Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Honda Pilot Touring 4wd. So 2 weeks ago I had some firewood fall off a truck in front of me and because of traffic I wasn't able to avoid them, The visible damage is the plastic molding under the bumper and in the wheel wells was ripped off or torn the passenger side steel shroud that protects the brake rotor was pushed into the rotor, the shielding on the cats is damaged, the loop the goes around the driveshaft to the rear was bent into the driveshaft and I had to bend it out of the way. Also randomly the tighten gas cap message pops up now and within a minute or two vanishes. However, the bigger issue is I now have limited power steering and I only really have power steering when turning right also the air conditioning sometimes works and other times doesn't So what could be causing the problem with the power steering and the AC, Sometimes when I hit a bump they will work for a short period of time for the power steering and the ac then works until I turn off the car. I called my insurance about it but because its mechanical they said to have it diagnosed which the local Honda service center couldn't give me a straight answer when it comes to cost to diagnose the issue. So I am wondering if anyone knows what might be the problem so I can get it fixed!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Look at the serpentine belt and tensioner. It's right at the bottom on the passenger side by that wheel well. I bet it got smacked as well.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Steel piping in the PS system, and piping in the AC system could have been partially crushed by the firewood. Your gas tank was probably hit, and the filler neck dislodged. You need to have the Pilot thoroughly examined on a lift. Gas tank damage could be a safety issue.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
This sounds like enough different systems and potential cost you should contact your insurance company...

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,618 Posts
That sucks when people don’t secure their loads properly and others get negatively impacted. I can’t tell you how many ladders, buckets, mattresses, etc., I routinely see on the side of the freeway.
I wish you the best of luck getting this resolved with insurance. Don’t let them tell you that you should have avoided the firewood.

·
Administrator
15,399 Posts
You really need to get your car put up on a lift to get the damage fully assessed. Hopefully you have contacted your insurance or the trucks insurance.
The exhaust is there, power steering lines etc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well It turned out to be alot more damage, I took it in today and the Steering rack, both front struts and the rear diff. the AC had a bad relay

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,618 Posts
I hope insurance doesn’t end up totaling the Pilot. None of those components are cheap, and then there is labor too.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Without any plate Number this will fall under hit and run ... really good chance the insurance will total the Pilot .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts