Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On paper they should be the same with 250 horse power but I found my current 2011 Touring responds quicker and goes faster than my previous 2009 EX model. Its strange consider the Touring is about 50 lbs heavier. I used to use D3 gear a lot with the EX when went up the hill but now I hardly use it. Any suggestion? I use the same Honda dealership to maintain both cars on a regular basic.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,840 Posts
Is the transmission the same on both models?

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: city of rain

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the 2009 EX brand new and I always thought its engine should be stronger especially going up hill or carrying more than 5 passengers. I bought the 2011 Touring when the EX was written off after a big accident from a lady who I admit kept the car in an excellent shape and almost brand new condition despite she already put 110,000 km on the odometer. So I don't know if she has changed anything but I doubt it.

When I said the Touring goes faster, I didn't mean the real speed, sorry for the confusion, I meant the acceleration which could actually push me back to my seat a little bit when I press hard on the gas pedal.

Would Honda put the MDX engine in it since the Touring is heavier and requires more punch but didn't tell us for being afraid to off set the sale of the higher end Acura? I know this theory is highly unlikely.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Ah yes, the But dyno!

Put them on a real dyno and get some #'s to back up your 'Butt' dyno.

Do they both have the same tranny? FWD vs. Honda's pseudo 4WD?

Reactions: city of rain

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
As my last post mentioned I don't know if the previous owner changed anything and the carfax history didn't show she had some big accidents beside some minor fender bender. Good point out if its 2 or 4 wheels drives, in Canada only 4WD drive available because of our weather I guess.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If anything ,the difference would be not due to trim but due to year. While drivetrain may be the same, 2009 was the first year of that generation. Honda may have tweaked a few things between 2009 and 2011 to optimise performance. Also, what about VCM? Any chance the 2011 has a VCM disabler installed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if my 2011 pilot has disabled the VCM and are you saying the VCM would affect the performance of the car? wouldn't all six cylinders kick in instantly when you press hard on the pedal?
I kind of go with your idea that newer model might have a little higher performance tuning than the earlier model.

·
Registered
301 Posts
look for the torque rating and at what RPM between the 09 and 11. Honda may have tuned the engine moving the curve down the rev range, that is what gives the but dyno the faster feeling. Torque gets you moving while HP keeps you moving. My both have 250 HP and XXX LbFT of torque but if the 09 gets max torque at 5500 RPM and the 11 gets it at 3500 RPM the 11 is going to feel faster.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well I googled for shits and giggles and the spec sheets I found say the engine is the same between 2009 and 11 and all models. PO may have done something to boost yours though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your time! I might found the answer for that few weeks ago but I'm not 100% sure. After I retired, my wife uses the car most of time and one day we stopped at the gas station for gas, she got out and went to the gas pump but instead of using the regular gas, she chose the 94 premium. I later asked her why and she said it was the car sale man told her at the dealership that the cars using the premium gas has better performance. May be thats the reason? I don't know.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It could be if the mdx requires premium to get its hp boost the ecm may adjust on the pilot if better fuel is run if they are similar programs. I know if you do the opposite the ecm will cut hp when poorer fuel is sensed.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Thanks all for your time! I might found the answer for that few weeks ago but I'm not 100% sure. After I retired, my wife uses the car most of time and one day we stopped at the gas station for gas, she got out and went to the gas pump but instead of using the regular gas, she chose the 94 premium. I later asked her why and she said it was the car sale man told her at the dealership that the cars using the premium gas has better performance. May be thats the reason? I don't know.
No. Your car does not have the compression ratio and your ECU will not adjust timing to the point where you can utilize the premium fuel.

I'm not sure why one feels faster, could be any number of things.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
There are so many things wrong with these statements. I didn't read back,
Are both of these Honda Pilots?

Before I begin expounding on why this is so not right, I'll just leave cinto's explanation here- pretty much sums it up.

No. Your car does not have the compression ratio and your ECU will not adjust timing to the point where you can utilize the premium fuel.

I'm not sure why one feels faster, could be any number of things.
Depending on many things like compression ratios, cam lift and timing, CFM flow, ECU tuning, etc.
An engine can and will run worse with higher than needed octane in many cases.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
There are so many things wrong with these statements. I didn't read back,
Are both of these Honda Pilots?

Before I begin expounding on why this is so not right, I'll just leave cinto's explanation here- pretty much sums it up.

Depending on many things like compression ratios, cam lift and timing, CFM flow, ECU tuning, etc.
An engine can and will run worse with higher than needed octane in many cases.
Concur! Some manufacturers are marketing engines that recommend premium for best performance but the ECU can pull back parameters to function on regular. Why buy something designed for premium and run it on regular? Just get something that runs on regular if you detest spending the extra money on premium fuel. I just don't understand people... oh I forgot about the ones who will run mid-grade because they just can't stomach paying full price for premium.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Concur! Some manufacturers are marketing engines that recommend premium for best performance but the ECU can pull back parameters to function on regular. Why buy something designed for premium and run it on regular? Just get something that runs on regular if you detest spending the extra money on premium fuel. I just don't understand people... oh I forgot about the ones who will run mid-grade because they just can't stomach paying full price for premium.
Concur x 2,

Kidna like the E-85 vehicles we also have here on the states?
ECU knows if it's E-85, or the other gas/ ethanol mixes.
Most everything around is 10% ethanol, in any grade of gas.

Unless, you're in a county that allows it, and you get the 'recreational' Ethanol free gas!
* Come to think of it, I'm riding my motorcycle ( Suzuki GSX-R1000) to a town after work that sells it! I usually always get the non ethanol premium when I'm there. Premium b/c that what my ECU and the flash I put in it calls for.
It puts out 180Hp at the crank, and it's about 395#'s

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Concur x 2,

Kidna like the E-85 vehicles we also have here on the states?
ECU knows if it's E-85, or the other gas/ ethanol mixes.
Most everything around is 10% ethanol, in any grade of gas.

Unless, you're in a county that allows it, and you get the 'recreational' Ethanol free gas!
* Come to think of it, I'm riding my motorcycle ( Suzuki GSX-R1000) to a town after work that sells it! I usually always get the non ethanol premium when I'm there. Premium b/c that what my ECU and the flash I put in it calls for.
It puts out 180Hp at the crank, and it's about 395#'s
I know of at least 1 E Free station about 40 minutes from me, 15 mins from my parents. When I remember I take my gas tanks when they are almost empty and fill them up there for my small equipment. I also like to use it on the '61 Impala, carbs just weren't made for ethanol.

Also, Gixxers are sweet but if I were to get a bike it would be a dual sport at most... I know myself and I know I don't need a 200 mph bike because I'll be doing 200 mph. And I personally thought the 'Busa was the most unique looking bike, not being a huge bike aficionado I could pick them out of a lineup real quick with their shape.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah I was hyperbolizing the maybe it would part. I know here all Supreme is ethanol free so I run that in all the mowers and my 79 GL1000. It runs better on regular but the no ethanol is better for all the parts of the bike so I do it. When traveling stateside I run reg and then flush it out with Supreme when back in Canuckistan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts