Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when I turned on my 2017 Pilot, a screen came up that I have never seen before. In the left corner, it had the letters "KA" and in the right corner, it said, "Start Diag." I am assuming this is a diagnostic screen, but I couldn't cancel out of it while I was driving. It would not switch to my rear camera when I reversed as well. It was like the screen was locked. When I tried to push buttons, it just made a loud beeping sound, but I couldn't actually push any of the menu buttons. When I turned the car off and then on again, it was not there. I am wondering if this is an early issue of some sort, or if somehow I touched a button sequence before turning on the car to get into this mode. It looks as though this specific screen has something to do with my microphone voice prompt options. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Here is a picture of the screen:

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,822 Posts
Looks like someone managed to hit the proper sequence on the head unit to enter the "Secret Menu" that allows for certain diagnostics to be run as well as making changes to other components. The most often use of the Secret Menu for owners is to re-aim the backup camera.

If it is not doing it now, I wouldn't worry about it. If it does it again you might want to call the dealer and see what they say. It shouldn't pop into the menu when you start the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
3,822 Posts
If it does pop up again, do not touch the head unit unless you know what you are doing. It can really suck if you make some change to some component and you don't know what change you made, therefore you won't know how to put it, what ever it was, back to the way it was before you changed it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it does pop up again, do not touch the head unit unless you know what you are doing. It can really suck if you make some change to some component and you don't know what change you made, therefore you won't know how to put it, what ever it was, back to the way it was before you changed it.
In case if the configurations are changed, is there a factory reset or default selection?

·
Super Moderator
3,822 Posts
In case if the configurations are changed, is there a factory reset or default selection?
I don't know. I have the PDF on how to enter the secret menu, and I have looked at it but I have made no changes with it. If it ain't broke I don't mess with it. Besides, mama didn't raise no stupid children, just ugly ones. :LOL:

If you do a search we had a thread on the secret menu a while back, year or so ago. There was a PDF for how to enter the secret menu. I believe there was also a PDF on what can be done in the secret menu, if you interested in it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,860 Posts
I'm not sure, but it says right there the VIN checked out, and it's asking for the PIN #.
It would seem to me, that w/o that, nothing is getting changed?

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
3,822 Posts
If anyone is interested here is the 3rd Gen "Secret Menu" PDF that tells you how to get into the menu as well as all of the systems that can be, changed or diagnosed.

DISCLAIMER: If you decide to play with this and you break it, you are on your own.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know. I have the PDF on how to enter the secret menu, and I have looked at it but I have made no changes with it. If it ain't broke I don't mess with it. Besides, mama didn't raise no stupid children, just ugly ones. :LOL:

If you do a search we had a thread on the secret menu a while back, year or so ago. There was a PDF for how to enter the secret menu. I believe there was also a PDF on what can be done in the secret menu, if you interested in it.
Thanks. I don't intend to change anything. However my fat fingers may unintentionally trigger the secret menu. It will be nice if factory settings can be restored in case something is messed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the insight! The menu hasn't reappeared so I am leaving well enough alone :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
If anyone is interested here is the 3rd Gen "Secret Menu" PDF that tells you how to get into the menu as well as all of the systems that can be, changed or diagnosed.

DISCLAIMER: If you decide to play with this and you break it, you are on your own.
Good to know. Thanks.
Is there any setting in that secret mode that auto-dims the radio screen? Sort of how your phone screen will dim after so many seconds of inactivity?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts