Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO ... I paid for my Pilot over the week-end and they are busy putting the accessories on her.

In the meantime, however, I was offered the following extras:

1. Extended Warranty (from 3 yrs/30,000 to 7 yrs/75,000);
2. Add-on alarm system;
3. Clearcoat and Interior protection.

My first reacton is that the extended warranty might be kind of nice but the Alarm and the Clearcoat are a rip-off.

What do you think?

Did anyone else purchase any of these?

TIA

·
Registered
919 Posts
1. Warranty - I never have on any vehicle and haven't had any regrets. Others swear by them and saved thousands. My take is, "I'll take my chances. This is why I bought a Honda."
2. If you live/work/park in high theft areas it might not be a bad idea. Even then you could probably do better in the aftermarket on your own.
3. Clearcoat/Interior protection - Never, I repeat NEVER. Read my lips, NEVER!

Could you tell where I have a strong opinion? :D

Chris

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is this a rip off?

Don't the EX models come with a factory alarm?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would say skip them all. New Hondas are relative theft resistant already, and I can't believe that dealers are still offering the paint protection, a complete rip-off. Honest dealers have long ago stopped offering the paint protection.

There was another topic in the forums on extended warranties. Some people get them, most don't. I'ts more of a peace of mind thing ranther than something you will probably use. Very few people ever use enough of the warranty to cover the cost of it. Now if you were buying a vehicle with a KNOWN history of problems, it would be a different story.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Copperpoppy,

You can purchase a Honda Care warranty anytime after purchase for just about dealer cost. There is a contact at Odyclub.com they all use I can fetch for you if you like. It's usually the same price throughout the model year and slightly higher after that. This gives you time to decide. If you plan on keeping the Pilot for a loong time, I recommend it. The VTM-4 system is veery expensive and has not been out on the MDX long enough to know it's long term success.

The interior/exterior protection and expanded alarm is pure profit for the dealer and I highly recommend you pass on these.

This all speaking from experience as a 20 year Honda brand owner.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Finance guy

We actually had a nice finance guy. He explained well and didn't pressure.

1. Extended warrantee. Got it. After spending about $3500 replacing the engine on my Camry, it gives me piece of mind. Also, you get free towing and rental cars, even during your bumper-to-bumper years.

2. Lo Jack. Got it. You can get it for about $100 less outside though. Learned that a little too late. Knowing Honda is a popular stolen brand, and being 30 miles from the border helped that decision.

3. Paint protection. Don't get from the dealer. I got mine from Tech Finish techformula.net. My brother got it on his 87 black Accord and never had to wax it. It was fine up until he sold it 7 years later. I suggest you do some research though, because this is a very debatable subject.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xyzzy said:
3. Clearcoat/Interior protection - Never, I repeat NEVER. Read my lips, NEVER! Could you tell where I have a strong opinion? :D
Strong Opinion? (laughing) I hadn't noticed.

Actually, I had already gotten my Scotchgard ready for when I bring baby home. I ALWAYS Scotchgard my new vehicles as soon as I get them and they look pristine. If I want a cup of coffee and I accidently spill some, I don't want to feel guilty about it - I just want it gone. A quick sponge and it disappears. Scotchgard does the trick quite nicely and for a LOT less than what they want to do the Clearcoat/Interior thing. They were saying something like $400.00 or so. Seemed a bit extreme.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Threadhead said:
There was another topic in the forums on extended warranties. Some people get them, most don't.
Yeah, I was reading another thread on here about the extended warranties. From what I gather I can get that later on in the year and from a dealer in Maryland. My dealer offered it to me for $1,200+ for 7/75,000. The dealer in Maryland is offering 7/100,000 for $1,000+ in one of those group buy things.

I think that would be the way to go IF there is some advice that would compel me to do so. I'm really on the fence with that one.

Straddling the fence and reading,
copperpoppy

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Finance guy

Ferdball said:
2. Lo Jack. Got it. You can get it for about $100 less outside though. Learned that a little too late. Knowing Honda is a popular stolen brand, and being 30 miles from the border helped that decision.
How much did you pay for LoJack, if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Lo Jack

Two sources say that the Lo Jack with the Lifetime warrantee is $699 retail. Most resellers out there discount it about $100. I paid the whole $699 from the dealer. Just go ahead and smack me.

·
Registered
919 Posts
<smacks ferdball> Hey, you asked for it!

Seriously, if the price was worth it to you and you didn't want the troubles of making other arrangements, then nobody should really fault you!

Chris

·
Registered
389 Posts
LoJack: I heard it might even lower your insurance rate.

RUMORS: I heard someting about some instrument that you can use in your vehicle that uses GPS ......... not sure if it is the NAV....... they can also help you locate your vehicle when stolen. Is this true?

FYI: 50 post later........ I am finally getting my SS PILOT EX-RES in 12 HOURS! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!

Patience is not my VIRTUE....... I could have save $200.......but I do NOT think I can wait 1 more week.

After I get my vehicle.......... I think I will post the DOs and DON'Ts of buying a Pilot.

·
Registered
289 Posts
There is a thread

for extended warranties. You can purchase from at least two people listed in that thread for just $40 over dealer cost. I believe the 7/100,000 $0 deductible is $1,075 plus $40. This is a HondaCare which, if you are going to buy a warranty, I would recommend. You can buy anytime before your Honda factory warranty expires. As you get more time and miles on your Pilot you do pay a small premium over current costs. There is also no guarantee Honda won't raise the price. I am going to wait for a year or two to see if I have any problems before I decide. Any extra cost for the warranty will, I believe, be off-set by my having that $1,100 for use during that time. Just my opinion:cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I heard that AAA has an extended warranty plan you can purchase up to the end of your factory warranty and it's cheaper than what the dealers offer.

I like this idea as I can decide not to get it if the car has been trouble free, but if it has had issues, I can purchase the AAA warranty just before the factory one runs out.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Lo Jack

Ferdball said:
Two sources say that the Lo Jack with the Lifetime warrantee is $699 retail. Most resellers out there discount it about $100. I paid the whole $699 from the dealer. Just go ahead and smack me.
Thanks for the info. I don't think that's a bad price.

I'm originally from the Detroit-area and have thought more than once about getting LoJack. Never did though.

When I bought my Accord there, I got a 5-speed. Not too many folks there know how to drive a stick, so even though it was a popular vehicle to steal, you still have to be able to drive it away. Plus, I used "The Club" as well.

NOTE: The lock on The Club is easy to break by taking a can of WD40 or condensed air and then putting the small tube into the lock and spraying it until the lock freezes. Then hitting the lock really hard with a hammer. It shatters the lock. The way to defeat that is to turn The Club around, so that the lock is facing the odometer.

Can you tell I used to live in a bad area...?

·
Registered
47 Posts
alarm?

When we picked up our car on Sunday, the dealer offered us an alarm installation for $393 as opposed to the $600 he usually charges.... We said we'd think about it. Any input here? :confused:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Before considering Lo Jack, take a look at networkcar, that is what I have on my Pilot. Go to http://www.networkcar.com/networkcar/pub/main
for details. Features include stolen vehicle recovery, roadside assistance, onboard technician, and car guardian.

·
Registered
47 Posts
wwong said:
Before considering Lo Jack, take a look at networkcar, that is what I have on my Pilot. .
I just checked...no Networkcar retailers in the NY area.....

·
Registered
330 Posts
wwong said:
Before considering Lo Jack, take a look at networkcar, that is what I have on my Pilot. Go to http://www.networkcar.com/networkcar/pub/main
for details. Features include stolen vehicle recovery, roadside assistance, onboard technician, and car guardian.
Looks pretty cool. About how much does it cost? There are several dealers nearby in San Jose.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Networkcar cost $1300 for five years. You also never have to take the car in for a smog test with the onboard technician. But what is way cool is being able to track the car at any time. If your kids borrow the car, you can track exactly where they are.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts