Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hooked up my a-frame camper for the first time. It seems to me that it is dropping too far, but this is my first time, so that's why I'm here asking the experts!

I have a Curt 45036 2" drop hitch, but can also be flipped over for a 1/2" rise. See the 2 attached pictures, and do you think I would be better of flipping over the ball? When just driving around the neighborhood, I scraped bottom multiple times on what seemed like very small dips.

20200522_201352.jpg

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
151 Posts
Looks too low, and likely to much tongue weight too. I'd definitely flip the hitch over and remount the ball from the opposite side, assuming you've got a big enough pipe wrench to remove the nut and retighten securely.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd probably flip that for rise. I prefer trailer to be more level when towing. What is your tongue weight and trailer weight on that? Just on the picture seems like a long distance also between ball and axle which would allow more weight (like a fulcrum) to be exerted to ball over bumps. Maybe consider a WDH when you get the numbers. Etrailer always a good source for details.

Did you have the tranny cooler installed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks too low, and likely to much tongue weight too. I'd definitely flip the hitch over and remount the ball from the opposite side, assuming you've got a big enough pipe wrench to remove the nut and retighten securely.
Thanks. I do have a big pipe wrench so I think I'll be able to get it. I haven't measured tongue weight yet. Camper itself is spec'd at 320 tongue weight. I haven't added much to that front storage, but there is some things in there. Maybe I can move some more of it to the back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd probably flip that for rise. I prefer trailer to be more level when towing. What is your tongue weight and trailer weight on that? Just on the picture seems like a long distance also between ball and axle which would allow more weight (like a fulcrum) to be exerted to ball over bumps. Maybe consider a WDH when you get the numbers. Etrailer always a good source for details.

Did you have the tranny cooler installed?
Thanks again for your help! I haven't measured it officially yet. Dry weight is 2165lbs, tongue weight 320. I think you're right that the axle seems far back, so lots of weight my be added to tongue weight. I haven't added much to the front storage, but there is some stuff there, maybe I can move some of it to the back. I didn't think the pilot looked like it was sagging too much, but you would say it is?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
151 Posts
Pilot isn't sagging much yet, but what happens when it is loaded with passengers and gear? I put airbags in the rear springs of my Toyota Sienna years ago when I had a pop-up, and it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
782 Posts
To me there is, loaded our unloaded. The hitch link is generally the first thing that hits/drags on the ground when going over any form of bump. Not sure you can flip that particular hitch as it has a bit of a deep set. You may need to get a new hitch with less drop.

While expensive, this is the hitch I ended up with. The one I picked up was the 2 1/2" size for my truck but this is the same thing for the 2" receiver.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Weigh-Safe/WS4-2.html

It is extremely adjustable and you would be hard pressed to not be able to use it for anything you can tow with your Pilot. Check around on eTrailer for various adjustable hitches, there are a number of different models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To me there is, loaded our unloaded. The hitch link is generally the first thing that hits/drags on the ground when going over any form of bump. Not sure you can flip that particular hitch as it has a bit of a deep set. You may need to get a new hitch with less drop.

While expensive, this is the hitch I ended up with. The one I picked up was the 2 1/2" size for my truck but this is the same thing for the 2" receiver.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Weigh-Safe/WS4-2.html

It is extremely adjustable and you would be hard pressed to not be able to use it for anything you can tow with your Pilot. Check around on eTrailer for various adjustable hitches, there are a number of different models.
Thanks. I do know the hitch is listed as being "reversible". 2" drop or 3/4" rose.

·
Administrator
15,346 Posts
Measure the distance to ground at the rear of the trailer bed, and the front of the trailer bed. Subtract one from other. Divide the result by two. The answer is the increase in hitch height you need. However, best done when Pilot and Trailer are loaded.

·
Registered
210 Posts
One thing I never researched. Does changing the height of the ball change the tongue weight (center of gravity/pivot point on trailer is moved?).

On the pictures and I had same with friends trailer. The bottom of trailer jack is lowest point. See if you have scratches or a bent part of that. We started to leave the flat plate on as it is tapered on sides and lets it slide easier when it hits on my steeper driveway apron. Curt Base Plate

Big pipe wrench. I had one bad experience and pretty sure it was torqued, at least it was big wrench good and tight. The nut unscrewed from the bottom of ball. Luckily I was going slow and pulling into a parking lot when the ball pulled out but stayed in trailer. Very confused for a minute. Fortunately it hit the draw bar first and only bounced up and pierced the plastic bumper cover on my Sequoia. It could have been much worse. They now all get loctite, torque wrench, and marked with paint/marker. You can go to auto parts store and use their large torque wrench quickly. None of my new ones have a roll pin or cotter pin as old ones did. Many try to figure out how to hold it in Vise to tighten. Trailer shop just puts it sideways into receiver and uses that.

"Curt recommends the use of 250 ft/lbs of torque when tightening the nuts of their hitch balls with a 1 inch diameter shank like the part # C40034 that you referenced. The general rule is for a 3/4" shank tighten to 150 ft/lbs For a 1" shank tighten to 250 ft/lbs, and for a 1-1/4 inch shank 450 ft/lbs"

In another thread there was also links to Timbren SES to assist with sag.

·
Registered
782 Posts
One thing I never researched. Does changing the height of the ball change the tongue weight (center of gravity/pivot point on trailer is moved?).
Simple answer, yes. That is why an adjustable ball hitch is nice. You can make sure that the trailer is level. You do not want it riding down putting too much weight on the hitch and you do now want it rear end down, pulling up on the rear of the vehicle. A level trailer makes for much easier towing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the trailer ball loosen and the trailer ( A-Liner Classic ) was bucking and rattling so I knew something was not right.
I then went to a Wal-Mart and bought a new ball 2"ball with a 2 1/2" shank and used the old nut and the new one to "Double Nut" the ball to the receiver and then paint mark the two nuts for a visual reference. Wal-Mart also sell a box end wrench 1 1/2 " / 1 1/8 to tighten the nuts. On the road again. Haven' had a problems since.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Weight distribution hitch

We had used a friends trailer that didn't have a WDH and sway control. We added the straight-line to it and it was a much better towing experience on highways and over bumps. He also upgraded to a better brake controller based on Etrailer recommendations over an old time delay version he had.
The biggest issue I see with a WDH is that most people either don't know they have to be properly adjusted, don't know how to properly adjust it, or just don't care. An improperly adjusted WDH can make towing performance decrease at the least and can put added stress on the towing vehicle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The biggest issue I see with a WDH is that most people either don't know they have to be properly adjusted, don't know how to properly adjust it, or just don't care. An improperly adjusted WDH can make towing performance decrease at the least and can put added stress on the towing vehicle.
All part of the learning experience. Luckily for him he has other helpful members on a good forum to help guide correctly, give advice and always places like Etrailer with videos and help so it's done correctly.

There was another member getting a bit upset that we kept telling him to check on tranny cooler because he said dealer did, until he ACTUALLY checked and they didn't.

My neighbor wanted to borrow my friends utility trailer. I asked what size ball is on his hitch. His reply was I don't think I have one, it doesn't come on the trailer?......yea trailer NOT available.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts