Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just trying to give our neighbor a jump with my 2020 Pilot. Is there really no access to the negative port of the battery without removing all that plastic covering in the engine area? I thought I must be missing something so I googled it and got a few videos about adding a bolt as a hack to get around removing the plastic. I really can't believe it was designed that way. I feel like I'm missing something, please tell me I am.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Yep, you're right.

Can't you find a metal area on the motor somewhere? By the Throttle Body/Intake? By the oil dip stick?
You just need a ground, not the battery.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
As @The Todd stated, you only need to find bare metal anywhere to clamp to. The negative battery post is grounded to the frame of the vehicle anyway.
I would caution about using your Pilot to jump other vehicles. There is a lot of sensitive equipment in these things that can be affected. I like being a good samaritan, so I carry a jump starter pack with me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I did clamp to metal, it just didn't feel like I should have to do that. Thanks for the cation on jumping other vehicles, I was unaware that it might cause issues.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did clamp to metal, it just didn't feel like I should have to do that. Thanks for the cation on jumping other vehicles, I was unaware that it might cause issues.
IIRC, they actually suggest grounding to the car, not the battery when jumping?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is the vehicle giving the jump okay not to connect to the negative? I know that’s what to do for car getting the jump. But always taught the jumping car needed the positive and negative connection in battery. My daughter‘s battery died yesterday that I was driving for her. Wife came up in 2020 Pilot to help and saw the plastic covering and was pretty annoyed. I didn’t try just the positive for fear of a problem, so friend had to come out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
So I was just trying to give our neighbor a jump with my 2020 Pilot. Is there really no access to the negative port of the battery without removing all that plastic covering in the engine area? I thought I must be missing something so I googled it and got a few videos about adding a bolt as a hack to get around removing the plastic. I really can't believe it was designed that way. I feel like I'm missing something, please tell me I am.
It's not a bad idea to use a body grounding point away form the battery. That last connection can throw a spark depending on how depleted the other battery is and as anyone that was on the Hindenburg will tell you, sparks and hydrogen gas are a bad combo.

Most modern cars with all the computer electronics are very sensitive to voltage anomolies and connecting your battery to another car's can cause problems for one or both cars so "no good deed goes unpunished" can apply. The little lithium "jump start" batteries are a great thing to keep in your emergency kit.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,190 Posts
^^^^ Ya gotta be kidding me. If had had to do that in every Canadian snowstorm during which I've had to do a jump start over the years, I would have found the engineer who designed this and crushed yellow snow into his eyes.

After decades of connecting cables battery to battery to jump start, usually in nasty cold weather, either as a donor or a recipient, a couple of years ago I started carrying around a lithium battery pack. So far, I've only had to use it as a Good Samaritan on some guy's Bimmer at the airport a couple of winters ago.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Is the vehicle giving the jump okay not to connect to the negative? I know that’s what to do for car getting the jump. But always taught the jumping car needed the positive and negative connection in battery. My daughter‘s battery died yesterday that I was driving for her. Wife came up in 2020 Pilot to help and saw the plastic covering and was pretty annoyed. I didn’t try just the positive for fear of a problem, so friend had to come out. Thanks.
Mmm OK.

why would that be? Negative is negative. Frame, metal chassis, battery post, etc.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
639 Posts
It's $152 now (was on sale for 100) but THIS ONE did well in tests. I have 2 of these one in Pilot, one in CRV, and have used one of them 3 times recently to help others. The only thing I don't like is the "override" button doesn't stick out for an easy push. I have other versions like that in the other 3 cars BUT all also have normal jumpers cables as a spare. My neighbours battery on his '15 Pilot was down to .6V after his kids left a map light on. It was 5 years old anyway so we just replaced it but even my smart charger didn't want to try and recover it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts