Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the jist... Everything else aeems right. Just doesn't act like I'm trying to start. I Googled which is how I found this site, and can't find specifically what would cause it or how to fix it. Just glad we know how to get passed it to get it to start. But I'm worried it's electrical or something that may get worse. Surely we're not first to experience this. 127k on engine, 2006. Just paid $2k to get it out of the shop for head/valve work. New timing, water pump, radiator, thermostat, engine is actually newer than the car. I expected it not to give us anymore issues for years. We didn't have it for 3 months completely forgot it had started randomly doing this gear start issue.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,844 Posts
Sounds like it could be the neutral safety switch or its associated cable. Also check the electrical connector on the switch. Do some searches for related threads in this topic since it’s definitely come up before. And welcome to the forum.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
Sounds like it could be the neutral safety switch or its associated cable.

Wait, is there an echo in here? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like it could be the neutral safety switch or its associated cable. Also check the electrical connector on the switch. Do some searches for related threads in this topic since it’s definitely come up before. And welcome to the forum.
I am searching in here and people definitely have had same issue it seems, but then when I Google the safety switch and starter (both of which seem to be the common issue) symptoms, they don't really match. I should've paid more attention to the lights when I tried to start it. They all seemed to come on like normal. But there is no check engine light. Sometimes that VSA light(triangle with !) flashes like 3 times quickly when I take off from a red light, so I've been nervous about an electrical issue for awhile as I know they can get costly, transmission has also been a worry. I guess I'll wait for it to happen again and make a video. I'm just wanting whatever to be cheap and hopefully be able to do it ourselves. We have such crap luck with cars.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Also, when was the last time you changed the VTM-4 fluid (with Honda OEM only)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am searching in here and people definitely have had same issue it seems, but then when I Google the safety switch and starter (both of which seem to be the common issue) symptoms, they don't really match. I should've paid more attention to the lights when I tried to start it. They all seemed to come on like normal. But there is no check engine light. Sometimes that VSA light(triangle with !) flashes like 3 times quickly when I take off from a red light, so I've been nervous about an electrical issue for awhile as I know they can get costly, transmission has also been a worry. I guess I'll wait for it to happen again and make a video. I'm just wanting whatever to be cheap and hopefully be able to do it ourselves. We have such crap luck with cars.
Also, when was the last time you changed the VTM-4 fluid (with Honda OEM only)?
We have not. The vtm was a light that was issue prior to it being in shop, but all lights are off now. It's a new to us Pilot. So we actually had zero clue about ot needing rhat fluid. It was a PA Pilot so I'd think they probably did use the 4WD in winter.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Also check the ground cable near/below the starter for corrosion, etc. since your Pilot may have spent some of its life where the roads are salted.

@aggrex should be able to provide you a photo of this cable in a non pristine condition.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Also check the ground cable near/below the starter for corrosion, etc. since your Pilot may have spent some of its life where the roads are salted.

@aggrex should be able to provide you a photo of this cable in a non pristine condition.
Ground wire corrosion is one of those silent problems that can be the root cause of a mystery issue.
17E43E6C-5D3D-45BF-A5EC-05795D152CF3.jpeg

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
^^^ You need to create an NFT for that work of art. Someday you'll retire a rich man. :)

OP, can't hurt, to say the least, to put some fresh VTM-4 fluid in, even this late in the game.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It ended up being starter. Starts like a champ now, I can definitely tell difference from before. But now we've spent as much as we paid for it 😅 we're struggling whether to sell it for $6k seeing as everything aside from transmission has been replaced now, or keep it since we SHOULD have a reliable car now. We have terrible luck with cars 🤦🏻‍♀️ that starte was over $600

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
It ended up being starter. Starts like a champ now, I can definitely tell difference from before. But now we've spent as much as we paid for it 😅 we're struggling whether to sell it for $6k seeing as everything aside from transmission has been replaced now, or keep it since we SHOULD have a reliable car now. We have terrible luck with cars 🤦🏻‍♀️ that starte was over $600
Expecting that any 15-year-old vehicle with over 100K miles on it won't need periodic repairs seems a bit unreasonable.
If you sold this Pilot, what would you buy to replace it?
With what previous vehicles have you had terrible luck?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Glad you got the issue resolved. If you’ve had routine maintenance performed on the vehicle, I’d be more inclined to keep it since you know the history. If you want to get additional years out of it you might consider bumping up the interval of the fluid exchanges.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Starters are common go-bad parts across a wide range of vehicles. Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Expecting that any 15-year-old vehicle with over 100K miles on it won't need periodic repairs seems a bit unreasonable.
If you sold this Pilot, what would you buy to replace it?
With what previous vehicles have you had terrible luck?
Seems like it's had it's fair share of issues. It has a new radiator, thermostat, the engine isn't original, the heads have been redone and head gasket replaced, timing, water pump, now starter. Oh it did that not starting thing again today, so starter wasn't even the main issue apparently, so a bit annoyed with that, we now have to take it back a 3rd time. I have a '93 Chevy Blazer before this, an ’06 Suzuki Forenza before that, and my first car was a ’93 supercharged Buick Park Ave Ultra. I don't mind buying something and putting work into it, but this seems like a very dishonest sale. No reason I ahould be spending thousands on a $3700 car. Like my other ones were all $1300 and below, I expected to put in what it costs. Idk of rhe dude knew about the head gasket, but he DEFINITELY knew it was overheating because we weren't the ones ro put in that radiator, but we did burp line, and replace thermostat/water pump. I'm into the Durango SRT(not a fan of Dodge though) or the Highlander/4Runner. My partner wants a Honda Odyssey.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So they have now checked battery terminal and then did something to transmission range? I believe the transmission thing fixed it. They said if it starts doing it again we'd need to replace it, for $351 😕

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Transmission range sensor, perchance?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts