Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Carvana is coming tomorrow to pick up my 2012 EX-L RES and it will be riding off into the sunset!

I've posted quite a bit in various threads (and this one 2012 Pilot EX-L Motor Mounts) about the issues I've had.

Very happy to finally get rid of it and not worry if it's going to leave me stranded. Carvana offered me $13.1k for it with 94k miles (9 years old), sight unseen. That's more than I was going to get on trade in 2 years ago. Covid has made the used car market crazy! Vroom was offering $10.5k, and I'm sure I would have gotten less than that on any trade in. I started the process yesterday (Monday), got the offer immediately, accepted it, uploaded the required documents, and have them picking it up tomorrow (Wednesday). Never having to leave my house or deal with a sleazy dealership trying to lowball me is awesome. I'm a believer for selling through Carvana, not sure about buying, though!

We rarely drive it anymore, our kids are starting to go off to college, have their own cars, no more big carpools, etc. so we are going down to just one vehicle for my wife and I for now (2018 Mazda 6 Signature - love that car).

At some point we'll be getting a Tesla Model Y. Just waiting until the RWD long range is introduced and then decide if we want that or AWD. Our driving habits of mostly short 1-2 mile trips will be perfect for an electric car. And with a Tesla and the supercharger network, the road trips we actually take can be done with it.

Just wanted to let others know that this generation of Pilot seems to be getting higher values on Carvana at the moment. If you are thinking of selling/trading in, check them out. I'll update tomorrow after they actually pick it up.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Glad you got good value out of it... enjoy the Mazda and at some point the Tesla! With a 3 mile commute I am the perfect EV candidate but I just can't yet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Just checked mine (same model) and I'm at $13,700 with 4k less miles. That's still $2k more than the KBB instant offer. Dealer offered me $10,100 on a trade. Curious to know how the pickup goes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So Carvana came and bought the vehicle today. The guy literally spent about 5 minutes looking at the vehicle, confirming VIN, gave me some papers to sign, and he was gone. Then about an hour later a tow truck came and picked it up. The process couldn't have been easier.

I'm going to check Carvana until I see it pop up and see what they are selling it for. It's brown with 94443 miles on it in Arizona.

If I ever buy a used one from them, I'll check carfax for a single owner lease return, as those are generally low miles and well maintained due to the lease agreement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
And one final update.

The ACH deposit hit my account today (Thursday). So from beginning to end it was 4 total days from initiation to payment received.

You can choose to receive a paper check when they come pick it up, but they'll charge you $5 for that. And then you have to go to the bank and deposit it if it's over your mobile deposit limit. Your bank may withhold funds until it clears which could take even longer.

They also have a direct instant pay option for a 0.5% fee, but I was fine with the free ACH payment.

Best of luck to you all. This forum was very helpful and friendly when trying to figure out what was going on with my Pilot.

Bryan

ETA: I got a follow up email from Vroom saying my offer increased from $10.5k to $11k. Still too low, but interesting that they raised the offer. Feels too much like a dealership who wants to keep you from walking out the door, so they play their games.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Wait OP got rid of a Pilot cause of motor mounts ? Hate to see what would have been done if anything serious went on the Pilot....Damn just before the timing belt was due also .. Nice .:) I guess the Pro's and Cons was that the Pilot was actually no longer needed anymore since the family downsized.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
OMG SO DAMN TRUE LOL
Yea our Traverse has been good so far but there are many very common $1500 or more issues with them... knocking on the hardest thing I can find, my head.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
243 Posts
Yea our Traverse has been good so far but there are many very common $1500 or more issues with them... knocking on the hardest thing I can find, my head.
I have over 3k in GM "blue card" rebates that I can use without any model specific limitation but after owning from new 6 GM vehicles from 1998 through the 2011 model year and I can say I have absolutely had enough of GM's component failures.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have over 3k in GM "blue card" rebates that I can use without any model specific limitation but after owning from new 6 GM vehicles from 1998 through the 2011 model year and I can say I have absolutely had enough of GM's component failures.
I have to agree with this myself Being a die hard GM family I'm the first to break tradition and hybrid over to a Honda... family has not been the same since o_O:p🤪☹

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I have to agree with this myself Being a die hard GM family I'm the first to break tradition and hybrid over to a Honda... family has not been the same since o_O:p🤪☹
I've broken the mold in my family plenty of times... first with a Nissan, first with a Toyota, first with a Hyundai (technically my wife did that)... my hardcore Honda parents somehow survived...

And here I am today, with a Honda in the stable... something must have stuck?

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
243 Posts
I'm 55 and all throughout the 80s I had used GM's and loved them all. I had a 75 350 Malibu Classic, a 1980 Olds Delta 88 coupe that was a diesel change over to a 403 (I believe it was Poncho engine) that was the ultimate sleeper. I owned it from 1984 to 1993-fantastic car, I still miss it. A 1981 GMC Sierra with the straight 6 and three on the tree, 78 GMC Jimmy(the big one with leaf springs at all 4 corners) and an 88 k-5. The 88 K-5 was the first one to give me trouble but I thought it was because it was either abused or neglected-it had auto-locking hubs that sometimes would not disengage in frigid weather and what would happen is it felt like it was going to through the power divider up through the floor board. I had them regreased with no success then replaced and they were EXPENSIVE, then the trans gave out.

I'm not even going to go into my new vehicles with the Dex-CRUD clouding up almost immediately on the 3100 v6(and the piston slapping noise they had to install new pistons) and the failing transmission valve body(same car, 2000 Buick Century) or the 98 Jimmy I bought for my ex-wife that had to have the remote oil cooler lines changed every 40K or so or the Dex-CRUD induced intake manifold gasket failures on both the GMC and the Buick, or the 2011 Malibu I bought with my current wife where the alternator failed at 25k on interstate 65 in Gary, IN. Nope, not going to go into it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm not even going to go into my new vehicles with the Dex-CRUD clouding up almost immediately on the 3100 v6(and the piston slapping noise they had to install new pistons) and the failing transmission valve body(same car, 2000 Buick Century) or the 98 Jimmy I bought for my ex-wife that had to have the remote oil cooler lines changed every 40K or so or the Dex-CRUD induced intake manifold gasket failures on both the GMC and the Buick, or the 2011 Malibu I bought with my current wife where the alternator failed at 25k on interstate 65 in Gary, IN. Nope, not going to go into it.
Were you the kid that had to grab the hot pan on the stove multiple times before you realized it wasn’t fun? ;-)

Im hoping GM is better these days. I really like the C8 and I know their v8 trucks have historically done reasonably well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For those following, the Carvana values continue to increase. Mine is up another $144. This is like the stock market with knowing when to sell. New 2021 Pilot Touring is $39,200. Used 2020 Pilot Touring's with <10k miles are $41k.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts