Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having half of my roof repainted in 3018 after it peeled like a snake Honda reluctantly paid half. Now here it is 2020 and another area has peeled . Anyone else have this situation? Was Honda helpful a second time? They were terrible first time.
I have owed Honda’s since 1992 this will be my last .
Thanks -

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I've got 2 white 2012 Crosstours, one I've owned since new. Both sit un-garage kept, enduring long hot Texas summer heat with no paint issues.

Reactions: PHM and The Todd

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
After having half of my roof repainted in 3018 after it peeled like a snake Honda reluctantly paid half. Now here it is 2020 and another area has peeled . Anyone else have this situation? Was Honda helpful a second time? They were terrible first time.
I have owed Honda’s since 1992 this will be my last
Could be the prep work or lack of prior to repainting the roof. For example if the shop tried to skimp on expenses and use regular paint on the plastic bumpers flaking and cracking would appear in time. Could be due to acid rain in your locale. Try a different color as white has not been a lucky color for you.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
938 Posts
Isn't that paint color a known issue with Honda?
I'd assume they did a crappy job repairing the paint.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Isn't that paint color a known issue with Honda?
I'd assume they did a crappy job repairing the paint.
I believe it's a paint issue industry wide not isolated to Honda, but rather the paint manufacturer (PPG). The other day I saw a mid 2010's Chevy Silverado in a parking lot with paint peeling on the quad cab door just past the window. Here's some info on a Toyota recall for their white paint - Toyota rolling out recall fixing Blizzard Pearl & Super White paint jobs for free

·
Registered
27 Posts
2013, 70K miles Touring, white:
April 2020 --> top peeled, honda repainted under warranty. no $ out of my pocket.
June 2020 --> hood peeled, honda repainted under warranty. no $ out of my pocket
Nov 17, 2020 --> both left doors peeling --> honda repainting at 99% as "gratitude" service. (my out of pocket is expected to be about $50)

we'll see how the rest of the car holds up but it is getting kinda silly they are choosing to just paint one part at a time... I literally have lawyers on standby waiting till they deny the next repaint need (when the rest of the car peels...)

-Matt
North Idaho

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got 2 white 2012 Crosstours, one I've owned since new. Both sit un-garage kept, enduring long hot Texas summer heat with no paint issues.
I wonder if it is the cold temp swings that are causing it? Seems that my paint only flakes (rather, peels off in sheets!) when we drop below about 20F.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I wonder if it is the cold temp swings that are causing it? Seems that my paint only flakes (rather, peels off in sheets!) when we drop below about 20F.
Good point. Doesn't freeze much where I live.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
275 Posts
Had same problem with the 80s Fords. The clear coat would peel off. Looked like hell.
Bad prep, or bad paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts