt" my car.

5 bucks a year total? That seems cheap. I dropped AAA many years ago because it was over 100 bucks a year. I should check with my insurance company if it is truly that cheap

· Registered
851 Posts
I've definitely jumped people's dead batteries in the past with no apparent damage to anything on my end but it does add significant stress to the vehicle doing the boosting. I think it's an extra $5 per vehicle per 6 month period, so that's $30 a year for me for 3 vehicles. I can't always be around to save the day when something happens to my wife's vehicle. Less necessary for around town driving but very helpful if taking several long road trips a year

· Registered
22 Pilot SE, 20 GLE 350, 06 Civic EX
267 Posts
Jeez that thing is a boat anchor

I will say that the Harbor Fright "Viking" battery jump starter absolutely face-planted in that Project Farm Youtube test roundup. It was embarrassing!
Well, you wanted cheap and I delivered! ;)

Yes it's a boat anchor, but it's great for home use. I have one, and 3 years and no issues. I store it inside and charge it every 6 months are so. Mine has a lead acid battery, so it's heavy but effective.

I don't have or ever used the Viking battery pack...so can't speak to it.

· Registered
3 Posts
It seems to me that these modern car batteries give 0 warning when they are failing. Cranks fine in the morning and then all of a sudden nothing. I experienced this on my CRV recently. I was sure glad I had my jump starter with me. I jumped it off and drove straight to auto parts store for replacement battery. The shops tester said the battery was fine. I replaced it anyway and haven’t had a problem since so the check it every year deal wouldn’t have worked in my case.

· Registered
6 Posts
Umm, okay?

It comes to mind because for now I am keeping our Odyssey and so I was going to leave the jumper cables in that trunk, but I also would want jumper cables in the trunk of the new Pilot. So instead of spending money for old fashioned jumper cables I was thinking why not spend a little more and get one of these power packs which are much better because then you don't need to find someone else to pull around to your hood and attach the jumper cables. So it got me thinking. I guess because I was a boy scout so "be prepared"....not sure why that is "weird" but okay. I've also used my car to jump others a few times here and there and having the pack would again be easier. In your mind is there a certain time where it's okay to think about jumper cables? Like you need to wait until your car is 3 years old and then you may actually need them or something?
Plan ahead for the unexpected- I do that also- fanttik t8 jumpstart I have

· Registered
1,152 Posts
I bought this cheapie two years ago and it’s been in my trunk compartment the whole time in TX heat. After about 6 months of forgetting it, I needed it and broke it out. 88% charge and it started it multiple times.

Pilot went dead and thought it was being stolen and the alarm kept going off, so I’d kill it. I forgot I needed to click “unlock” on the remote so it would reset. Took 3 restarts and terrible honking in a parking garage to figure this out. I’m sure they thought I was stealing it. <facepalm>.

Bottom line is these things work!! Disclaimer. 2012 Pilot. YMMV on newer ones.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts