Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think we should make a sticky for all the issues the Pilot is having so current and new owners can find them in one spot. Also if an owner has posted a fix done by the dealer it can go here as well so others can "explain" to their dealer how to fix it.

Here's a start of what I've seen.

- DOOR UNLOCK/LOCK setting : always resets back to default. I haven't found a cause yet. Thought it was an issue with remembering settings between both sets of keys, but it was not. Plan to speak with dealer this week.
FIX - TBD

- REMOTE START : works intermittently or sometimes not at all. Also if I get it to work and then shut it off using the key, I can't get it to remote start again.
FIX - TBD

- CARPLAY : 2016 Accord will be supported and according to the press release is based off the same android software the pilot is. Pilot is currently running 4.2.2, but it needs to run 5.0 to support Android Auto. Official word from Honda on their Twitter post is that the new Pilot will not be backwards compatible. Additional Twitter posts from Honda says certain new 2016 models will support CarPlay...models to be announced later.
FIX - TBD

- FLASHING LIGHT SHOW : one user posted that all his warning lights were going off in the dash and the engine would surge, etc. At one point the the car could not be switched out of park. Seems to be a common occurrence on the 2015 and 2016 MDXs as well. Dealer looked at it twice I think and was able to correct the issue the second time. Initial problem according to dealer was misfire in cylinder #5.
FIX - towed to dealer to correct engine misfire

NAV/ENTERTAINMENT SCREEN GOES BLANK : just read a few posts about this, but haven't seen a fix. Basically the screen his dark and the owner can't get it to come back on. The car still drives fine.
FIX - TBD

ZF TRANNY ISSUES : some have reported tranny issues such as jerking, hunting for gears, etc. from reading similar posts in the MDX forums some of them recieved a software update to correct the issue or help smooth things out. I haven't seen any fixes posted to the Pilot owners experiences this.
FIX - possible software update? Also running it with ECON mode on smooths it out, but at the expense of loss of power.

- FIT AND FINSH : overall fit and finish of the pilot is lacking. Many gap tolerances are way off...for example gap on one side of tailgate is 1/4 inch and the other side is 1/8 inch. Interior panelling does not fit well and it wasn't even installed properly. Paint surfaces between the body and doors, hood, and tailgate...the areas you can't see when everything is closed...aren't as smooth or finished as the exterior is. In one area on mine it almost extends past the corner to the exterior.
FIX - none...just be sure to check over everything before you sign on the dotted line.

- NAV SCREEN : it's not glass. Not sure what it's made of but it scratches. I only have spiderweb scratches, but I'm sure if the included towel had some particles on it while I try to clean the surface it will leave some deep scratches. I plan to place a screen protector on mine. Plus is attracts fingerprints like crazy.
FIX - screen protector or ?

- APPS/WIDGETS : owner reporting not being able to load android apps via USB or download. Install button is grayed out.
FIX - ?

That's all I got for now. Hopefully some other can elaborate on the above or add in even more.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Agree on your issues

Yes the quality of fit on the tailgate section is very ugly. They left all the weld spots on and just painted over it. There's no smoothness at all. I will take a picture of this unsightly section.

I also have the same unlock and lock resetting on me.

We get the first model and have to deal with the first issues.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Pictures of the 2016 Honda Pilot Elite vs 2014 Toyota Rav4. The Pilot is the one in gray and the toyota in white. This is a picture of tailgate section. As you can see the Pilot needs some smoothing out and it look ugly compared to the Rav4.

It's a great car but for the price I do expect better finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Things like the remote start, unlock settings, and Navi screen all sound like softwarre issues, so hopefully they can be fixed quickly with a patch or update. I have found that my transmission has smoothed out a bit since getting it (1300 miles). I still notice the occusional gear hunting, but I don't have any major complaints. This could also be a software fix as well.

I wouldn't consider the lack of Carplay an issue. It's not like every other car on the market has it, but I do hope Honda can add this as an update as well.

As for apps and widgets, I haven't played with this too much, but it didn't seem like a very straightforward process to download them. I'm not even sure what can be downloaded.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Pictures of the 2016 Honda Pilot Elite vs 2014 Toyota Rav4. The Pilot is the one in gray and the toyota in white. This is a picture of tailgate section. As you can see the Pilot needs some smoothing out and it look ugly compared to the Rav4.

It's a great car but for the price I do expect better finish.
Honda does this to all its vehicles not just the pilots. Doesn't bother me. Not sure if it's a issue at all since it's not always expose or even noticeable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes the quality of fit on the tailgate section is very ugly. They left all the weld spots on and just painted over it. There's no smoothness at all. I will take a picture of this unsightly section.

I also have the same unlock and lock resetting on me.

We get the first model and have to deal with the first issues.

I had the lock/unlock occurring also until I found both places in the settings to set it. One is under door settings and the second may be under remote?? I have not had an issue since.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
[

- NAV SCREEN : it's not glass. Not sure what it's made of but it scratches. I only have spiderweb scratches, but I'm sure if the included towel had some particles on it while I try to clean the surface it will leave some deep scratches. I plan to place a screen protector on mine. Plus is attracts fingerprints like crazy.
FIX - screen protector or ?

- APPS/WIDGETS : owner reporting not being able to load android apps via USB or download. Install button is grayed out.
FIX - ?

That's all I got for now. Hopefully some other can elaborate on the above or add in even more.[/QUOTE]

The problem with smudges is due to the slanted design of the screen to fit the contour of the dashboard and consequently this is a bad design. My BMW has the screen recessed and it is oriented in the verticle direction. The sky cannot reflect off the glass and you can't see the smudges
I'm thinking of crafting a hood to shade the screen from the reflections.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've owned many a tablet and phone with touch screens and have never experienced as many smudges/fingerprints with any of them. I'm not sure what Honda was thinking when they decided on what material to use for the screen...actually they probably weren't thinking. Also, in order to be a capacitive screen it should be glass, so I'm inclined to think it's glass, but not the hardened gorilla glass that's used on the majority of idevices today.
I bought a photodon screen protector for it and all is well now.

I hoping to find a glass type screen protector for it down the road. They make them for tablets and phones now and they really feel like glass...nice and smooth. Even the native Pilot screen isn't very smooth.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks saejin! I received my photodon screen protector today. Did not install it yet. Ordered the same one you have. Hey now have a 2016 Honda Pilot listed as an option.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no problem. take your time installing it and I recommend doing it either when it's sunny outside or well lit inside the cabin. this way you can see all the dust particles floating around and try to time it just right when you place the screen on. I found one dust speckle on my install...you don't notice it when the screen is on though which is good.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't forget - CRUISE CONTROL - Does not hold a stable speed and can vary by +- 3 MPH which is very annoying to the driver and to other drivers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Major issues with 16 Pilot Touring

2 weeks ago the whole nav screen went black....car ran but couldn't use any controls on nav screen....dealer "rebooted" software....seems to work fine...

heated seats barely work...dealer looking into

yesterday car wouldn't start...tow truck had to dolly Pilot onto flatbed....couldn't even shift into neutral or depress brake to move car...dealer sent tech to my house! they were baffled....dealer currently looking into problems...

should not have bought the first year of a new model...should have waited...

so annoyed.....anyone else have problems

our 16 Pilot Touring has 2200 miles on it...

ARGH....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^There's another post where an owner had a similar issue where he couldn't shift into neutral. It was predicated by his dash flashing like a christmas tree, etc. Ended being a misfire in one of the cylinders...dealer fixed it and he hasn't posted any issues since.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have not used Auto Start on my EX yet as the weather here is not that hot to use it, but will definitely use it during winter. The process to use it is a bit complicated, had trouble trying it right at the dealer when the sales agent could not get it to start and after 5 to 6 trials finally it worked. Hope it was an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Since we have a 11-month old, we always start the Pilot remotely so that it is nice and cool before getting in. We have made about a dozen or so trips and the remote start has worked for me every time. I hit the lock button and hold the start button for about three seconds and let it go.

I also have my unlock mode set to unlock all doors and it has always worked.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My auto start works as designed too. Just hit the lock button and then hold the start button for a few seconds.

The unlock mode works for all doors too. It's the auto lock/unlock options that don't save. I want the Pilot to lock all doors when I put it in gear and unlock them when I put it in park. It holds for few times, but then resets to the default which is lock at speed and unlock when the driver door opens.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
My lock/unlock behaves exactly the same way as saejin's and I also have a Touring awd. There is a different part number for the infotainment head unit on the elite, presumably because it has HD radio, and I would be interested to know if any Elite owners are having the same issue.

For that matter, if there are any Touring owners with different experiences, please chime in. But please specify trim level.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine is an Elite...same lock/unlock issue as saejin & Wanderer. It's extremely irritating/disappointing on a brand new car that I'm otherwise very happy with! I see no reason why this shouldn't work. Clearly, this is a software issue & hopefully, will be addressed quickly. I have not made a special trip to the dealer for this yet, but I will mention this, the cracking sound I am also getting intermittently with the audio, and a couple of other things when I get the ATF cooler installed, hopefully, in the near future. I have a hard time subscribing to the 'it's a new model year bug' thing. Personally, I think that is BS. I understand that occasionally things happen, but this is not 1980. I think it's just extremely poor quality control. I have purchased many a new design (other brand) model year vehicles in recent years that have a lot of electronics & have never experienced so many glitches.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 628 Posts