Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

J-Series Supercharger

3854 Views 43 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  aggrex
Hello everyone, I'm fairly new here, I've only had my 2011 Pilot Touring 4WD for a year now.
My name is Armin, I'm 42 yrs old, from So Cal, Veteran from the Marine Corps and Air Force.
With the exception of my previous vehicle, a 2013 Mini Cooper S, all my vehicles have been Honda since day one.
My first car was a 1984 Honda CRX HF, and have had a myriad of other CRXs, Civics, Ridgeline all the way to a 93 NSX and a few CBR 600RR bikes as well.

I am currently enrolled back in school using the VA, going for an advanced manufacturing degree. My school has all sorts of CNC machines donated by Haas Automation which are headquartered out of my hometown of Oxnard, CA and they have a partnership with the school. I just started the semester, and will be working mostly with milling this semester.

Seeing how PrankParts no longer makes the M90 GM supercharger adapter for the Honda J-35, I asked my professor if I could make the adapter plates as a personal project and he said yes, and willing to help me. I'm not an expert by any means, but if you have experience/knowledge with boosting and tuning Hondas, I'd love to get more info on what else I would need to do.

Whoever the guy is on YouTube that supercharged a 1st Gen Honda Pilot has since sold the Pilot and removed the supercharge I believe, and not a whole lot of info was shared.
Look forward to getting this project done in the next few months. I might even make a few extra kits to sell and for less than what PrankParts was asking, depending on material costs, if anyone else would be interested. Like I said, i'm just starting school, but will be doing this as I learn more about machining. I will be making this specifically for the J35Z4 but I believe most J-Series engines have/share similar intake manifolds.

Product Automotive exterior Automotive tire Font Auto part

Product Auto part Font Cylinder Metal
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2015 Touring
83 Posts
I won't be modifying my engine but I do have to say that looks interesting as hell. My automotive engineering knowledge is extremely limited but I'm guessing the base engine will not have a big issue with a supercharger. I think some of the higher end Accuras use a turbocharged version of the V-6. What kind of HP increase is expected?

· Registered
2011 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won't be modifying my engine but I do have to say that looks interesting as hell. My automotive engineering knowledge is extremely limited but I'm guessing the base engine will not have a big issue with a supercharger. I think some of the higher end Accuras use a turbocharged version of the V-6. What kind of HP increase is expected?
This is the guy on YouTube that installed it on the 1st gen

As for HP, depends on tune and how much boost you allow it to create.

realistically, I’m not looking to make huge hp numbers. I’d be happy with a modest 50-100hp more than stock. I wouldn’t have to beef up the internals.
Years ago, I installed a TRD supercharger on my brother’s 4Runner, ran great with no other changes to the engine.

· Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
864 Posts
This is the guy on YouTube that installed it on the 1st gen

As for HP, depends on tune and how much boost you allow it to create.

realistically, I’m not looking to make huge hp numbers. I’d be happy with a modest 50-100hp more than stock. I wouldn’t have to beef up the internals.
Years ago, I installed a TRD supercharger on my brother’s 4Runner, ran great with no other changes to the engine.

I want to watch that but I can't watch that ...

What type of gains are they getting on a stock unit before the inevitable boom?

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Not sure that will fit under the hood stacked on top of the upper intake, also that's directly above and not much distance from the p/s pump. Make sure to take your blower drive into account as you design your system. A Whipple/Magnuson style offset jackshaft drive may work better in this case.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure that will fit under the hood stacked on top of the upper intake, also that's directly above and not much distance from the p/s pump. Make sure to take your blower drive into account as you design your system. A Whipple/Magnuson style offset jackshaft drive may work better in this case.
If you watch the video, it’s already been done, no clearance issues with the Pilot. I’m pretty positive it’s the same thing with the Ridgeline and Passport.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engine will not go boom. Just be reasonable about it and you will be fine. Sounds like a fun project. I have had a 08 civic si with a comptech super charger and a 2010 TSX with the same thing. With a proper tune and some exhaust both cars ran great with no issues.
That’s what I’m thinking, but there’s ALWAYS the naysayers in any car forum. I’m not trying to build some 1/4 mile monster, just a lil bit of boost to get some reasonable extra hp.

· Registered
80 Posts
Finding a good tuner is key. I have done both dyno and live street tune. IMO this will put the most stress on your motor just because they have to do WOT pulls to get it dialed in.

You will need to find a base map right away to get it started.

Like you said your not going to be racing this thing around town but it is nice to hear the SC whine and have that power when wanted.

I think I was pushed 8 to maybe 10lbs of boost on both cars. I used hondata for tuning

Installation is pretty easy compared to a turbo.

· Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
1,236 Posts
If you watch the video, it’s already been done, no clearance issues with the Pilot. I’m pretty positive it’s the same thing with the Ridgeline and Passport.
They mentioned that they had to make clearance for the top of the throttle body, but other than that also stated that they had to change the hose fitting on the power steering to the later 05-08 hose fitting for belt clearance.
My concern would be how the transmission handles the added power.

Looks a bit more complicated than putting a 4-71 or 6-71 on a 56 Firepower, but would be interesting.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They mentioned that they had to make clearance for the top of the throttle body, but other than that also stated that they had to change the hose fitting on the power steering to the later 05-08 hose fitting for belt clearance.
My concern would be how the transmission handles the added power.

Looks a bit more complicated than putting a 4-71 or 6-71 on a 56 Firepower, but would be interesting.
i believe they had to invert the throttle body in order to keep cruise control. Still not a clearance issue within the space of the engine bay and the hood. Yeah, the PS fitting is slightly different and was change to clear the serpentine belt. Still not an issue with fitting everything under the hood, even sitting a top the conversion plates.

· Registered
155 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm fairly new here, I've only had my 2011 Pilot Touring 4WD for a year now.
My name is Armin, I'm 42 yrs old, from So Cal, Veteran from the Marine Corps and Air Force.
With the exception of my previous vehicle, a 2013 Mini Cooper S, all my vehicles have been Honda since day one.
My first car was a 1984 Honda CRX HF, and have had a myriad of other CRXs, Civics, Ridgeline all the way to a 93 NSX and a few CBR 600RR bikes as well.

I am currently enrolled back in school using the VA, going for an advanced manufacturing degree. My school has all sorts of CNC machines donated by Haas Automation which are headquartered out of my hometown of Oxnard, CA and they have a partnership with the school. I just started the semester, and will be working mostly with milling this semester.

Seeing how PrankParts no longer makes the M90 GM supercharger adapter for the Honda J-35, I asked my professor if I could make the adapter plates as a personal project and he said yes, and willing to help me. I'm not an expert by any means, but if you have experience/knowledge with boosting and tuning Hondas, I'd love to get more info on what else I would need to do.

Whoever the guy is on YouTube that supercharged a 1st Gen Honda Pilot has since sold the Pilot and removed the supercharge I believe, and not a whole lot of info was shared.
Look forward to getting this project done in the next few months. I might even make a few extra kits to sell and for less than what PrankParts was asking, depending on material costs, if anyone else would be interested. Like I said, i'm just starting school, but will be doing this as I learn more about machining. I will be making this specifically for the J35Z4 but I believe most J-Series engines have/share similar intake manifolds.

View attachment 161685

View attachment 161686
I would never do this as it's not forcing air into the intake plenum properly. Trying to force compressed air through the top where the passage are way smaller and not designed to flow like that. Interesting idea but poorly executed, I would like to see a bottom piece that actually replaces the factory plenum entirely!

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I would never do this as it's not forcing air into the intake plenum properly. Trying to force compressed air through the top where the passage are way smaller and not designed to flow like that. Interesting idea but poorly executed, I would like to see a bottom piece that actually replaces the factory plenum entirely!
yeah, you can pay $8K+ for that if you want.

here’s that design with the supercharger replacing the intake manifold and sitting lower in the V of the engine block

http://instagr.am/p/Ce1-hhspivN/

· Registered
1,124 Posts
If you watch the video, it’s already been done
In the video he had an early pilot with a 2 belt drive system, the p/s had it's own dedicated belt. Your 11 has a single belt system, your blower pulley will be above and not to far from the p/s pulley, again, you'll need to take blower drive into your design of the system. 🙂. Not my first or 10th rodeo with forced induction 😁. You'll need at least 50% wrap on the blower pulley with a 5 rib belt to get to 8 psi. Less boost obviously requires less wrap, but not by much. Just for comparison, my current whipple setup slips at 15 psi on an 8 rib with 65% wrap, I plan to machine an idler to get that closer to 80% wrap.

· Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
864 Posts
In the video he had an early pilot with a 2 belt drive system, the p/s had it's own dedicated belt. Your 11 has a single belt system, your blower pulley will be above and not to far from the p/s pulley, again, you'll need to take blower drive into your design of the system. 🙂. Not my first or 10th rodeo with forced induction 😁. You'll need at least 50% wrap on the blower pulley with a 5 rib belt to get to 8 psi. Less boost obviously requires less wrap, but not by much. Just for comparison, my current whipple setup slips at 15 psi on an 8 rib with 65% wrap, I plan to machine an idler to get that closer to 80% wrap.

Photos of latest rodeo?
Please and thank you.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Not much to take pics of currently, motor and trans are out. The converter couldn't take it, I think it started to balloon. So building a trans, getting a proper converter built, and pulling the oil pan to check thrust bearing. Pulling a 28 foot trailer full of motorcycles through the mountains at 15psi was more then it signed up for from the factory. 😆

1 - 20 of 44 Posts