Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery died. It was a no-name I got installed along with a replacement alternator about 3½ years ago. Actually, it does have a name, and a very Canadian logo, but I'd never heard of the company, which seems to be some local whatever outfit.

Pol-R > About POL-R

The starter churned a little, then clicked. Dash lights dimmed. No starty.

Luckily I was at home in my (unheated) garage and I knew what to do, among other reasons because I've been hanging around this fine forum for a while, with its wealth of knowledgeable and helpful members.

I hooked up (positive first, negative second) my vintage Canadian Tire battery charger which is so old it might have seen service during the winter of '44-'45 recharging Allied tanks as they plowed through the Siegfried Line (after which Gen. Patton was quoted as saying that fixed fortifications are a monument to man's stupidity).

After 15 minutes or so my Pilot had enough of a charge to start, and I drove about a ½ an hour to a Walmart and got the second to last EverStart Maxx 24F left, with its 725 cold cranking amps. I had brought my tools in case I had to install it in the parking lot if my Pilot wouldn't start again, but the drive over had recharged old Pol-R battery enough to get it going again, and anyway it was night and snowing so I just drove back home.

The next day I tried to start it again, and I had the same labored cranking followed by clicking. OK, that confirmed it; it wasn't a fluke: the battery had shuffled off this mortal coil.

Now the hardest part: I had to find my proverbially ever-elusive 10mm socket. Damn, I thought it was in my main kit, and I must have tried for 20 minutes to no avail.:mad: Fortunately, I finally found one in another socket set. 😅

Disconnecting the negative cable first, I moved it out of the way an lay it on an old glove to avoid it making contact with anything. Then I did the same with the positive, but a swivel socket helped in that case because of a tight fit.

The bracket was more of a booger than I would have anticipated, though, as the the threads protruded just enough beyond the (10mm, again!) nut so as to prevent my socket from reaching it. Wish I'd had a deep socket set, nuts. But a few turns with a pair of good ol' Vice Grips and I was back in business.

And now a word of caution. Do not drop the two brackets, which have sort of half hooks at the bottom you turn to free them, lest that be the last time you ever set eyes on them as they descend into the bowels of the engine bay.

Then I pulled the old battery up and out. Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead? Lead acid batteries are not featherweight.

I reinstalled the new battery and tightened the bracket nuts to the Goldilocks region so that the brackets held the battery snugly but that the nuts were high enough to catch on my standard length sockets the next time. Then it was reconnect the positive cable followed by the negative cable.

Ant then, the moment of truth. It started up zip-a-dee-doo-dah. I let it run 10 or 15 minutes in case it needed a bit more recharging. Then I went home and to bed.

My last remaining unresolved doubt was if the drain had been caused by an old age/no-name battery or a parasitic drain. As I didn't have any reason to go out, I let it sit in the unheated garage for 2 or 3 days. Then came the moment of ultimate truth...

It started and has been fine since. This was last week. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine showed the dashlight, all interior lights dimmed or flashed once, then out. So I went out and got an alternator. Will be installing it tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, it's just a battery, but why not have fun telling the tale? :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I enjoyed reading, especially the part about not droping your brackets... "lest that be the last time you ever set eyes on them as they descend into the bowels of the engine bay." Lol that's when I pull out the flexible magnet and go down into the belly of the beast.

·
Registered
601 Posts
What about the part where you soaked and scrubbed the terminals with baking soda, the wire brushing of the inside of the terminals, installing the NCP2 felt pads, covering the terminals in NCP2 or dielectric grease to inhibit corrosion? The spotless cleaning of the battery box? Hooking up a battery tender overnight is actually a very good idea, as these batteries self discharge when on the store shelf. In 6 months they could be almost dead, depending on ambient temp of the storage (colder is better). Luckily Walmart cycles through their inventory fast. I always look at the “born on date” and get the most recent one they have which is usually 2 months old.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the part where you soaked and scrubbed the terminals with baking soda, the wire brushing of the inside of the terminals, installing the NCP2 felt pads, covering the terminals in NCP2 or dielectric grease to inhibit corrosion?
Mañana (definition 2). My fingers were getting cold. 🥶

Also, I'm waiting for a dielectric grease coupon in Sunday's paper. :)

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Sunday rolled by and no coupon was to be found. In the ongoing clash of the titans between the cheap bastard in me and the OCD me, this time the latter has won.

As I walked past it in the lube aisle at Canadian Tire, the siren song of the dielectric grease beckoned.

As soon as I got home I generously lubed up the whole wazoo. I feel much better now. :)

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a first time for everything. Like me today. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
This story had me captivated from the first word... you sir, are an arteest.

Regarding the dielectric grease... I've been married for a while now and have 3 kids, lubing up battery posts and caliper slide pins is all the excitement I get anymore! And my wife wonders why I'm always out doing a brake job!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Well I enjoyed reading it allowing me to finish a big bag of caramel popcorn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts