Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
My RWD only Truck, w/ limited slip rear Diff.- probably would have driven right up that little hill in a heartbeat? I wasn't there though, don't know for sure.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My RWD only Truck, w/ limited slip rear Diff.- probably would have driven right up that little hill in a heartbeat? I wasn't there though, don't know for sure.
IME switching to more aggressive tires would have made a difference in that slight slope. Slippery off-camber on wet surface definitely challenged that Pilot.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
I'm fairly certain basically any vehicle with enough momentum in the beginning would have been able to make it up that hill. Not doubting that VTM-4 is very capable but this seems like any car could have made that if they didn't stop.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I'm fairly certain basically any vehicle with enough momentum in the beginning would have been able to make it up that hill. Not doubting that VTM-4 is very capable but this seems like any car could have made that if they didn't stop.
The diagonal test isn't known to challenge vehicles with momentum, but it's a great and easily repeatable test on a variety of vehicles to determine if their electronic and mechanical systems work together well enough to figure out a challenging slow speed/stopped situation. Some channels do it on every vehicle they test, one in Canada uses an asphalt loading dock and it's amazing how many vehicles on such a high grip surface can't do it.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
The diagonal test isn't known to challenge vehicles with momentum, but it's a great and easily repeatable test on a variety of vehicles to determine if their electronic and mechanical systems work together well enough to figure out a challenging slow speed/stopped situation. Some channels do it on every vehicle they test, one in Canada uses an asphalt loading dock and it's amazing how many vehicles on such a high grip surface can't do it.
That makes sense. I think you can make it up/over a lot of stuff if you have enough momentum, but starting from a stop is what makes things difficult.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts

Disagree with what the above purports to show. I've found that the best recipe is VTM-4 on, but VSA off. The guy barely grazed the gas pedal when he tried that combo. Not a fair effort.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think you can make it up/over a lot of stuff if you have enough momentum, but starting from a stop is what makes things difficult.
On the roads covered with snow that approach with momentum usually works but when traversing off-road challenges that big momentum maneuver can lead to damage from impacts or broken suspension parts. This video was not the best way to showcase VTM but there are more out there.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I'd like to see a test that simulates negotiating the mound of snow left by the town plow at the end of my driveway.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I'd like to see a test that simulates negotiating the mound of snow left by the town plow at the end of my driveway.
We can call it the "Bumper Ripper-Offer Test"

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
@plplplpl ...this guy rocks Pilot up north!

Kinda sondes like he's from Ontehrio, eh?

What troubles me more is the sound of chirping from his engine. That wasn't birdies in the woods.

Motomaster tires, really? Don't quit your day job, fella.

We can call it the "Bumper Ripper-Offer Test"
Works for me. Bumper's usually good, but I've had to replace this fender liner that got torn off.

I got this one after an unfortunate ice-hard snow incident a couple of winters ago. Not an OEM fit, but not an OEM price, either. I guess it depends on your tolerances, either way. I'm OK with it. It fit fine, but there's a 1-inch edge that sticks out about a 16th of an inch. Keep forgetting to file it down, so I guess it doesn't bother my OCD too much. No one else has noticed. YMMV.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Love those guys. They're living the Pilot family life.

A couple of observations:
  • You know your wife loves you when she's happy to stand outside in the mud while you drive by and spray her.
  • I recognized these hearty souls from another video where the husband gets stuck, his strap & winch plan fails, and he has to call his daddy to come pull him out with an actual truck.
Still, happy family time in a Pilot is a top entry in life's rich pageant.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Love those guys. They're living the Pilot family life.

A couple of observations:
  • You know your wife loves you when she's happy to stand outside in the mud while you drive by and spray her.
  • I recognized these hearty souls from another video where the husband gets stuck, his strap & winch plan fails, and he has to call his daddy to come pull him out with an actual truck.
Still, happy family time in a Pilot is a top entry in life's rich pageant.
LOL you live and learn. My Dad's heavy truck started sinking way before my Pilot did and nearly got stuck trying to get in position to pull us out. Luckily I had 60' of straps at the time. Recovery gear is important for anyone looking to explore by themselves. If I got stuck in that same position right now I would be able to choose between my winch, traction boards, shovel, or all of the above. I would have been out in no time flat and having a blast while doing it!

Everyone at Uwharrie National Park that saw me tackling jeep trails rated moderate to difficult in the rain on clay was impressed with the VTM-4 system. You could immediately tell who had a locker that trip and it was obvious to everyone around that I did. VTM-4 has its limitations, but it is a very good AWD system!

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
This video shows vtm-4 vs the rav 4 awd system.

While a Rav4 V6 is IMO an absolute rocketship and sleeper Toyota has traditionally had the most basic type of AWD systems and their vehicles are good for gravel roads and snow. I think the new Highlander actually has more sophistication but it's still not VTM-4 or iVTM-4.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,296 Posts
LOL you live and learn. My Dad's heavy truck started sinking way before my Pilot did and nearly got stuck trying to get in position to pull us out. Luckily I had 60' of straps at the time. Recovery gear is important for anyone looking to explore by themselves. If I got stuck in that same position right now I would be able to choose between my winch, traction boards, shovel, or all of the above. I would have been out in no time flat and having a blast while doing it!

Everyone at Uwharrie National Park that saw me tackling jeep trails rated moderate to difficult in the rain on clay was impressed with the VTM-4 system. You could immediately tell who had a locker that trip and it was obvious to everyone around that I did. VTM-4 has its limitations, but it is a very good AWD system!

Just curious, if the Pilot VTM-4 is that good, HOW DID YOU GET STUCK???? 😂

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Just curious, if the Pilot VTM-4 is that good, HOW DID YOU GET STUCK???? 😂
HPO will have his own answer but on the video he reached the mud-ability of his tires and ground clearance due to the muddy slop.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
If it's anything like in snow, it's almost always because of bottoming out. If your tires can maintain contact, the Pilot's VTM-4 will get you out. Just don't forget to disable VSA in those situations.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts