Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a backup camera recommendation for a 2007? I've got no real automotive skills and no experience with backup cameras. However, love of my life likes the one in her friend's car so maybe I'll surprise her. Thanks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
There are several options:
1. Replace factory head unit with something that has a screen. Then pretty much any aftermarket camera can be added. Wiring can be a doozy for those without the know-how.
2. Get a set like this https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Wire...rference-Waterproof/dp/B00J863EI2/ref=sr_1_10 You replace rearview mirror with one that got a screen built-in. Camera is wireless so wiring would be easier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looking for the wife approved certificate? Check out what I just posted today (3/3/20) on this thread Installing Backup Camera I used the SUNNEST Car Rear View Reversing Backup Camera purchased from Amazon. It's $18. The colors are a bit off and the 170 degree wide angle distorts the image. However, I wanted to have that wide view and the color distortion doesn't affect what the camera is supposed to do. There were a couple of issues I had with the camera. First there is some thick 'splitter' in the cable (see screenshot below) which requires you to drill a somewhat large hole. The yellow and red connectors are also somewhat large which again requires a large hole. Somebody said they opened the camera unsoldered the cable, routed it and then soldered it back on. I opened the camera but decided against this approach not just for possible messing something up (though I did solder before) but if I want to pull it out I have the unsolder it again. Also the video cable that came with the camera was about 3 feet short so I had to buy an extension. You will need a coupler if you the extension is male to male.

The biggest hassle was routing the cable. Lot's of panels to remove. Using a snake probably helps but you can only snake it so far. Somewhere in the middle you have to remove panels and some panels need to be removed before others which could cause a 'chain reaction'. There are two options to avoid this. One is using something completely different, i.e. a backup camera that comes with a separate screen that connects wirelessly to the backup camera. That's probably by far the easiest solution but you have this extra camera you need to place somewhere and all it does is having a backup camera. The other solution to avoid the cable routing is using something like the GOQOTOMO E-600. It seems people have issues with many of those wireless solutions but this QOQOTOMO has some reasonably good reviews. So if you go this route you will install a new screen in the center stack. In our Pilot 2005 we had a GPS. You can install the new unit where the radio is (and have the GPS dead). I didn't want this because the radio was placed too low. So I replaced the GPS unit (with the radio now being dead). Ergonomically this is much better. You will have to make sure you get the right brackets and you will also have to take care of all the wiring stuff. It's not terrible but if you buy a unit from Crutchfield I highly recommend spending the $25 for them to provide the wire harness. It's not quite plug and play because there are still 3 additional cables you need to splice into your car but it still saves you plenty of time. At the end you end up with a pretty cool setup but its some work... Oh, btw, get the wireless setup (not the mirroring). It's pretty cool but costs a pretty penny. These (Android) wireless units are still quite expensive (starting at high $400).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts