Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

621 - 628 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Recently purchased 2020 Pilot EX-L. First new car since a new 1999 Toyota Avalon. So, yes, i’ve got some adjusting to do. But today’s new seats, all firm foam without springs, are really hard. What’s up with that? And...the Pilot driver seat bottom tilts back too far even when adjusted as far as the motor will move it to tilt forward/downward. Like sitting in a cup. Anyone know if it’s possible to add height risers on the back floor attachments to raise the back and tilt seat forward?
GR33n.... I just picked up the same car last week. I noticed the same thing with the drivers seat forward tilt. I've got it all the way forward, and it's BARELY enough. Yes, like sitting in a cup. Let me know if you find a fix or a hack.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Diagnosing intermittent problems is something very few people can do properly. Software issues are never intermittent. The software will behave the same every time, it does not change unless a tech has updated it. Intermittent problems are always electromechanical, and often triggered by motion and/or thermal change.
Not exactly sure why it might be different when it comes to auto software (especially based on Android), but certainly there are all kinds of software issues that can present themselves in intermittent/sporadic ways on all kinds of devices that have been around, ranging from computers, to mobile phones, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you see what looks like an intermittent software problem, the root cause is electromechanical. There is absolutely no way the software is changing on its own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you see what looks like an intermittent software problem, the root cause is electromechanical. There is absolutely no way the software is changing on its own.
Intermittent: occurring at irregular intervals; not continuous or steady.
Software can act this way based on certain conditions being met. You can get the blue screen of death with Windows intermittently and not no what caused, multiple states can cause these problems.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not true at all. BSOD is caused by specific sequences of events which can be repeated. They aren’t as easily repeated because they are caused by “death of a thousand cuts” memory leaks that accrue to the point of a crash from insufficient memory handles. Don’t get too worried about not understanding it, not many people can do a differential diagnosis successfully - the human mind isn’t wired for it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not true at all. BSOD is caused by specific sequences of events which can be repeated. They aren’t as easily repeated because they are caused by “death of a thousand cuts” memory leaks that accrue to the point of a crash from insufficient memory handles. Don’t get too worried about not understanding it, not many people can do a differential diagnosis successfully - the human mind isn’t wired for it.
So sometimes doing the same type of things would result in a crash and other times they won't, because something else somewhere else in the background might be different in one way or another (like the memory leaks you bring up). Why would that apply differently to software in a vehicle that could similarly end up getting stuck or crashing at times while not at other times?

(Trying to indirectly, or really directly, dismiss things based on some sort of implied supposed inability of people to understand something, actually ends up undermining any actual points that might be there.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a degree in computer science, so in fact i do understand. I study string theory for fun...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Root cause analysis is the name of the game. Do not forget that randomness is not the goal of software - its place in this world is to automate tasks that are either too mundane or minute to be suitable for humans. Automation takes a specific set of inputs and determines a calculated output with pre-determined algorithms. If a flakey sensor is being monitored, guess what? Yep, garbage in equals garbage out.

621 - 628 of 628 Posts