1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No surprises here…

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002-11-21-dependable_x.htm

I have a question for you all???

Do any of you feel compelled to speak up when you hear co-workers or friends or whomever talk about how great and reliable their American or Germans cars are??? I do-

For example, a lady at my work was running around the office for days going on and on about how cool her new Saturn was. Here is a news flash for those of you that don’t already know this and don’t bother to research their vehicles before buying…

Saturns are pieces of S**T!!! Open your eyes and ears people!!! I get really worked up by people who continue to buy inferior vehicles with all this info at their fingertips. It doesn’t make any sense!!! Whew…that felt good-

:3: :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
:1: Love my German cars but agree with most of your post, especially concerning saturn, the worst of the worst!

Havasu blue (discontinued?)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My last domestic car (and probably the last domestic car I'll ever own) was a Saturn. I loved that car, and at the time we bought it ('93) it was a quality car and a better value than any comparable model, import or domestic. It makes me sad to see how they've gone downhill. Of course, the whole domestic/import classification is a moot point anyway, with "imports" being built here and "domestics" being built from imported parts! :rolleyes:

But no, in answer to your question, I don't point out the superior qualities of my Honda to someone who just bought an inferior car. Well, if I didn't like them I might. ;) But if someone's planning a purchase, I definitely give some advice.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I know a lot about new cars and their pros/cons (enough to make 80% of all salespeople in the USA blush.....except Jerry ;) )

If it's within my family, they always come to me for advice and I tell them what cars would be in their price range and comfort and safety, etc. etc. . I steer them clear of bad models.

If it's a co-worker, I still give them advice, but to a certain level. It's their decision, not mine....and I respect that. If they want my advice, I'll give it to them, but I won't stop them from buying a certain car.

Your case brings up several points. I think we all know that not all American cars are bad. Even some Japanese cars have lemons. It's one big crap-shoot.....close your eyes, point to a car on the lot, and pick it....it could be the worst one of the bunch or it could be the best one.

If someone were to ask my advice about buying a Grand Prix I would highly recommend it because my experience has been very positive. Brakes have been a recurring problem in these cars, also the fuel pump and the AC/Delco batteries leaking. I've only had the brake problem and the battery problem. But mine has been very reliable in some of the worst possible conditions.

If someone were to ask my advice on a Pilot, I would say it is the best bet for under $40K. But I would warn them of the transmission. I can't get over the fact that (1) the transmission keeps shifting so much on hills and (2) the cruise control waits to downshift until you're at the bottom of the hill and already losing speed. :3: I think that if I take it on a long drive with lots of hills, it will get very frustrating. :(

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah, there is always different things in different cars and trucks, but still would not buy a Grand Prix, or any GM vehicle, even if the Pilot Tranny is funny... Honda has just way better quality to even look at a GM commercial. But will take a better look at the tranny when I get the chance.

rob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah, there is always different things in different cars and trucks, but still would not buy a Grand Prix, or any GM vehicle, even if the Pilot Tranny is funny... Honda has just way better quality to even look at a GM commercial. But will take a better look at the tranny when I get the chance.
I agree with you there. If my car didn't have the 3800-V6, I wouldn't have bought it. That's probably the most durable engine GM has. If it wasn't for that, I probably would have bought from a foreign automaker because there's not too many other good vehicles out there that interest me in the GM stable. (but that's changing with all their new upcoming models). Not really interested in Chrysler vehicles anymore (I used to be) and I don't even bother to look at Fords. :rolleyes:

If I were to buy another car right now, I would look at the Accord/Camry/Maxima/Altima first before trying the domestics. I think from now on Honda will always be a factor in my purchases.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts