Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay you guys, this might be the stupidest question ever posed on this forum, or for that matter, the entire internet itself, so, when you read it, be kind, ok?

I was thinking of getting one of those clever little refrigerators that you can plug into your cigarette lighter for when I go camping, etc.

Now, having said that ... my thoughts turned to any potential problems of using the little refrigerator if I was camping. And I found one - I think. Would using the little refrigerator conceivably drain the battery?

SO ...

My question is ... can you add a second battery just for the auxillary 12volt items? If its possible, would I want to?

What are your thoughts...

:31:

·
Registered
411 Posts
The power outlets only work with the engine running, or the key turned to the accessory position. You would have to leave the key in the ignition for it to keep running (do you want to do that?)

I was a little upset when I discovered our CRV worked this way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i know i have seen sealed 12 volt battery systems that can be charged from your cig lighter for emergency jump starting etc. you could use one of those and recharge while you are using the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We have a small refridgerater in our trailer, works on 12v, propane or AC. The amps used are quite high. It warns only to use 12v when the trailer is connected to the car and the car is driving/on. When we have parked the trailer and left the fridge on 12v by mistake - we noticed the battery was drained substantially after only a couple of hours (the car had problems turning over to start).

You should check the amps required on the cooler you plan to buy, then compare that to the amp hours of the battery you plan to use. That will tell you how many hours it can be used before it needs to be recharged and you can see if that will work for you.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JungleJim said:
The power outlets only work with the engine running, or the key turned to the accessory position. You would have to leave the key in the ignition for it to keep running (do you want to do that?)

Oh man ... that's not good. So, when I shut the car off, all the auxillary stuff is off too?

Looks like I need to come up with a Plan B, eh?

What did you do for a work-around?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FSDO said:
i know i have seen sealed 12 volt battery systems that can be charged from your cig lighter for emergency jump starting etc. you could use one of those and recharge while you are using the car.
That sounds good. Forgive my lack of knowledge here but, if I were to call an AutoParts store how would I ask for this? Would I asked for a "sealed 12 volt battery?"

TIA :5:

·
Registered
30 Posts
The MDX also has no power to the outlets once you turn the car off. Some owners have gone to Tweeter (or similar store) and had the outlet in the center console wired for "always on". I believe someone paid approx $35 to get this done.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Plan B should include beverages that taste good at room temperature and LOTS of beef jerky! :D

Chris

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xyzzy said:
Plan B should include beverages that taste good at room temperature and LOTS of beef jerky! :D
:6: THAT was good. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
We've got one of the plug in hot/cold coolers (think it's a Coleman)and it works great. We often take long road trips to visit the in-laws :9::22: and the cooler works great. It's definitely not a refrigerator or a microwave but it works great to maintain teamperatures.

Personally I wouldn't want the power outlets on all the time......I'd be concerned about a dead battery. A "smart" outlet that shuts off if the battery gets low would be nice :D . Maybe someday.

You can always turn it on "accessory" for a while while camping to cool it off and then shut it off again.

Cheese :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheesehead said:
We've got one of the plug in hot/cold coolers (think it's a Coleman)and it works great. We often take long road trips to visit the in-laws :9::22: and the cooler works great. It's definitely not a refrigerator or a microwave but it works great to maintain teamperatures.
YEPPERS Cheese -- THAT's what I'm plannin' on getting and kind of how I am planning on using it, too. (Not planning to visit YOUR in-laws though.)

About four years ago I bought this 12 volt percolator for my car. (Accord) We were moving across country and I happen to like coffee. Well ... it turned out to be the best money I ever spent! I could have fresh perked coffee whenever I wanted it on the road. Talk about convenient!

So, now that I actually have some room, I want to get a little cooler/heater for the Pilot. I love to go camping and was thinking this might be kind of nifty if I could keep certain foods cool on those long camp-outs without having to dash down the mountain to get more ice for the cooler.

Doesn't look like this is going to be doable for anything long-term though. (sigh) Still gonna get the Coleman though. I'm sure I'll find SOME use for it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
289 Posts
TRY SAMS

Club. They have listed on their website a 5-way power supply. You can use the car's battery while driving for the thermo electric cooler then switch to the 5-way power supply when stopped. I think the power supply has a 12-v battery, a power inverter to change 12v to 110, a lantern, a jump-starter and something else. If I remember right it was less than $100. It should run your cooler for a couple of hours and then you can recharge it from the Pilot when driving.:D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Get a second battery

If you are going to do this alot, go to a good RV shop and have a second battery installed.
They will need to use a battey isolator to make sure everything works right.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
JungleJim said:

The power outlet inside the armrest near the cell phone cradle is the only one that works while the vehicle is off ..

PrG

·
Registered
236 Posts
Prg

Did you get the "special edition" Pilot?

My center console outlet does not work without the key in the accessory position.

Actually none of them do.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
All outlets are on the ACC line

All the power outlets are controlled by the ignition switch.
The front 2 are on one realy and fuse, and the back 2 are on a second relay and fuse.
Both relays are controlled by the ACC line from the ignition switch.
The best way to make these stay on would be to pull the relay and replace it with a short jumper.
The connections on the relay sockets will take stanadard blade type connectors.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Could I use all 4 power outlets at once? Making the drive to FLA during March break and I may be running all four outlets

1) Cell phone charger
2) Portable DVD player
3) FM modulator for the DVD to run it through the speakers (I'm assuming this needs its own power)
4) cooler for the drinks/snacks

·
Registered
45 Posts
You could carry this Portable Jump Starter with Air Compressor ...

This portable jump starter is ideal for jump starting car, truck, boat, RV and tractor. The Emergency auto battery booster pack features a peak boost power of 930 amps. Works with all standard 12 volt batteries. With built-in air compressor and hose connector.

• Provides power for utilities and appliances that usually plug into a vehicle or boat with 12V cigarette lighter socket.

• Provides up to 50 hours of portable 12V DC power for cellular phone, power tools, work light, radio, CD player, and more.
Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Run them all-120w total-Copper-get 12v jumper system-cheap

sski,sure you can run them all,just make sure you aren't much over(say 140w) the 120w total limit.
1)The cell phone will use very little power~1w
2)FM-mod-very little(our Roady takes 6w),since I am sure the actual power for the speakers to make sound would come from the cars wiring,like a Roady.
3)Portable DVD-Better look on the back-multiply the VxA=W(my sons Playstation2 takes 79w).-.It might take a fair amount like the Playstation.
4)Cooler-hmmm-check the back before buying.Some-most of the portable ones- of them don't have a compressor,so it isn't too bad-maybe as little as 40w.
This would be in the 120-130 range if the DVD uses a lot(79 like a Playstation),and if the cooler uses not much-40w.I bet the DVD uses less,but check.
Copperpoppy- at the autoparts store you want one of those those portable battery packs emergency jumpers air compressors etc(as mentioned below by fsdo).You dont want just a sealed auto battery,you want the little system.Walmart-Sams-Kmart all sell things like this for $40.They have a charger system built in,and a couple of 12v outlets built in(charger cables also,and sometimes an aircompressor to fill your tires-not bad idea since it costs .50 to use air at most stations).Make sure it isn't just an emergency jumper,and has a 12v outlet also.Luck,Charlie PS 100W ~1HR 24W 8HRS on these jumper systems

1 - 20 of 24 Posts