Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what the dealer is offering. It does come with the warranty from Honda and the dealer. It’s a certified Pre owned. I was thinking of trying to negotiate the price. It looks like the one owner hardly drove it anywhere.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Price seems a little on the high side, but any CPO vehicle will be higher than average. You do get the 1 yr bumper-to-bumper warranty included with the CPO, along with the extended powertrain warranty from Honda. Plus you can purchase a full-up Honda Care extension to 120K miles at time of purchase. Beware, unlike with new cars where you can buy a Honda Care plan on the open market you can't do that with a Honda CPO vehicle...the Honda Care extension is a one-shot deal at the time of purchase (from my understanding). I would definitely consider the Honda Care extension based on the decrease in Honda's reliability over their latest generation of vehicles.

Definitely try to negotiate the price. When I bought my CPO Pilot the dealer tried to throw in a "CPO certification fee" BS at the last minute, as if the price premium wasn't enough! As always when buying a car, always go in with a financing option pre-arranged, and always talk bottom line price, never answer "how much can you afford per month" questions to the dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Price seems a little on the high side, but any CPO vehicle will be higher than average. You do get the 1 yr bumper-to-bumper warranty included with the CPO, along with the extended powertrain warranty from Honda. Plus you can purchase a full-up Honda Care extension to 120K miles at time of purchase. Beware, unlike with new cars where you can buy a Honda Care plan on the open market you can't do that with a Honda CPO vehicle...the Honda Care extension is a one-shot deal at the time of purchase (from my understanding). I would definitely consider the Honda Care extension based on the decrease in Honda's reliability over their latest generation of vehicles.

Definitely try to negotiate the price. When I bought my CPO Pilot the dealer tried to throw in a "CPO certification fee" BS at the last minute, as if the price premium wasn't enough! As always when buying a car, always go in with a financing option pre-arranged, and always talk bottom line price, never answer "how much can you afford per month" questions to the dealer.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. I was going to ask them to send me their lowest price but I guess I should just start at my lowest and negotiate from there. This is my first time purchasing a car from the dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
577 Posts
For used car pricing check cargurus.com

It'll compare pricing on cars and give you an idea of you're deal is great, good or decent.

You can send or print out the great deals in your area and use them as a negotiating tool.

Good luck

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
I was helping my son look at cars. Knee jerk reaction was to go used. But Used prices are crazy high right now. New might actually work out better financially but that depends on your personal situation

·
Registered
303 Posts
Probably close if the car was AWD, but it's not. $27k-ish is probably closer to realistic. Try for $29k out the door depending on dealer fees and taxes.

Btw, kbb.com disagrees, and thinks it's worth every bit of $30k, probably because of the mileage. If the carfax checks out, it may be worth trying.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably close if the car was AWD, but it's not. $27k-ish is probably closer to realistic. Try for $29k out the door depending on dealer fees and taxes.

Btw, kbb.com disagrees, and thinks it's worth every bit of $30k, probably because of the mileage. If the carfax checks out, it may be worth trying.
Yes, I checked the price of the car on KBB and true car and the websites all indicate that it’s a good deal.

The manager did not budge with the price. He said it’s the lowest he can go is the price it’s listed for.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, I checked the price of the car on KBB and true car and the websites all indicate that it’s a good deal.

The manager did not budge with the price. He said it’s the lowest he can go is the price it’s listed for.
It's still around $10k savings from a new one, and the mileage is very low. I'm guessing it's a lease return that wasn't driven much. Good luck with the purchase!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. I was going to ask them to send me their lowest price but I guess I should just start at my lowest and negotiate from there. This is my first time purchasing a car from the dealer.
The only problem with any dealer is that they will be charging you a lot of fees after the sale. So, 29K might be the initial price, but don't allow the to include other "services" that will increase the final amount to pay. 17K miles is still under original warranty, but usually they like to include service maintenance, road Hazzard and a lot other additional services that you probably won't need. My recommendation is to ask them not to include any additional service that you don't require, unless you want it. And check the contract before signing. The usual extra amount should be only the dealer fee and taxes for the car.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Does it ever rain (or snow) where you live?
Really? C'mon man! (said like Biden)

Rain, and moderate snow? Our FWD 08 handles it beautifully.
Rain? Really?
We bought out 08 SE FWD just south of Houston, neat Clear Lake. Virtually NOONE drives an AWD/4WD around there, unless they are going 'off roading'. Another fact- it rains- often really heavily around those parts too.

Reactions: ls973800

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Christmas Mom,
Sorry I missed what area you live in?
Unless it's in the country, DEEP UNPLOWED snow?
You'll be fine with your FWD, IMHO- and because I/we own one as well.

Yes, I also have a 4WD one- I live in the Midwest. Snow alot here.
It's usefull about 1-2% of the time. Otherwise, it's not really needed.

Reactions: ls973800
1 - 20 of 38 Posts