Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 2019 Pilot Elite AWD with just over 6k miles for $38,495. Clean title, no wrecks. Was a lease vehicle. It’s at a dealership with no haggle pricing. Price seems really good to me. Is it?

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
Found a 2019 Pilot Elite AWD with just over 6k miles for $38,495. Clean title, no wrecks. Was a lease vehicle. It’s at a dealership with no haggle pricing. Price seems really good to me. Is it?
Most leases are for 2 or 3 years. Why is it back at the dealership so soon? Ask for service history.
A 2019 model could have been made in the summer of 2018. This vehicle by summer time 2020 could technically be 2 years old. The tires will be 2 years old. I know it's only got 6,000 mile but age depreciation is a big factor than their price. Don't let the "no haggle" dealer keep you from haggling for more.
What kind of waranty are they offering? These new generation Pilots are not exactly trouble free. Especially a fully loaded one. Service on the 9 speed transmission is very expensive, $500.
They need to come off their price.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Research new prices in your area. You can probably get a new Touring trim for less than $39K, A new Elite for $41K-$43K. There are many reasons people terminate leases early but with the Infotainment issues being reported on 2019 Touring and Elites, I would be very suspicious that this vehicle has a Infotainment system problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most leases are for 2 or 3 years. Why is it back at the dealership so soon? Ask for service history.
A 2019 model could have been made in the summer of 2018. This vehicle by summer time 2020 could technically be 2 years old. The tires will be 2 years old. I know it's only got 6,000 mile but age depreciation is a big factor than their price. Don't let the "no haggle" dealer keep you from haggling for more.
What kind of waranty are they offering? These new generation Pilots are not exactly trouble free. Especially a fully loaded one. Service on the 9 speed transmission is very expensive, $500.
They need to come off their price.
great points! Seeing that someone only kept it a year, based on the Carfax, was concerning. I don’t see any strange things on the service history in the Carfax report.
mist at a Mercedes dealership and I’m unsure if there is any additional warranty other than the standard Honda warranty.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
What's the Carfax look like? My '19 Elite has been back to the dealer five times due to the infotainment problems and has not even reached the first oil change.

Reactions: Katrina1008

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Avoid the Elite and Touring. All that added tech leads to lots of problems.
I’ve been trying to decide on a new SUV for about 2 years. My biggest want and need are 3rd row accessibility (no bench, must be captains chairs in 2nd row) and tv entertainment for the back. I’ve had my current 4Runner for 10 years And it has TVs in the headrests for the kids. So I want that to continue for them bc we drive for travel often to see family.
touring and elite meet those requirements.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Nothing suspicious on it that I’ve seen. The previous owners seemed to have had 1 service on it.
Sometimes dealers play games with the Carfax, omitting service records and/or being overly vague. All the entries for my Pilot since I bought it just have a generic "vehicle serviced" description with zero specifics. Multiple parts were replaced, etc. There is no record of any of that on the Carfax. Maybe it's just me, but it seems they are trying to hide the existence of problem.

A previous vehicle I purchased with only 4K miles on it had a similarly vague entry on the Carfax. I decided to investigate and it turned out that in this case "vehicle serviced" meant that the dealer bodyshop did metal repair and repainted the entire driver side of the car. At first, I feared it had been in an accident but I found out that the car had simply been keyed in a parking lot. I got a copy of the receipts, and even the insurance claim which put my mind at ease. I also got to see the "before" photos of the damage.

To be fair, my Pilot has been fine since Honda had a factory tech repair it. I am hoping for the best. We love the car, outside of these problems. But, my confidence in Honda is shaken. If the problems return, I feel legal recourse will be my only option. I truly hope it does not come to this. Dealer has been great, Honda corporate not so much.

You have enough warranty left on it that you'll be covered if the car ends up having problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sometimes dealers play games with the Carfax, omitting service records and/or being overly vague. All the entries for my Pilot since I bought it just have a generic "vehicle serviced" description with zero specifics. Multiple parts were replaced, etc. There is no record of any of that on the Carfax. Maybe it's just me, but it seems they are trying to hide the existence of problem.

A previous vehicle I purchased with only 4K miles on it had a similarly vague entry on the Carfax. I decided to investigate and it turned out that in this case "vehicle serviced" meant that the dealer bodyshop did metal repair and repainted the entire driver side of the car. At first, I feared it had been in an accident but I found out that the car had simply been keyed in a parking lot. I got a copy of the receipts, and even the insurance claim which put my mind at ease. I also got to see the "before" photos of the damage.

To be fair, my Pilot has been fine since Honda had a factory tech repair it. I am hoping for the best. We love the car, outside of these problems. But, my confidence in Honda is shaken. If the problems return, I feel legal recourse will be my only option. I truly hope it does not come to this. Dealer has been great, Honda corporate not so much.

You have enough warranty left on it that you'll be covered if the car ends up having problems.
wow! That’s frustrating!
I’ve been trying to decide for 2 years what to get. I’m not crazy about the look of the exterior of the pilot, but it has everything I’m looking for in an SUV so I decided on it. I’ve always only owned Toyota’s and Honda’s bc they’ve been great vehicles and have great resale value. I decided on the pilot over the highlander bc the Pilot has more space inside and offers entertainment for the 2nd row, which my kids have in my 4Runner. My current 08 4Runner is just fine, but I’m ready for new bells and whistles.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
wow! That’s frustrating!
I’ve been trying to decide for 2 years what to get. I’m not crazy about the look of the exterior of the pilot, but it has everything I’m looking for in an SUV so I decided on it. I’ve always only owned Toyota’s and Honda’s bc they’ve been great vehicles and have great resale value. I decided on the pilot over the highlander bc the Pilot has more space inside and offers entertainment for the 2nd row, which my kids have in my 4Runner. My current 08 4Runner is just fine, but I’m ready for new bells and whistles.
Good luck. This is our second Pilot, and it has been frustrating. But, we're going on two weeks of having it back and so far, so good. My wife is happy. She drives 35-40 minutes each way to work listening to SiriusXM or streaming Pandora, so it's been put to the test. I am cautiously optimistic. If we make it six months without any more issues I'll then be in agreement with Honda that it's fixed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This not a good deal. RES/NAV is available on the EX-L trim. A new EX-L AWD will cost ~$37K. If your set on the Elite trim, the 2018 model year has an older version Infotainment system that does not have the problems experienced by Tourist2012. I don’t know the legal rights of buying used vs new as applied to lemon laws, but I would find out before paying $39K for a used vehicle,without Honda‘s CPO warranty, when you can buy the exact same car new for ~10% more. My advice is to continue to drive your “just fine” 4Runner until Honda comes up with a permanent solution for this Infotainment system problem.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I'm gonna say pass on this one... price is too high.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say they are right in the ball park at $38k for the Elite. However it would depend on whether it is a CPO by Honda, which gifts you a better warranty. I have the 2019 Touring (which is the elite minus heated steering, vented seats, panoramic roof) and I love it. The 9 speed updates vs 2018 are so much better. HOWEVER!!!!!!! Beware that the Elites and Tourings of 2019 are suffering from faulty Infotainment Systems. There is a lawsuit in California against Honda because if you have issues, the replacement head units are still faulty so it is just a matter or time. My 2019 Touring is such a case. Bought brand new in Nov 2019. Infotainment went out Jan 2020. And as of today, it starting to have the same audible “pops” it displayed before it went out in Jan. I love the vehicle though!!!!! It drives nice, can haul enough and the family loves the RES and comfort. And I drive back and forth from Vancouver BC to Orlando FL once a year (8k round trip).

I’d really look into the infotainment system of the vehicle before I bought it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve definitely passed on the vehicle. I’m looking at 2020 Touring now for a similar price. I don’t need the elite. Ventilated seats in FL sound nice, but I don’t have it in my current vehicle so I’ll survive. Lol

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts
I have a '19 Elite and I haven't had any problems.

For pricing ideas, check cargurus.com

Filter accordingly and it will tell you... bad deal, fair deal, good deal, great deal.

A few weeks ago a guy at work was buying a CPO Q50.... he was considering a 2019 with 27k miles. Using the site he was able to negotiate down based on 2 cars which were great deals while his was originally a fair deal.

Not sure if you're paying cash and interest rates have dropped recently but the difference in rate may negate any CPO deal versus buying new.

As far as selling a car or turning in a car early, it's not something I wanted to do but life happens.

When I got divorced I strongly considered it but I'd rather eat chicken thighs and ramen noodles when I didn't have my kids.

A divorce, a job change, a new child or suddenly taking care of a parent or sibling alters lifestyles.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I’ve definitely passed on the vehicle. I’m looking at 2020 Touring now for a similar price. I don’t need the elite. Ventilated seats in FL sound nice, but I don’t have it in my current vehicle so I’ll survive. Lol
I am also in FL, and I gotta say the cooled seats are my favorite part of the vehicle. My wife is kind of a kook and uses heated seats year-round, though.

FWIW, I got roughly $5K off sticker when I bought my '19 new.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Honestly, I would take another poster's advice. Stay away from the touring/elite. Having had the 2019 elite I now have a 2020 ex-l. The transmission will eventually give you problems, the infotainment has issues more than the ex-l. The ex-l also comes with optional navi/rear entertainment. It can be had for $36k.

A bottle of transmission fluid for a ex-l is $8 approx. Whereas a touring/elite is $30-40 and you need at least 3 quarts and a special computer/procedure.

You can survive without the touring/elite over the ex-l. The ex-l also has the bells and whistles just not as much. A new pilot is expected to come out this year along with an Acura MDX. If you can hold off, Lexus is to release a competitive suv within the next few years.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
I’ve been trying to decide on a new SUV for about 2 years. My biggest want and need are 3rd row accessibility (no bench, must be captains chairs in 2nd row) and tv entertainment for the back. I’ve had my current 4Runner for 10 years And it has TVs in the headrests for the kids. So I want that to continue for them bc we drive for travel often to see family.
Are you in the snowbelt and/or drive off-road?
Since you're looking for a people mover with captain's chair style seating and a built-in home theater, why not get a Sienna?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts