Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How high do a jack need to lift to change tires on 2008 Pilot ?

Got the Good Year 2-1/4 Ton Hydraulic Trolley Jack
Part#: GY1009
so we can do our own tire-rotations

Would not get neither the front wheels, or rear wheels, off the ground no matter what jacking-point was used.
Had to use a 4"x4" wood-block under the jack to get the front wheel(s) off.
Put the 4"x4" wood block at back also to get the rear wheel(s) off, tires was still touching ground in back

What's the minimum lifting range needed for 2008 Honda Pilots to remove stock 16" wheels ?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
526 Posts
When I first got my 04 Pilot with stock wheels and suspension, I used a 2-ton trolley jack on top of a couple 2x12 planks and realized it was not a very good option. So I bought a 3-ton floor jack with 18 inch rise, and it gets the wheels off the ground an inch or maybe a little more, when using the recommended jacking point in either the front or the rear. The long handle of the floor jack is much easier to use than the trolley jack's handle, plus there's no monkeying around with unsafe boards to get the right height. So if you jack up your Pilot frequently, you're going to want a floor jack for safety and convenience.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
How high do a jack need to lift to change tires on 2008 Pilot ?

Got the Good Year 2-1/4 Ton Hydraulic Trolley Jack
Part#: GY1009
so we can do our own tire-rotations

Would not get neither the front wheels, or rear wheels, off the ground no matter what jacking-point was used.
Had to use a 4"x4" wood-block under the jack to get the front wheel(s) off.
Put the 4"x4" wood block at back also to get the rear wheel(s) off, tires was still touching ground in back

What's the minimum lifting range needed for 2008 Honda Pilots to remove stock 16" wheels ?
Never had an issue raising the Pilot at the approved lift points with my 3-ton floor jack. The performance of the larger floor jack is superior to the trolley jack

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,378 Posts
I’ve been using a 2.5 ton trolley jack with 21” max lift to raise my 2005 Pilot. At max lift the tires are a few inches off the ground.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Never had an issue raising the Pilot at the approved lift points with my 3-ton floor jack. The performance of the larger floor jack is superior to the trolley jack
What’s the differences between those two types of jacks?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I first got my 04 Pilot with stock wheels and suspension, I used a 2-ton trolley jack on top of a couple 2x12 planks and realized it was not a very good option. So I bought a 3-ton floor jack with 18 inch rise, and it gets the wheels off the ground an inch or maybe a little more, when using the recommended jacking point in either the front or the rear. The long handle of the floor jack is much easier to use than the trolley jack's handle, plus there's no monkeying around with unsafe boards to get the right height. So if you jack up your Pilot frequently, you're going to want a floor jack for safety and convenience.
I’ve been using a 2.5 ton trolley jack with 21” max lift to raise my 2005 Pilot. At max lift the tires are a few inches off the ground.

So, looks like need "more than 17" to remove 16" wheels

The jack I listed in first post were 15&1/2" lift... so, now I know...

I'm going to purchase a new jack with at least 18" lift..

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
What’s the differences between those two types of jacks?
Trolley jacks have their uses and work in a pinch as yours may be a larger version but once you try a quality floor jack you won’t go back. Floor jacks are much wider (Stability), longer for a deep reach, some are low profiles and still have a high lift. Big advantage are quick lift with 1-2 pumps to make contact with the approved lift points. Downsides are the weight and they are too large to be portable.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Trolley jacks have their uses and work in a pinch as yours may be a larger version but once you try a quality floor jack you won’t go back. Floor jacks are much wider (Stability), longer for a deep reach, some are low profiles and still have a high lift. Big advantage are quick lift with 1-2 pumps to make contact with the approved lift points. Downsides are the weight and they are too large to be portable.
Thanks for the info. I’m always scurrying to get the jack stands in place whenever I’ve got the Pilot raised near my jack’s max lift height. The extra stability of a floor jack would ease my nerves a bit.

Reactions: ConrodM and aggrex

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Only because it hasn’t been mentioned, don’t forget jack stands and wheel chocks. Safety is paramount when working around or under the heavy vehicle. Figure on at least 3-ton floor jack
Heading to AutoZone to pick up some new jack stands right now

Just returned my HF jacks as they did make it onto the recall list....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Already in arsenal, and was put in use during this task ;)

*Not on the HF recall list
@Sha93 ...check my last post on my thread about the HF jack stands. There is an email from ERIC CEO HF that said the new replacement jack stands for the recalled jack stands were being recalled plus if the consumer has any concern to bring them back recalled or not. Last week I returned two pairs of non-recalled jack stands and got store credit and had a copy of the email on my phone in case. I have an order for ESCO jack stands that are pin-style less convenient but more secure. I own two HF floor jacks and they have been reliable but hydraulic jacks are only for lifting and jack stands to secure the load. When working under a vehicle I have the jack stand, floor jack and a spare tire underneath whenever possible.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
... are you saying, all HF jack-stands should be returned ?
First its commendable that HF is backing up the products they sell. The recall of the replacement jack stands became the bigger issue for marketing new and improved jack stands. Read ERIC's latest email to the public. I was going to relegate the non-recalled jack stands to non-ratcheted use but decided to get rid of them and move towards a pin-style or double locked version for peace of mind. You can make an observation of your jack stands by looking at how the teeth engage the pawl by the paint wear on the teeth. The problem was poor engagement from poor manufacturing not design. If you have concern simply return them.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I got an email on this a while back ..apparently the jacks that replaced the Defective jacks were also recalled due to a welding defect . Sounds like Honda with the airbags :p

·
Registered
797 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,112 Posts
First its commendable that HF is backing up the products they sell. The recall of the replacement jack stands became the bigger issue for marketing new and improved jack stands. Read ERIC's latest email to the public. I was going to relegate the non-recalled jack stands to non-ratcheted use but decided to get rid of them and move towards a pin-style or double locked version for peace of mind. You can make an observation of your jack stands by looking at how the teeth engage the pawl by the paint wear on the teeth. The problem was poor engagement from poor manufacturing not design. If you have concern simply return them.

Good man. Make the wife work for that inheritance money.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Sha93 ...check my last post on my thread about the HF jack stands. There is an email from ERIC CEO HF that said the new replacement jack stands for the recalled jack stands were being recalled plus if the consumer has any concern to bring them back recalled or not.
Thanks, I had missed the "updated" list..

(y)

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
I decided to keep my recalled HF 6 Tons. With a close inspection of each tooth, they look clean and did not have any excess metal in the grooves to prevent them from locking in place.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts