Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to remove the pillar panels and don't know if I can pull these retainer clips out. Do I need to disconnect the battery first?
I just slid the panel out of the clip to remove it.
20200322_170948.jpg

·
Registered
334 Posts
If the retainer clip in the pic doesn't have any wires attached or behind it I would say no for disconnecting the battery. However if the side air bags or the like are back there then yes for disconnect. If the pillar trim can slide off then there may be no need to remove the retainer clip.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the retainer clip in the pic doesn't have any wires attached or behind it I would say no for disconnecting the battery. However if the side air bags or the like are back there then yes for disconnect. If the pillar trim can slide off then there may be no need to remove the retainer clip.
It slid off, but I can't slide it back on
XD

·
Registered
304 Posts
First off, I strongly suggest getting a kit like this:
That tool with red handle is very handy for getting out those clips without destroying them.

Retaining clips like that slide into plastic 'pockets' on the trim piece. Ideally, when you pry off a piece of trim, it should come off with retainer clips attached to it. If a clip stayed in the body, it means that either:
The cap of the clip flexed and popped out of the trim pocket - which is fine. Pull the clip out (the tool in the linked kit works great) and slide it in place on the trim piece.
Or:
The plastic pocket on the trim piece broke off - which is bad. Sometimes part of the pocket is left, enough to hold the clip. Sometimes not, which often means the trim can no longer be re-attached properly.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off, I strongly suggest getting a kit like this:
That tool with red handle is very handy for getting out those clips without destroying them.

Retaining clips like that slide into plastic 'pockets' on the trim piece. Ideally, when you pry off a piece of trim, it should come off with retainer clips attached to it. If a clip stayed in the body, it means that either:
The cap of the clip flexed and popped out of the trim pocket - which is fine. Pull the clip out (the tool in the linked kit works great) and slide it in place on the trim piece.
Or:
The plastic pocket on the trim piece broke off - which is bad. Sometimes part of the pocket is left, enough to hold the clip. Sometimes not, which often means the trim can no longer be re-attached properly.
I managed to slide it out of the pocket on the panel. I have some panel removal tools, but not the metal one. Guess that's next on the shopping list. This specific clip is in a rubber grommet by the pillar airbag though. It's different from all the rest.

·
Banned
173 Posts
WHAT YOU NEED IS A LITTLE LUBRICANT.....(WD40).....AND THEN PRY THE PLASTIC RETAINER OUT.....INSTALL IT IN THE TRIM PANEL.....AND RE-INSTALL THE TRIM PANEL.....

AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.....

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
careful you might pull the whole side of the pilot apart ....wait this is the 1st gen not the 2nd gen ... never mind ..carry on! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts