Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My swap has been finished, but I have a misfire code. My mechanic is taking a look and said that the JDM injector is broken and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know which injector I would need to use? The engine is a JDM J35. I have included a picture so that you can see.

JDM is on the left and USDM is on the right.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
All Pilots have been made in North America. It took a few years before all production was centralized in Alabama. I am unaware of Honda building the J35 anywhere other than in the US. So I'm puzzled by the JDM (Japan Domestic Market) reference.
Could a prior owner have fitted the wrong injectors?

I'm also thinking that combining your various threads on your engine replacement would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The only Hondas that were wade in Japan were the MDX and accura's. Your mechanic should have known that even before thinking to order and JDM engine for this.
Even you get this Engine running You will never find parts for here in the US ..you have to import all the parts or find a place that handles japan parts in order to fix it.
Can't understand why would your mechanic not order a US based crate engine they run about the same price as the one you installed and this would save you the hassle now.
Or even a junk yard one they are out there with low miles ....again less trouble :)

You may have to check the "J35" its needs to be either a J35Z or a J35A4 those are the only engines that will work with the US Pilots. Anything else you just wasted your time on this.

·
Registered
604 Posts
All Pilots have been made in North America. It took a few years before all production was centralized in Alabama. I am unaware of Honda building the J35 anywhere other than in the US. So I'm puzzled by the JDM (Japan Domestic Market) reference.
Could a prior owner have fitted the wrong injectors?

I'm also thinking that combining your various threads on your engine replacement would be helpful.
There are a ton of imported J35's for sale.

Example: 06 15 HONDA PILOT 3.5L J35A VCM VTEC ENGINE JDM HONDA PILOT J35 3.5L VCM MOTOR | eBay

·
Registered
53 Posts
My swap has been finished, but I have a misfire code. My mechanic is taking a look and said that the JDM injector is broken and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know which injector I would need to use? The engine is a JDM J35. I have included a picture so that you can see.

JDM is on the left and USDM is on the right.

Thank you!

Im gonna tell you this, your mechanic is running you through the ringer... find the vin number on the engine block and run it so you know you HAVE THE PROPER VEHICLE INFORMATION... i won't insult your mechanic but sounds like he keeps recurring issues to stay in business... find a real shop that specializes in imports and that would more than likely be a some performance shop with clean looking very low to the ground imports parked outside

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone! He said that he found injectors that fit in the JDM fuel rail. My biggest concern was that the flow rate would be different, but he stated that it is the same. I asked him for the part # to see which vehicle the injectors are from. He also stated that my misfire code is now gone, so I should be in the clear, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for all the help everyone! He said that he found injectors that fit in the JDM fuel rail. My biggest concern was that the flow rate would be different, but he stated that it is the same. I asked him for the part # to see which vehicle the injectors are from. He also stated that my misfire code is now gone, so I should be in the clear, but only time will tell.

hope it works out, but part number doesn’t tell you what vehicle but a list and I do jdm mods and the injectors dont all flow the same, injectors must come from the same batch to be close, and you need a machine to check, and I still think you guy is blowing smoke up your rear... you asked for help and didn’t follow... I really hope you have no more issues and if you find another mechanic...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Worst case, if there are additional problems I could just swap out the fuel rail with my USDM one. I just didn't want to have to do that. The mechanic is a friend, so I don't feel that he would try to rip me off. If there are any issues with fuel delivery the ECU should throw some codes, so we'll see.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Worst case, if there are additional problems I could just swap out the fuel rail with my USDM one. I just didn't want to have to do that. The mechanic is a friend, so I don't feel that he would try to rip me off. If there are any issues with fuel delivery the ECU should throw some codes, so we'll see.

it might not but cause other fuel issues... motors from japan don’t run the same here, they are tuned differently, they are above see level and we are at sea level, the air is much denser there, that’s why there injectors are bigger and at a higher flow rate, they also don’t maintain the same, they need more attention when it comes to service

·
Registered
604 Posts
it might not but cause other fuel issues... motors from japan don’t run the same here, they are tuned differently, they are above see level and we are at sea level, the air is much denser there, that’s why there injectors are bigger and at a higher flow rate, they also don’t maintain the same, they need more attention when it comes to service
So, if you did get a JDM J35 engine for a US Pilot, what would you do? Just use the short block? Or can you use the heads too and just swap everything else over?

·
Registered
53 Posts
So, if you did get a JDM J35 engine for a US Pilot, what would you do? Just use the short block? Or can you use the heads too and just swap everything else over?
When I was doing jdm swaps, installed everything including the ecu or went and got a tune to match specs needed for the motor... but my motors came with copies of the title or I ran the vin before the motor was put in... i definitely seen the vehicle it came from

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only Hondas that were wade in Japan were the MDX and accura's.
An import engine may also be tuned to run on different grade of fuel, I had a couple of Jap imports when I was in the UK & they had to run on the highest octane pump fuel, even that was a bit below what was recommended for the Celica GT4.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts