Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the front and rear aftermarket Rexing dash-cameras (just the cameras -- I left the wiring!) out of my previous car, a 2014 Mazda CX-5, to have installed in my new 2018 Pilot. Our local Car Toys installed the entire system in my Mazda in about an hour and 15 minutes (about $120 in charges). I can't imagine that the Pilot is so vastly different, but when I asked them about installing the same system in my Pilot, they said it could be in the $300 range. I don't know if they're just covering their butts (quite possible) but I explained to them that they had just done the same job in my previous car for about $120. The guy actually said they probably under-charged me, but that's not the case, because I waited for the car in their shop and it was absolutely done in about 75 minutes -- so there was no under-charging going on. Having heard that possible "excuse" from the guy, I'm hesitant to have them do the job again after they've told me it could be in the $300 range (and I get that that's possible, but then again, how different can the two cars be?).

Does anyone have any experience with having a similar system put in their Pilot, how long it took, and the approximate cost for installation? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi there.

I installed the blackvue dr900 2ch (front and rear cameras including hard wiring to my pilot in one hour. Car shops wanted 200 dollars, so I did it myself. Blackvue is a high end dash cam company and it's really simple to install. Your car wanted 300 for rexing? I had a rexing and it's much easier compared to blackvue. I got rid of rexing because it didnt provide for my needs. In the end they are overcharging you for the installation, when it's simple plug and play.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can do the installation yourself, just hide the wires under the panels. Only time you may need help is if you want to hardwired it to the fuse panel.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I appreciate the input, guys. I'm no electrician or mechanic, but I'm fairly handy and have never shied away from simpler automotive and motorcycle work. I guess there's a fear of me tearing-out a headliner, or something along the wiring pathway from front to back, and screwing up my new car! Might have to look into some Pilot-specific instructions if I can find 'em. I have no problem paying an experienced installer for this job, done efficiently anbd properly, but yeah, telling them I'm willing to bend over for up to $300 just ain't in my DNA....

Edit -- just found this thread on this forum... may be doable after all -- at least the wiring and camera install part. Electrical still gives me the willies!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do the wiring under the weather strip along the doors and have someone do the fuse panel connection if you want it to work all the time.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
I installed my VIOFO A119 dash cam myself. Took about 30 minutes and very easy to do. Placed the wire under the front of the headliner by just pushing it in. Ran it down the driver's side pillar by again just pushing it into it and down into the fuse box area by the driver's foot area. Connected a power adapter to supply the proper voltage and used a "add a circuit" with a 5 amp fuse to protect the camera. I connected to fuse #28 which was empty. I grounded it to a bolt by the brake pedal near the firewall. Got a lot of good information from this post.

Some people had wired to different sources and the camera would shut off when the automatic idle stop feature kicked in. No problems like that on my 2019 Touring being connected where it is.

2017 Pilot Front & Rear Dashcam / Dash cam install (AWD Touring)

Sorry, just saw that you had found the post I linked to and got the information you needed.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I installed Thinkware F800 pro and install was very easy using add a fuse connectors connected to the interior fuse box. Only thing I can’t figure out is why the parking mode won’t work!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I installed Thinkware F800 pro and install was very easy using add a fuse connectors connected to the interior fuse box. Only thing I can’t figure out is why the parking mode won’t work!
I installed a Blacksys ch-200. I had to find the right fuse that supplied power when the engine was shutoff. Took me a couple of tries. Also, I had to specifically set up the unit to use parking mode.

@EssEll - Like several others here, I did an install myself this was my first dashcam install. It took about two hours. It's not really technical, it's just time intensive. I removed the plastic cover behind the rear view mirror and routed the wires through that box, along the top, and down the A pillar to the fuse box and across the top to the rear. I also pushed the rear cable through the tailgate conduit so that the rear camera actually sits on the lift gate, not the roof. Had to remove the lift gate panel, but that was extremely easy and can be done with a hanger. There's youtube video where someone shows how to do this.

·
Registered
732 Posts
You should reconsider your ground. It should be as short as possible. There’s a perfect bolt right under the map lights behind the sunglasses holder.

My add a fuse is connected to my power adapter right at the fuse box. The ground is only about 6 inches away if even that far. Nothing to ground from my dash-cam mount which receives power and has no separate ground wire.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I connected power to the camera to the rear view mirror power wire. This way camera starts and stops with the ignition. And I din't have run any wires other than a short one from the mirror to camera.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You all rock! Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement.... I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I installed a Blacksys ch-200. I had to find the right fuse that supplied power when the engine was shutoff. Took me a couple of tries. Also, I had to specifically set up the unit to use parking mode.

Yea i messed with a bit and changed the fuse location for the parking mode a few time and still not having any luck. I have everything turned on using the app and i actually had it record something once... while the car was moving! not sure what happened there but I switched the location again and it stopped. Gonna work on it some more when I get time. It probably my fault because It doesnt work on my wifes car either. I have it turned on but advent switched any of the fuse locations yet.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Yea i messed with a bit and changed the fuse location for the parking mode a few time and still not having any luck. I have everything turned on using the app and i actually had it record something once... while the car was moving! not sure what happened there but I switched the location again and it stopped. Gonna work on it some more when I get time. It probably my fault because It doesnt work on my wifes car either. I have it turned on but advent switched any of the fuse locations yet.
I'll try and see what I have set up. As an FYI, mine has a low voltage cutoff. What I found is that after a few days, the Parking Mode drained the battery to the point where it often shuts off literally seconds after it switches on. I know this because the Blacksys CH-200 tells you when it switches to parking mode and it tells you when it shuts down, "Terminating the system...." I can also turn on LED light which is on in Parking Mode.

The only time I've gotten good use of parking mode is if I've been driving the car for a long time and there is no activity causing it to be running constantly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should buy " Rexing V1P 2.4" (Search on Amazon), its no hardwire required dual camera system.
All you need to do is plug in, and stick on window, then hide the cable (you could see the youtube).

I personal using just the front cam only. Before I was thinking to get this one I recommend because of easy installation, then I figure why would I really need the rear cam?? The reason I install the dash cam is because I just walked out of a terrible car accident and total my car. I m lucky there is camera on the street to prove the other party ran the red light, and I caught it in the middle. Otherwise, the case could go both way.

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
127 Posts
It looks like I'm using Fuse 28 and Fuse 14 for in my 2017 AWD Touring. 28 is the "Option" fuse and 14 is the Fuel Lid. I'm not sure which one I'm using for Accessory power and which one I'm using for when the car is off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should buy " Rexing V1P 2.4" (Search on Amazon), its no hardwire required dual camera system.
All you need to do is plug in, and stick on window, then hide the cable (you could see the youtube). I personal using just the front cam only. Before I was thinking to get this one I recommend because of easy installation, then I figure why would I really need the rear cam?? The reason I install the dash cam is because I just walked out of a terrible car accident and total my car. I m lucky there is camera on the street to prove the other party ran the red light, and I caught it in the middle. Otherwise, the case could go both way. Hope it helps!
Hide what cable??? You're confusing me -- "no hardwiring needed?" And I don't want any kind of battery power, and hardwiring is far prrefred by me so it's tied to the car's ignition system. If the car's on, the camera's on. Anyway I already have a camera system that I really like, so I won't be buying anything new -- and by the way, I'd think one is far more likely to need video evidence of a collision behind him as in front. Or at least about equal. Plenty happens behind us, for sure! Anyway, drive safe....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, (I posted this on some other thread here, somewhere!) -- I managed to run the rear-cam wire pretty darn easily from the front cam all the way back, tucking it into the top seam in the ceiling molding, just using my fingers for 90% of it. When I got to the back, I had about four feet of USB cable left, and wondered what the heck to do with it, but you can tuck it all in to the plastic ceiling molding that goes across the very back of the interior roof. There's space in there (obove (under) the molding, for 2-3 back-and-forth relays of extra USB cable before leaving just enough out to connect to your rear cam, which I put on a little self-made bracket that clips to the rear of that same piece of molding, just begind the ceiling light. I still need to run the power cable from my front cam to the fusebox but I'm thinking that'll be easier than I originally thought too. I'll just need a professional to do the power-connection and fusebox stuff. I don't want to burn my car up...

·
Registered
618 Posts
It looks like I'm using Fuse 28 and Fuse 14 for in my 2017 AWD Touring. 28 is the "Option" fuse and 14 is the Fuel Lid. I'm not sure which one I'm using for Accessory power and which one I'm using for when the car is off.
I’m going to check what I’m tapped into and switch to the ones you are using see if I can get my parking mode to work! thanks for the info. Next will be trying to figure out why my wifes doesnt work!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts