Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pilot's the first ever Honda purchase for me let alone riding in one, so I'm not familiar with the nuances and subtleties of their cars at all, but I can swear I can hear a, albeit very fanit, pinging and knocking noise coming from the engine whenever I press on the accelerator.

I'm familiar with pinging and knocking noises since a couple of my buddy's cars had such problems with their cars before they bought new cars.

With all the other cars I've driven in the past, Nissan, Ford, and Pontiac which were P&K problem free, when you press on the accelerator, though the exact sounds may vary, I never heard anything that resembled the noises I hear with my Pilot. It is very faint but I can hear it.

Should I take it to have it looked at or I should say, listened to? A car this new which barely has 1800miles, and it being a Honda, at first I refused to believe it can be a P&K, but now, I'm not so sure, unless that's how Honda engines sound.

Any thoughts? TIA!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One thing I forgot to mention....

My salesperson told me that by filling up the Pilot with premium gas on every fourth fill up, he said that it would prolong the engine and maintain the engine even more trouble free than if I were to stick to just regular all the time.

So, I've been letting every third tank of gas get used up as much as possible and been filling it up with premium. I don't know whether that's contributing to the noise, but I thought I should mention that.

As well, the noise, as far as I can remember, has always been there, right from the beginning. It was something I noticed right away just because I've never heard that type of noise from any of the cars I've owned. The harder I press on the gas, the louder it gets. But even then, it's still on the faint and soft noise level.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think that is normal. My Pilot does not make that sound. I did have a Ford once that had the knocking sound - a good guess would have been that is was the fuel and that I needed premium. But it turned out to be some type of sensor or regulator ?? not sure what it was...but it was repaired and the sound went away.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Just a myth

A tank of premiun to clean things out (or any other 'reason') is just a myth.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's say there was something abnormal that caused the p&k noise and they adjusted some sensor or regulator and the sound went away.

But doesn't the presence of p&k noise indicate a carbon build up in the engine? If not, then so long as the service technicians pinpoint the problem and make the noise go away, then does that mean that the engine is as good as the engines that never experienced the noise?

I guess I'm being a bit anal or paranoid, but what I'm asking is, since there was p&k noise, doesn't that already signify a damaged good, even if they fix it and goes away? TIA.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Pinging

If it is pinging, it does not mean carbon.
It is long term and/or excessive pinging that causes problems.
A little once in a while is not an issue.
That said, a noise like that could be lots of things besides pinging.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Check the bracket! Tapping sound.

There are several threads with the same type of noise. I suspect you have the same problem. The bracket needs to be bent away about 1/4".

This is not related to fuel choice. It is a simple mechanical alignment of a bracket that contacts the firewall during acceleration.

As long as you use any modern high quality gasoline there is really no need to use a tank of premium, occaisionally or otherwise. The manual recommends higher octance fuel whem towing.

·
Registered
797 Posts
No pinging here. 1500 Miles all on regular unleaded.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: Just a myth

N_Jay said:
A tank of premiun to clean things out (or any other 'reason') is just a myth.
Actually many of the premium fuels do advertise a higher level of detergent to clean up the deposits.
I don't use premium myself though, I prefer the Techron cleaner added to a tank full every now and then, it is a really good fuel system detergent and is specifically recommended by some auto experts.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl/auto/content/fueladd.shtm

Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts