Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership in California told me that there were no modifications done on the Pilots on their lot because the Pilots are already ULEV compliant. During my visit at the Las Vegas dealership the mechanic mentioned if I bought the vehicle in California pointing out the ULEV imprint on the engine case. Now it makes me wonder if there might have been some modifications. Just curious........

Anybody knows?

Here is a pix of the ULEV print on the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
My understanding is the specs are the same, just CA has its own names for the different emission levels.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess my only concern/question is, if there was any modification, did I lose some power?

:3:

·
Registered
138 Posts
If there is HP loss for ULEV certified, I think Honda already mention it on their brochure or listed on the spec....

ULEV is just a requirement in CA for low emission. As we know, 03 Pilot is LEV/ULEV certified. That's mean honda engineer has tested the car and it's certified by EPA. :4:

·
Registered
919 Posts
vegasdude said:
I guess my only concern/question is, if there was any modification, did I lose some power?

Probably. It's just like paints, pesticides, and many chemicals. If it can be sold in California, it's not good enough for me. In fact, I usually prefer chemicals that have a fairly long list of states that they can't ship it to. If prolonged use causes cancer, I consider that a bonus as well.

Chris
:22:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Now I wonder

From what I can find.
LEV, ULEV, and SULEV are all CARB (CA Air Resources Board) ratings that have been adopted by the EPA.
Why the same car meets different ratings when sold in different markets is not clear.
It might be a slight difference in tuning, or even just differences in the thresholds for turning on the CEL.
Heck, it could just be warenty levels and data tracking.
I am going to look at the service manuals tonight and see if I can gleen and insights.

·
Registered
797 Posts
148HP Accord

My 1999 Accord that I bought in Maryland came with a ULEV engine (same as California). Honda rates the ULEV at 148HP and the LEV engine that everyone else gets as 150HP. Wonder if they did the same for the Pilot? Really miss those 2HP on my Accord.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found the Emissions Rating from the Honda Website.

ULEV in CARB States, LEV all others. Not exactly sure what "CARB" States are. Did not mention anything about horsepower though, well at least I am doing my part in making the environment a little better with my ULEV Pilot.......:2:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
CARB

California Air Resourses Board.
One of the many govermental bodies in the PRC (People Republic of California).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mass has the same LEV standart as Califronia, non LEV new vehicles
can not be registered here.
How to identify a LEV
The law requires a Vehicle Emission Control Information Label under the hood stating "this vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA and state of California regulations" or "this vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA regulations and is certified for sale in California." Also, the Certificate of Origin will state the following: "Certified for sale in Massachusetts, California and New York," or "Certified for sale in 50 states."
Can somebody please check under the hood -- I am buying my
Pilot from NH, which is not a LEV state. I wonder if I need to be
concern: are there any Pilots that are not LEV compliant.
I don't think that's the case: usually, the cars sold in MA (and CA)
are about $500 more due to the emission add-on, but Pilot
in MA costs the same as in NH. Still, can somone please check
what does it say under the hood. :confused:

Thanks,

K

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kruzo, just to save you a lot of grief check with your DMV regarding ULEV/LEV registration. I purchased mine in Cali and it does have ULEV on it. I am not sure about the rest if they have LEV stamped on the engine.
I guess with the $500 extra cost on the ULEV, I will get better resale value! LOL! :2:

·
Registered
262 Posts
The point is, the way I understand this link below, ULEV is NOT
required by at least Mass (not sure about CA). LEV however is.

http://www.state.ma.us/dep/consumer/lev.htm

I am not sure why they make MA and CA cars ULEV since LEV
is all that's required by law -- maybe to score some points with
the state, or what not. Mystery to me so far. Also, not clear
why they are not charging for ULEV add on -- as I said, traditionally
the cars in MA are about $500 more.

As far as I can understand, ALL PILOTS are LEV, so it should not
matter where yougot them -- they should comly with MA, CA and
NY laws. If anyone can figure out something about ULEV -- please
post.

I will be sure to call my dealer, just in case, today.

vegasdude said:
Kruzo, just to save you a lot of grief check with your DMV regarding ULEV/LEV registration. I purchased mine in Cali and it does have ULEV on it. I am not sure about the rest if they have LEV stamped on the engine.
I guess with the $500 extra cost on the ULEV, I will get better resale value! LOL! :2:

·
Registered
138 Posts
LEV/ULEV

This is not a dealer addon option.

True for honda, but not sure for other manufacturer such as ford, chevy...

Most honda cars is mostly LEV certified. There is also some ULEV certified car.

Why ULEV/LEV certification? An environmental safety regulation.
Make sure your car will not emit tons of dangerous/harmful partical to the ozone.

Basically, ULEV certified car is also LEV certified. Why? This is because ULEV have a higher standard from LEV. ULEV is only required in CA so far because of the higher requirement (minimize smog).

If Honda certified Pilot as a ULEV/LEV car, that mean all Pilot is ULEV certified. Honda will not just manufacturer a ULEV certified car for just CA. All Pilot came our from the assembly is ULEV certified already.

Personally, I never heard about $500 addon for ULEV certified car in either NH or MA.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
LEV/ULEV

The manual shows a different emision lable for these two levels.
Other than that I can find no information calling out any differences.
My guess it is just a software difference. Might not even affect operation, just when the check engine light comes on.
(or maybe something stupid, like additional warenty $$ in the budget just in case it has an issue sometime duing its life.)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am wondering if there is any real modifications on ULEVs. It might just be a more expensive certification that's why it is not done on all Pilot vehicles. Or the extra letter "U" is an added cost also.....LOL! :2:

I am very curious as to what exactly is added or changed when a Pilot is ULEV certified. Per my salesman today, he said, on all 50 states, dealers could do trade-ins with any Pilot all over the United States because they all meet emission standards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
FYI - all MDXs are ULEV. Honda/Acura deisgned their specs to meet the highest emission standard (California) and then produced all the vehicles at the same higher standard. Aren't most states striving for higher emission standards anyway? Honda/Acura also uses this as a marketing tool, good way to justify that suv purchase for the tree huggers out there :D .

·
Registered
347 Posts
vegasdude said:
I am wondering if there is any real modifications on ULEVs. It might just be a more expensive certification that's why it is not done on all Pilot vehicles. Or the extra letter "U" is an added cost also.....LOL! :2:

I am very curious as to what exactly is added or changed when a Pilot is ULEV certified. Per my salesman today, he said, on all 50 states, dealers could do trade-ins with any Pilot all over the United States because they all meet emission standards.

U stands for Uncle Sam wanting his share coming out of our pockets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts