Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am rebuilding my j35 and in process of tearing it down I noticed the cams to be really pitted and chewed up so I want to obviously replace them but my question is are there any other j series camshafts that I can swap them out with or do I have to say with the same ones?

Like can I maybe run the j32 cams or a j37 cam instead as to a cam that is more available?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was your back cam chewed up too? I know my front cam on my 2007 2wd 211K is pitted out. Saw that when I was adjusting my valves. I figured the back cam was probably ok because it looked like it had been running a lot cooler that the front head.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was your back cam chewed up too? I know my front cam on my 2007 2wd 211K is pitted out. Saw that when I was adjusting my valves. I figured the back cam was probably ok because it looked like it had been running a lot cooler that the front head.
Nope my rear cam was just as bad the front was worse but rear cam was pitted as well.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Boo, Honda! I owned a 1981 VW Passat with over 1,000,000 kms (600k miles) whose camshaft was like new. Improper metallurgy is the trend of the 3d millenium.

You can try hondatech forums. Over there they mod engines like no tomorrow, unlike this soccer mom forum. From what I heard, TL, RL, Accord and MDX camshafts should be a direct bolt-on, but I am not sure from what specific engine codes to what. MDX camshafts are also the lightest as they are tubular.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boo, Honda! I owned a 1981 VW Passat with over 1,000,000 kms (600k miles) whose camshaft was like new. Improper metallurgy is the trend of the 3d millenium.

You can try hondatech forums. Over there they mod engines like no tomorrow, unlike this soccer mom forum. From what I heard, TL, RL, Accord and MDX camshafts should be a direct bolt-on, but I am not sure from what specific engine codes to what. MDX camshafts are also the lightest as they are tubular.
Yea I been on a few forums and even contacted a few performance company's I know to see if they make a aftermarket cam for this motor but due to the vcm not many bother with creating a performance cam for this motor.

And as to the other cams I have tried to search if they are interchangeable but have not recieved no solid info on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts