Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Jumpstarter packs

1432 44
I was thinking for the new Pilot to buy one of those jumpstarter battery packs instead of just getting another set of jumper cables to throw in the trunk.

Anyone have a favorite that has high capacity and seems to work well yet doesn't break the bank? ProjectFarm has done some interesting YouTube showdown reviews that I need to look at more closely.

Also I am thinking maybe could utilize the 12V outlet in the trunk on these Pilots to actually just keep one of these plugged in at all times so it wouldn't be forgotten about and then dead when you need it? Thoughts on that?
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
This doesn't really answer your question but I have a NOCO battery charger. It is fantastic, well built, compact. They make the jumpstarters as well so I would expect them to work well based on my experience with the charger. Not the cheapest but well reviewed. Just make sure you get one big enough for the 3.5 liter.

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
605 Posts
I use the NOCO GB 70 2000A I used to pick up our stored forklifts from a remote warehouse. Had to use this booster pack many times. Works well and is good for repetitive use. Even has a flashlight built in. A good unit that I am happy with.

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This doesn't really answer your question but I have a NOCO battery charger. It is fantastic, well built, compact. They make the jumpstarters as well so I would expect them to work well based on my experience with the charger. Not the cheapest but well reviewed. Just make sure you get one big enough for the 3.5 liter.
I too have 2 different NOCO chargers...one for my backup sump pump and a small one out in the garage on the little battery thats on my portable generator. Agree seems a good brand.

That Project Farm guy runs a lot of tests. He had some for only $70 that were cranking a 5.7L engine with ease. Need to do some more research. Some of his are just Chinglish named ones from Amazon but still very strong (and cheaper)

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
605 Posts
I too have 2 different NOCO chargers...one for my backup sump pump and a small one out in the garage on the little battery thats on my portable generator. Agree seems a good brand.

That Project Farm guy runs a lot of tests. He had some for only $70 that were cranking a 5.7L engine with ease. Need to do some more research. Some of his are just Chinglish named ones from Amazon but still very strong (and cheaper)
The reason I went with the NOCO was I knew I was going to use it many times at the warehouse and also in the yard. So I needed one that would be good for repetitive use. A cheaper one may good for someone whom may only need it once in a while. Amazing how compact they are now compared to the big bulky ones that they were when they first came out.

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Halo pack that seems to work well. We also have another one we got off Amazon called Audew that also works well
I believe the Audew was a top rated from ProjectFarm's roundup from a couple years ago, and then he had a more recent roundup too with more weird names that I need to go write down (in addition to NOCO which I recognized)

Thoughts on just keeping it plugged in all the time down in the trunk using the 12V socket in the trunk?

· Registered
225 Posts
Sorry, but it seems a little weird that someone would buy a new car and one of the first things considered for an accessory would be a jump starter. I can only remember having to jump start a car twice in the past 10 years and one of those cars wasn't even mine.

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, but it seems a little weird that someone would buy a new car and one of the first things considered for an accessory would be a jump starter. I can only remember having to jump start a car twice in the past 10 years and one of those cars wasn't even mine.
Umm, okay?

It comes to mind because for now I am keeping our Odyssey and so I was going to leave the jumper cables in that trunk, but I also would want jumper cables in the trunk of the new Pilot. So instead of spending money for old fashioned jumper cables I was thinking why not spend a little more and get one of these power packs which are much better because then you don't need to find someone else to pull around to your hood and attach the jumper cables. So it got me thinking. I guess because I was a boy scout so "be prepared"....not sure why that is "weird" but okay. I've also used my car to jump others a few times here and there and having the pack would again be easier. In your mind is there a certain time where it's okay to think about jumper cables? Like you need to wait until your car is 3 years old and then you may actually need them or something?

· Registered
4 Posts
I believe the Audew was a top rated from ProjectFarm's roundup from a couple years ago, and then he had a more recent roundup too with more weird names that I need to go write down (in addition to NOCO which I recognized)

Thoughts on just keeping it plugged in all the time down in the trunk using the 12V socket in the trunk?
Hmmm. I hadn’t considered keeping it plugged in. Recharging every 6 months or so is what I do.

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
605 Posts

I have not used mine for 6 months. In the trunk for that time. Had to boost my tractor today (not that cold out) Worked like a charm. Charging it now (just in case) It still showed 3 bars even after the boost. And it is nice to have a booster pack to help someone out. With electronics these days I don't want to use booster cables.

· Registered
144 Posts
How safe is it to store one of these NOCO in the car in the Texas summer? I travel in the summer and sometimes park my car at the airport for 3 or 4 weeks.

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm. I hadn’t considered keeping it plugged in. Recharging every 6 months or so is what I do.
I have not used mine for 6 months. In the trunk for that time. Had to boost my tractor today (not that cold out) Worked like a charm. Charging it now (just in case) It still showed 3 bars even after the boost. And it is nice to have a booster pack to help someone out. With electronics these days I don't want to use booster cables.
Ok that's helpful. So maybe something where it is better to just set a reminder to bring it inside every 4-6 months and keep it topped off, rather than constantly charging it. I will also see what the instruction manual says for whichever one I end up getting. I was worried that it was something that would drain down within a month and I would forget about it and then it would be embarrasingly dead if I actually needed it

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just ordered both of these to try.....seems like that NOCO GB40 didn't really deliver the needed power according to the ProjectFarm video. Lots of these Chinese ones with higher capacity and lower price....some people say they don't last after a few years but I guess we will see. These were both brands that came with higher ratings and lower prices.

With Amazon always have Free Returns so will check both of these out

Amazon.com: AVAPOW Jump Starter 2000A Peak 18000mAh Portable Battery Jump Starter for Car with Dual USB Quick Charge 3.0(Up to 8.0L Gas or 6.5L Diesel),12V Jump Box,Compact Lithium Car Power Pack : Automotive

Amazon.com: Povasee Jump Starter, 3000A Battery Jump Starter, Car Portable Jump Starter, Jump Starter Battery Pack for All Gas, up to 8L Diesel Engines, with Power Bank/ Dual Output/ LED Light : Automotive

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
605 Posts
How safe is it to store one of these NOCO in the car in the Texas summer? I travel in the summer and sometimes park my car at the airport for 3 or 4 weeks.
We hit sometimes 90F in the summer and I have not had an issue with it. I am not sure if in Texas it gets hotter than that, the issue I worried about was if it performed when we hit -30C. Which didn't effect it. Maybe a quick e-mail to the manufacturer?

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
605 Posts
Just ordered both of these to try.....seems like that NOCO GB40 didn't really deliver the needed power according to the ProjectFarm video. Lots of these Chinese ones with higher capacity and lower price....some people say they don't last after a few years but I guess we will see. These were both brands that came with higher ratings and lower prices.

With Amazon always have Free Returns so will check both of these out

Amazon.com: AVAPOW Jump Starter 2000A Peak 18000mAh Portable Battery Jump Starter for Car with Dual USB Quick Charge 3.0(Up to 8.0L Gas or 6.5L Diesel),12V Jump Box,Compact Lithium Car Power Pack : Automotive

Amazon.com: Povasee Jump Starter, 3000A Battery Jump Starter, Car Portable Jump Starter, Jump Starter Battery Pack for All Gas, up to 8L Diesel Engines, with Power Bank/ Dual Output/ LED Light : Automotive
I agree the GB40 would not be the best fit. I hope one of the two you picked works well for you.

· Registered
134 Posts
I have the Type-S portable jump pack from Costco. Haven't needed it on my vehicles, but I have used it to jump a few cars for others. I have a set in all my cars, especially for my kids, in case they are somewhere and run out the battery. Easy enough for them to attach and use. Twice a year I take them out to recharge and top them off, never have the bars gone below 2/3 full. They usually go on sale a couple times a year, can get them for $60 or less.

· Registered
22 Pilot SE, 20 GLE 350, 06 Civic EX
247 Posts
I was thinking for the new Pilot to buy one of those jumpstarter battery packs instead of just getting another set of jumper cables to throw in the trunk.

Anyone have a favorite that has high capacity and seems to work well yet doesn't break the bank? ProjectFarm has done some interesting YouTube showdown reviews that I need to look at more closely.

Also I am thinking maybe could utilize the 12V outlet in the trunk on these Pilots to actually just keep one of these plugged in at all times so it wouldn't be forgotten about and then dead when you need it? Thoughts on that?
Harbor Freight Tools — best place ever

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the Type-S portable jump pack from Costco. Haven't needed it on my vehicles, but I have used it to jump a few cars for others. I have a set in all my cars, especially for my kids, in case they are somewhere and run out the battery. Easy enough for them to attach and use. Twice a year I take them out to recharge and top them off, never have the bars gone below 2/3 full. They usually go on sale a couple times a year, can get them for $60 or less.
Interesting

I just looked at the Costco site and they look tiny....like only 8000 mah of capacity. But glad to hear it works on your car

1 - 20 of 45 Posts