Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Which would you prefer (not necessarily currently use), a pair of jack stands or pair of car ramps?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Piloteers, it's that time again: Time for a new public poll. :)

Which would you prefer (not necessarily what you currently use), a pair of jack stands or a pair of car ramps? Why?

You can (and should) use chocks with either option.

Just for the purposes of this poll, you can only have a pair of each. Also, not both.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Depends on the work to be performed. Both types of vehicle supports have positives and negatives. Ramps can inspire confidence when loaded correctly but require some skill/practice to use. Both ramps and jack stands can damage asphalt driveways and ramps can slide on concrete floors. Quality jack stands preferably with a pin can be safer than the ratchet type. If I can only have one type it would be the jack stand as the ramp crowds the work space.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Is there something ramps can do that stands can not? Can’t do tire rotation or brakes with ramps.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
It's rare I use ramps anymore. Especially for ATF change. Your fluid drains out better with a drivers side rear wheel being lifted.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Is there something ramps can do that stands can not? Can’t do tire rotation or brakes with ramps.
Ramps can lift the front end of a vehicle without a jack.

Reactions: PLT383 and aggrex

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You got me there......but I thought we were talking "once lifted".

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Both.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which would you prefer (not necessarily what you currently use), a pair of jack stands or a pair of car ramps?
Great, you have the best of both worlds, but if you had to choose between them, which would it be?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Jack Stands because the height is adjustable, and depending upon the vehicle and task at hand, provide that extra clearance you can't get with ramps. (E.g. I'm not sure I could drop the gas tank on my 91 Accord with ramps).

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's rare I use ramps anymore. Especially for ATF change. Your fluid drains out better with a drivers side rear wheel being lifted.
I wonder what it would be like if you lifted both driver's side wheels, front and rear, for an ATF drain & fill. On either jack stands or ramps. Tilting the Pilot sideways.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ramps can lift the front end of a vehicle without a jack.
So ramps could save you either the expense of buying a floor jack or the drudgery of using the provided emergency scissor jack?

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I wonder what it would be like if you lifted both driver's side wheels, front and rear, for an ATF drain & fill. On either jack stands or ramps. Tilting the Pilot sideways.
Why?
Without ramps, I first pull dipstick to vent. Lift the driver front jack point. Break the ATF bolt loose. Slide in the drain pan and open bolt. Lower the front back to the ground and move jack to the rear drivers side (left rear) and lift. If your not in a hurry let it drip. Remove 3.8 qt this way.

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I agree you failed miserable when you didn't include both. You should not be allowed to create a poll for 6 months due to this treachery!

If you are really making me choose one over the other, it's got to be the jack stands since you can do work with the wheels off or on with stands. I have ramps and they are generally relegated (and preferred) to assisting with fluid changes. Even then, I usually have to jack up the vehicle and lower it onto the ramps because my garage floor was painted by the previous homeowner and is very slick.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
Sorry, but this poll is like asking which do you prefer, eating or breathing.

I have long made it a rule to never use a hammer to loosen a nut and never use a wrench to drive a nail. What I prefer is using the right tool for the right job.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
I would choose jack stands if I was forced to pick. But for fluid changes and working under the car 4 ramps work pretty well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts